300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long did it take.....

How long did it take from the time you made your mind up to become an LEO before you applied?

The reason I ask is because my mind is made up but I have two or three financial obligations to clear up before I submit my application. The thought being that I want to go into this with the least amount of outside stresses and distractions.

What did you guys do (other than working out, running, training, etc.) to keep your mind occupied until you could start the applications process?

I'm about to go nuts!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TRPR2B
    Be a leader, not a follower

What did you guys do (other than working out, running, training, etc.) to keep your mind occupied until you could start the applications process?
    Worked my regular job

Comment

Tryed to volunteer with the local PD... Do some ride-a-longs...

Doesn't really keep your mind off it, but it take alittle of the edge off...
      ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

Originally posted by Hutch
        Tryed to volunteer with the local PD... Do some ride-a-longs...

Doesn't really keep your mind off it, but it take alittle of the edge off...
        I have been on a couple of ride-a-longs. That does help a little. The only problem with the PD that I am going to try to get on with is their ride-a-long policy is 1 per year! I will definitely check into the volunteer program and see what's up. I will submit my first "preliminary" application in about 2 weeks. I hope to get hired for their January school.

Comment

Originally posted by trpr2b
          How long did it take from the time you made your mind up to become an LEO before you applied?
          The first time it was about 2 weeks into my last semester in college when I realized I had to get a jobby-job.

The second time it was about 2 weeks after I put in the paper-work to get out of the Navy, and I realized (you guessed it) I had to get a jobby-job.
          I know I should feed the trolls but it is just SO hard.

Comment

Their are other departments that you can ride with.

Originally posted by trpr2b
            I have been on a couple of ride-a-longs. That does help a little. The only problem with the PD that I am going to try to get on with is their ride-a-long policy is 1 per year! I will definitely check into the volunteer program and see what's up. I will submit my first "preliminary" application in about 2 weeks. I hope to get hired for their January school.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
              Their are other departments that you can ride with.
              Yes, I know. I have actually rode with 2 different agencies and will probably ride with a third in a few weeks.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

I didn't make up my mind to become a police officer until way after I applied. A friend said he was going to apply. I didn't believe him, and I told him I would go with him just to call his bluff. We applied and tested, and he didn't complete the process. I did, and scored well enough to be hired within six months of first applying. In my department runs its own mandatory academy, and prior experience is not needed. I figured if I did that well, I might as well stick with it.
                I finished my semester during the process and academy.
                It was the only department I applied to. Ten years later, I am still there. It was better than finishing school and being a chemist.

Comment

Originally posted by stalker3
                  I didn't make up my mind to become a police officer until way after I applied. A friend said he was going to apply. I didn't believe him, and I told him I would go with him just to call his bluff. We applied and tested, and he didn't complete the process. I did, and scored well enough to be hired within six months of first applying. In my department runs its own mandatory academy, and prior experience is not needed. I figured if I did that well, I might as well stick with it.
                  I finished my semester during the process and academy.
                  It was the only department I applied to. Ten years later, I am still there. It was better than finishing school and being a chemist.
                  wow,

that's pretty interesting. Why didn't you friend complete the process?

Comment

It took me Five years into a career of computers to realize I was not supposed to be a computer geek...

I love being a LEO... They wouldn't have to pay to do this job! But we will keep that quiet for now
                    ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

Originally posted by Hutch
                      It took me Five years into a career of computers to realize I was not supposed to be a computer geek...

I love being a LEO... They wouldn't have to pay to do this job! But we will keep that quiet for now
                      I myself have spent the last 13 years in the private sector. Mostly in management but the last 4 as a business owner with two other business partners. I've known since the age of 15 that this was my "calling". Almost became a state trooper back in 1995 but circumstances and situations prevented it.

I kind of thought I had it "out of my system" until this past winter. My wife and I went out to eat with some friends and I commented about not noticing a police cruiser parked at the neighbors house before. One of my other neighbors commented that he was a part-time officer and sometimes they let him take the car home.

That got me to thinking, pondering, checking, dreaming, etc. I checked into it and found out that there aren't any part time positions open with the local deptartment, but several full time positions are available. The schedule is 4 on 4 off. I did a ride-a-long in March and got to agonizing over it and decided that I could take a consultant role in my/our company, pay off most of my personal debt and go try to do what I love.

Application is all filled out and will be turned in this Friday.

Wish me luck.

Comment

Good Luck.....

You won't be dissapointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Satifaction Guarenteed

Comment

I was collecting my railroad unemployment, so their rules at the time,
                          i did not have to get a job for any less money than i was making
                          at the time, so i was old enough at 23 and had a few hooks,
                          used them and was hired in a few months. and here i been 22 yrs
                          later and it's all been great.....
                          " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                          " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I knew when I was in high school that I wanted to be a cop....It just takes awhile.....keep your head up...that all you can do...

Comment

I knew for a long time that I wanted to be a cop.Had to do the Elementary,junior,and High School things first off.then had to do some regular work for a couple of years,then I got into Law Enforcement at the age of 20 about 3 months before I turned 21.So about 18-19 years of waiting before it finally happened.i couldn't see myself doing anythng else.
                              FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5902 users online. 317 members and 5585 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X