300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifts

What would be the general shift for a local or federal law enforcement agent? As in, how long would one shift be? Would it be sixteen hours straight then a day off, then another sixteen hours? A 9-5 type deal? Or does it all depend on the agency and your position? Lets not include overtime, that an agent might want to put in.
    Thanks.
    Devilpup
    -Second Amendment: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

In my department patrol officers work an 8.25 hour shift. We work five days on, two days off, five days on, three days off.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

NOT AN LEO

The local agencies that I have experience with, generally have three shifts. Starting at 6-7am until 2-3pm, then 2-3pm until 10-11pm, and then third shift brings up the tail end. I realize that some if not many agencies do have 12 hour shifts, so "shifts" definantly vary by department. As for the days off, that also varies depending on how long the shifts are and how many officers work for the dept. I have heard something like 5 on 2 off, 5 on 3 off, but again this varys a lot. As for federal jobs, I do not know, however assignments within federal agencies appear to be longer and more invovled than day-to-day policing (no offense to anyone, its just a different type of job), and because of this I think their hours put in tend to be longer and less "shift-like". Ok, well dont take my word for it, I am sure some actual LEO's will reply (and maybe even show that I was wrong about this stuff), so make sure to read what they have to say. I just thought I would give my 2 cents since no one else had yet replied.

Best- John

Comment

We work 4-10 hours shifts, with a shift bid once a year.
        There's no substitute for strength,
        and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

I wish we ran 4-10's. Typical 8 hour shift down here...

Comment

Sudbury Police (I'm a paramedic, but I talk to the police all the time)

They work a five week rotation.

Four day shifts (0800-1700 i believe) two days off
            four afternoon shifts (1600-0200) three days off
            four day shifts (0800-1700) two days off
            Four afternoon shifts (1600-0200) two days off
            SEVEN night shifts (0000-0800) six days off.

Sounds like a horrible schedule to me.

Crissy

Comment

Old department was 11.5 hour shifts. Four days on, four off.
              New department is 12 hour shifts. 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. Allowing for every other weekend off.
              In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Thanks for all the information everyone!
                Devilpup
                -Second Amendment: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Comment

I've heard that FBI agents (maybe just new ones?) are basically on-call 24/7/365.

If (when?!?!) I get on with the Sheriffs Department, they work 12.5 hour shifts 5 on, 5 off, 2 on, 2 off in the jails. Dunno about patrol.

Comment

Thanks for your help!
                    Devilpup

Comment

12 hour shifts

We work 12 hr shifts w/ every other weekend off. one week we work M/T/F/S/S with Wed/Thurs off, the next week the opposite. It gives you alot of time to find non LE things to annoy you. 12 hours is the way to go....

Comment

I"ll keep that in mind...lol, thanks.
                        Devilpup

Comment

Originally posted by medic_9 View Post
                          Sudbury Police (I'm a paramedic, but I talk to the police all the time)

They work a five week rotation.

Four day shifts (0800-1700 i believe) two days off
                          four afternoon shifts (1600-0200) three days off
                          four day shifts (0800-1700) two days off
                          Four afternoon shifts (1600-0200) two days off
                          SEVEN night shifts (0000-0800) six days off.

Sounds like a horrible schedule to me.

Crissy
                          Sorry, that's not quite right,

4 Days (0800-1700)
                          2 Off
                          3 Afternoons (1600-0200)
                          2 Off
                          3 Days (0800-1700)
                          2 Off
                          4 Afternoons (1600-0200)
                          2 Off
                          7 Nights (0000-0800)
                          6 Off

Seems complicated, but really, the most you ever work is 4 days, you get 2 out of 5 weekends off, and you work 4 weeks, and get 1 week off...
                          Personally, i think getting a week off every month is great...take 1 day off after that, and you got yourself a all inclusive trip to...wherever!- No need to worry about using up your holiday time to go on a vacation...

Comment

WOW,I was about to comment on the number of non LEOs responding to this when I noticed it is 4 freakin years old.Gotta love newbies,
                            Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4082 users online. 212 members and 3870 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X