Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you need 20/20 vision to be a cop?

Hello!

I'm going to take the Honolulu Police Dept written test tomorrow, and would get lasik surgery if my eyes are not up to snuff.

What's the eyesight requirement? Any of you get lasik? What do you recommend I do for my eyesight which is pretty bad without contacts.

Thank You

Originally posted by broke
    Hello!

I'm going to take the Honolulu Police Dept written test tomorrow, and would get lasik surgery if my eyes are not up to snuff.

What's the eyesight requirement? Any of you get lasik? What do you recommend I do for my eyesight which is pretty bad without contacts.

Thank You
    Call them up and speak with their recruiter directly. To answer your question it is corrected 20/20 and uncorrected 20/40. I found this in the application section of thier website after about 3 minutes of searching.
    I know I should feed the trolls but it is just SO hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy
      Call them up and speak with their recruiter directly. To answer your question it is corrected 20/20 and uncorrected 20/40. I found this in the application section of thier website after about 3 minutes of searching.
      Lasik it is i guess

thanks

Comment

Lasik it is i guess

thanks
        I went the Lasik route, too. After my 3 month check up. it was discovered that I now have 20/20 in each eye, but together I can see 20/15. That's from basic lasik. You can really benefit from it. Some more than others, obviously.

Comment

I loved Lasik. However I can't emphasize this enough that you need to talk with a recruiter. I have a sneeking feeling that there is a waiting period after eye surgery that they'll have. Most places require you to wait 3 months to a year.
          I know I should feed the trolls but it is just SO hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy
            I found this in the application section of thier website after about 3 minutes of searching.
            Isn't it amazing what can be done when you take initiative?
            Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
            Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Lasik it is i guess

thanks
              That's gonna be hard to pull off when you're "broke."

I love being cheezy.

Comment

lol, hey I'm a journalist and we're poor by nature.

anyway thanks for the replies and for the advice about lasik

Comment

To answer the question, I've never heard of an agency that had vision requirements as long as you could do your job.

My guess is you are over-exaggerating. If you can wear contacts (as opposed to glasses) then your vision isn't all that bad. It's when they don't make contacts as strong as your Rx that you need to worry.
                  You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
                    To answer the question, I've never heard of an agency that had vision requirements as long as you could do your job.

My guess is you are over-exaggerating. If you can wear contacts (as opposed to glasses) then your vision isn't all that bad. It's when they don't make contacts as strong as your Rx that you need to worry.
                    exagerrate I do not... if I take off my contacts I cannot safely drive a car.

everything looks like blobs

Comment

I've only ever been turned down by one department on account of my vision. They required at least 20/40 vision in each eye; my right eye is almost 20/20, but my left is about 20/70. I've often wondered if Lasik on just my left eye would correct the entire problem. Been wearing glasses for 35 years, and I hate them with a passion. And, I am just over the line to where I am required to wear glasses at all times when I drive. PITA! And to make matters worse, even though I'm near sighted, I now need bifocals to read fine print a lot anymore!

State requirement is no worse that 20/100 in either eye. I think they have a waiver if your vision can be corrected by wearing contacts, worse vision can pass. What it amounts to, if your glasses were knocked off in a scuffle(as mine have been many times), could you see well enough to still do the job?

At first, many departments were against anyone who had underwent radialkeratotomy, because of known bad results or side effects. As time went on, Lasik was developed, and has been more widely accepted(unlike r.k., Lasik is more accurate, and uses no tools).

The only thing between me and Lasik anymore is the expense.
                      Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

Hello!

Thank You

If you don't make it with HPD, I would recommend trying with Maui Police Department if you are willing to move to a different island. Good luck either way!

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44

I don't know...my vision is pretty bad and I wear contacts. I have astigmatism in my right eye and have ridiculously thick glasses (that I never wear).
                          I was a little worried about that myself, but I have been considering having Lasik for awhile. Where I am going to get the money...I don't know. I may be able to squeeze it out of my parents but they are currently paying 5,000 on oral surgery and braces for me...so yeah...

Comment

exagerrate I do not... if I take off my contacts I cannot safely drive a car.

everything looks like blobs

My eyes were VERY bad. Without contacts or glasses I can only make out shades of color. I wore a combination of glasses and contacts so I could get a date
                            My currently department took me with no problems. Now I went and had PRK done and see about 70% better.

TGY
                            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiFive0
                              If you don't make it with HPD, I would recommend trying with Maui Police Department if you are willing to move to a different island. Good luck either way!
                              I have a stigmatism, can that still be corrected with lasik . Also what are the side effects from the surgery? How is the surgery performed, is there any pain?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6059 users online. 354 members and 5705 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X