300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescription Medication Concern

I am a 35 year old married male that is well educated and has a solid record of success in the business world. Now that I have decided to investigate doing what I have truly always wanted to, be a cop, I am concerned about a very small dosage medication I have taken for about three years now. It is an anti depressant and I have found it to be very helpful in relieving feelings anxiety that shadowed me for most of my adult life. I dont have plans to stop taking it.

I am far from a basket case or in some way a risk to a police departartment though as I have now begun preparing a couple applications I really am afraid my application will be dismissed simply on this fact alone.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Frank,
    As a background investigator I can tell you that your taking rx meds would be a big red flag to me and my agency. I don't think it would DQ you right off the bat however (I'm speaking for my own agency), but it's going to be a hickey. If you just went through everything else with flying colors and appeared to be a super outstanding person w/out any other hickeys then you might progress to the next stage. But if you have anything unfavorable in your background that could be added to your anxiety problem, I think my agency would see to it that you were DQ because you were too much of a liability.

Comment

No Chance / No way Why even try you are not able to be a police officer with a condition like that ??
      We would cut you off at application phase

Comment

Depression seems to be a huge issue for most departments. Especially if you are on medications for it. It is quite different, than lets say being on a stomach medication. Good luck to you though.
        In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Jalesco
          Any thoughts are welcome.
          Don't listen to Bodie; he says that about everything.

It's not an automatic disqualifier, but it looks really bad. I can promise you no large departments will hire you; your best bet is smaller ones.

Comment

Yeah never listen to the guy that does the screening and hiring go for the rookie advice and "feel good " encouragement so you waste a lot of time & and a couple of years getting turned down even by small agencies.

Comment

Talk to the local agency you would like to work for. Be straight up with them and see what they say. Cant hurt to try reguardless of what others might think.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Jalesco
                Now that I have decided to investigate doing what I have truly always wanted to, be a cop, I am concerned about a very small dosage medication I have taken for about three years now. I dont have plans to stop taking it.

If its something you have "truly always wanted" then why wouldnt you have any plans to stop taking it? To me, that doesnt sound like you want the job bad enough, and will most likely be passed over for someone yonger, more qualified and with less baggage. Dont mean to sound like an ***, but thats the way it goes... Like it or not.

Comment

Prescription Meds

Frank, we all assume you came to this forum seeking honest answers. Okay, the use of medications in general is not a disqualifier. The use of meds for anxiety/depression could be. You also state that you don't plan to stop using the medication. Hopefully that doesn't include after the need for them has passed, and hopefully as well, that need will pass soon. Your situation would be a possible red flag for me. Best advice: Be honest in your application.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                    Frank, we all assume you came to this forum seeking honest answers. Okay, the use of medications in general is not a disqualifier. The use of meds for anxiety/depression could be. You also state that you don't plan to stop using the medication. Hopefully that doesn't include after the need for them has passed, and hopefully as well, that need will pass soon. Your situation would be a possible red flag for me. Best advice: Be honest in your application.
                    Phillip,
                    Although I don

Comment

[QUOTE=code3_K9]Phillip,
                      Although I don

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                        There are forms of depression that aren't chemical depression; and they have their own range of medications.
                        Fair enough... Im by no means a doc or expert, just goin off the little info I did happen to know.

Comment

My advice would be to talk to someone of importance at the agency you wish to apply at and tell them about you're concerns. They are the only one that can give you a qualified yes or no. Just be ready to accept the answer.
                          Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

You guys are depressing

Comment

wow

Originally posted by Bodie
                              You guys are depressing
                              NOW THATS A GOOD REPLY

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5392 users online. 308 members and 5084 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X