300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hired out of college?

Tennsix mentioned in a previous thread that most PD's won't hire anyone under 23 years of age. I'll be 22 when I graduate next May and was hoping to get hired on as soon as I'm out of school, but I've been considering other options in case things don't go as planned . My question is, how many of you, or how many people do you know were hired right out of college (around 21 or 22 years old). Also, for those of you that couldn't get hired out of college, what job/career did you end up in to hold you over until you could get hired?

**FORMER LEO** well its not that they wont hire someone just out of college,,its about maturity and so on... the last year or so before i got out, i was looking at other depts hard... alot seemed to be having problems with hiring young applicants,,ie- never had a job, unrealistic work ideas (i want weekends off, dont wanna work nights, so on). however i know of several guys that got hired their first time at the ages of 21 and 22. but if you are mature and squared away, you have a good chance. obviously they want someone who is proactive, not someone who has a sluggish attitude, but they have to weigh that against maturity since this job is so demanding ( split decision making, working sometimes without constent supervison, and making decisions that can ruin or take a life) sorry for rambling,,but like i said, if you re squared away and have a level head,,,go for it. oh yea,,i got hired at 23, 6 months out of college. but i was married and had a kid,,,no dont go get a wife and kid just for a job ,,good luck to you
    Last edited by gotthblues; 07-08-2005, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
      no dont go get a wife and kid just for a job
      DAMMIT! Welp, guess I'll go call the lawyers...

edit-- Thanks for the reply Gotthblues.

Comment

Originally posted by JKooL
        Tennsix mentioned in a previous thread that most PD's won't hire anyone under 23 years of age. I'll be 22 when I graduate next May and was hoping to get hired on as soon as I'm out of school, but I've been considering other options in case things don't go as planned . My question is, how many of you, or how many people do you know were hired right out of college (around 21 or 22 years old). Also, for those of you that couldn't get hired out of college, what job/career did you end up in to hold you over until you could get hired?

I graduated college in the Fall 2004, and applied for the local PD. It took me 6 months for my application and process to go through. In the meantime while I was waiting, I was a waiter. Tips was my source of income. a good job to hold you over while you wait.

Comment

I am not sure why someone would say that most departments would not hire until 23. The legal age to be a police officer in Florida is 19. Granted, I do not know many department that will hire a 19 year old, being that you cannot legally purchase a handgun under 21. However with that being said... I have seen many people get hired at 21 years of age. It is more about maturity than age.
          In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4802 users online. 241 members and 4561 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X