Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question.

To anyone who can help me:

I am a twenty year old aspiring police officer, and I have absolutely no Idea how to obtain or apply for a position, or the nature of the application process.I have purchased numerous Arco examination prep books, and can ace them all now, but I don't know that the real life exams will be that easy, or if they will even be anything like the arco exams. I would like some advice about what I should do. Do I need college? Where can I go to school? I know a friend who went through some sort of school and he became a "commissioned deputy sheriff". I would like to know what that means also. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also, how do I go about asking for a "Ride-a-long" with the local PD? Thank you all for your time.

Misguided

Originally posted by Sgt.Hartman
    To anyone who can help me:

I am a twenty year old aspiring police officer, and I have absolutely no Idea how to obtain or apply for a position, or the nature of the application process.I have purchased numerous Arco examination prep books, and can ace them all now, but I don't know that the real life exams will be that easy, or if they will even be anything like the arco exams. I would like some advice about what I should do. Do I need college? Where can I go to school? I know a friend who went through some sort of school and he became a "commissioned deputy sheriff". I would like to know what that means also. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also, how do I go about asking for a "Ride-a-long" with the local PD? Thank you all for your time.

Misguided
    go to a dept that you are interested in, ask if hiring ask for application,, test are basically math, reading comprehension, english, and some memory. if you want to work at a dept with good pay and advancment, probably need at least 60hrs of college,, if you go to a "school academy program" you ll need around 4k to 6k dollars. application process- fitness test, paper test, interview, background check, another interview, physcological exam,, academy = job. dont know about ride alongs, my pd didnt have them.

Comment

I can help you out on the ride along question. I have been on two ride alongs. One here for the local PD and one in San Jose with a friend of our families' who is a PO. Simply go to the department you want to ride with and ask whoever is there to assist you at the desk. They should give you a little form to fill out with basic questions about where you live, you're telephone number, drivers license number, what dates you're available to ride and basic stuff like that. After turning it in, they will check your records and make sure you haven't been convicted of any crimes and see what your background looks like. If you're clean they should give you a call back (usually within a day or maybe up to a weak, I guess it depends on the Dept.). I'm sure if it's a relatively small deparment they should get to it right away.

Comment

Hartman,
        If you have questions about a certain department go to that website and I'm sure it will give you a lot more info. In general, most departments (good sized depts) start with the basic application. From there you get contacted for testing. Written/ comprehensive /math/ ... ya know the basic stuff. Pass that and you move on. In no particular order you will get tested on physical ability, psych, medical exam, interviews and or some type of scenario based questioning.

As for ride-a-longs check with the department you are interested in and others in the area. My department will only allow someone in the hiring process to ride a long unless you have an "in" with the department. Others let any one go with a small criminal checkor similar.

On going to an academy: generally a couple ways to get in. Big departments usually run their own academy so they pay for it once you have completed the hiring process. Some pay you while your there, some don't, a lot depends on the department. Pass the academy and YOU HAVE A JOB. Second most common way is YOU pay for your academy through a local college and get your certification for a peace officer (called several different names) then YOU go shopping for a JOB. Some department will take youi because you have saved them money but others may not. Big departments usually only take their own graduates from their academy. Check with who you would like to work for and what types of things interest you within a department BEFORE you invest YOUR money, only to find out that your desired dept will not accept your cert.

Step 1 -- get an application
        Last edited by CarCop; 07-09-2005, 05:37 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3165 users online. 153 members and 3012 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X