300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have to pay...

Are you required by law to pay a speeding ticket you receive in the mail, from a photo radar camera? I was arguing with my mom that you are required to pay, but she said you don't have to, that by law, the police have to give you your ticket in person, or otherwise, you don't have to pay it.

I figure, heck, you might as well pay it. There is no reason for getting in more trouble by police for not paying it. Just admit you were wrong, pay it, and move on.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

We don't have any of these in my jurisdiction, so I can't speak from personal experience. Although...my first thought is...what would be the point of sending a ticket if it was optional?? Wouldn't that be about the same as asking for a donation? If it was optional who in their right mind would pay it?

I would strongly suggest to your mother, if she received one of these tickets, that she treat the ticket as any other. Either suck it up and pay it or go to court. Otherwise, don't be surprised when a warrant pops up in a couple months with her name on it.
    "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

I know in agencies in Gwinnett there are people who thought the same thing and a subsequent bench warrant was issued for their arrest. A citation is a citation.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/handcuff.asp
        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I sent a gut a ticket via certified mail and he failed to appear/pay. His license was suspended and a bench warrant was issued. I was directing traffic, at the time of the violation. I could not stop him then.

Comment

If I received a ticket in the mail, I would assume that I was expected to pay it. These systems cost a fortune...they are not being used to remind you to drive safer.
            "Only imperfection is intolerant of imperfection"

Comment

Ok, here's the deal. If you receive a traffic citation in the mail in Arizona, I am assuming a red light violation, you are not required to pay the citation. In AZ you must be cited in person or by an officer of the court, ie. process server. Here's the catch, If you do not pay the citation as mailed and the process server has to serve you guess what, you pay there salary as well.

If you are hell bent on trying to avoid the ticket, which I wouldn't recommend, try and go after the company that operates the red light cameras. They are required to monitor and test the eqpuipment on a regular basis and provide that information upon demand. If they are as so much as one day off with the testing times, the citation can be voided out.

My suggestion, pay the fine, it's worth it in the long run.
              There's no substitute for strength,
              and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

Originally posted by StephWhit
                If you don't have to pay your ticket since you got it by mail, then I don't have to pay my insurance bill since it comes by mail.

I agree this is a stupid question. OH, here is a ticket, but only pay it if you want. We know since we mailed it to you, you don't have to pay it if you don't want to.
                If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

It's a big gamble to not pay it.
                  Last edited by jakflak; 07-07-2005, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys for the reply.

I figured that you did have to pay it; now I can prove my mom wrong by showing her that even cops have said you have to pay it

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                      My favorite story was the guy who didn't want to pay his ticket, so he mailed in a picture of the money. The cops mailed back a picture of handcuffs.

He paid the fine..
                      That is too funny. Is it really true?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveinUtah
                        That is too funny. Is it really true?

Apparently :

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/handcuff.asp

Comment

LOL. That is funny. I guess I caught your post before you edited it

Comment

Originally posted by DaveinUtah
                            LOL. That is funny. I guess I caught your post before you edited it
                            I just edited it because someone else posted that link already; I just hadn't looked at it yet.

Comment

I just edited it because someone else posted that link already; I just hadn't looked at it yet.
                              I missed it, but that is because I never read what Delta posts.

Just kidding

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5715 users online. 333 members and 5382 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X