Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Educate me

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Educate me

    Everyone says that a person going into law enforcement should NOT get a degree in criminal justice That comes up all the time i know. Im pursuing my BA in psychology ....I was talking to a local detective and he said cyber crimes are a huge problem right now and that a degree in computers would be just as good, what does everyone think?
    Smile and Wait for Flash

  • #2
    Sounds good to me, some police departments and Fed agencys have seperate cyber crime units.
    Kelly

    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

    And no you can't have any.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 1sgkelly
      Sounds good to me, some police departments and Fed agencys have seperate cyber crime units.
      Kelly, you keep forgetting that you don't know anything.
      Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
      Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

      Comment


      • #4
        A degree is a degree...that's more than most...any degree will get you far...some language classes will take you farther...no matter what in...more education can't be bad...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by WILDWDTOUR
          Everyone says that a person going into law enforcement should NOT get a degree in criminal justice That comes up all the time i know.
          That is a total fallacy, repeated by those that either have no degree themselves (jealousy), or have no knowledge whatsoever of higher education.

          A college degree in ANY subject is an extremely valuable commodity in the job market. If you don't believe me, scan the classified ads of any major newspaper. Outside of the highly technical areas like computers, look at the ads for jobs that require a college degree. The wording will be something like "Requires a two/four-year degree from an accredited college or university". If anyone can show me a job listing that says "A degree in anything but Criminal Justice", I'll FedEx them $100.

          Originally posted by WILDWDTOUR
          Im pursuing my BA in psychology ....I was talking to a local detective and he said cyber crimes are a huge problem right now and that a degree in computers would be just as good, what does everyone think?
          You're going to have to put in your time working a cruiser before you even sniff working cyber crimes, so I wouldn't be thinking that far ahead.
          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Delta784
            That is a total fallacy, repeated by those that either have no degree themselves (jealousy), or have no knowledge whatsoever of higher education.

            A college degree in ANY subject is an extremely valuable commodity in the job market. If you don't believe me, scan the classified ads of any major newspaper. Outside of the highly technical areas like computers, look at the ads for jobs that require a college degree. The wording will be something like "Requires a two/four-year degree from an accredited college or university". If anyone can show me a job listing that says "A degree in anything but Criminal Justice", I'll FedEx them $100.
            Be careful Delta, I have half a mind to place an ad in the local wanted section just to cash in on that.
            Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
            Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Puget Sound
              Be careful Delta, I have half a mind to place an ad in the local wanted section just to cash in on that.
              Like I wouldn't check into it???
              Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

              Comment


              • #8
                I've got a buddy that made sergeant with the Indiana State Police in three years and that was 10 years ago. He's got a Master's degree in Criminal Justice and swore to me all the time while I was going to school and before going into LE seven years ago to NOT get a CJ degree. His PERSONAL, and I say personal, feeling is that if you have to get out of the profession, you'd have a better suited degree to fall back on, i.e. education, psychology, etc. Just his opinion. And now, I'd have to agree with him. I'm about 10 hrs away from a AS degree and if I decide to finish with my BS, it will be in Political Science, not CJ. Again Delta, these are just the opinions coming from southern Indiana, LOL.
                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

                * "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

                * Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Delta784
                  Like I wouldn't check into it???
                  HELP WANTED: Job. CJ Degrees need not apply!!!

                  Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                  Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have a CJ degree and I think it's helped me tremendously as a police officer, but if I ever wanted to do anything else I'd be hard pressed to be able to apply it anywhere unless I stayed in the CJ field in some form or fashion. Some places just want you to have "a" degree, so a cj degree is better than no degree!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Puget Sound
                      Kelly, you keep forgetting that you don't know anything.
                      How much did retired pay you?
                      Kelly

                      We are the thin blue line
                      between you
                      and all the money in the world.

                      And no you can't have any.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        IMHO, a Degree in a Specialised field of any type limits your future endeavors.

                        FI, 20 years ago my brother was talked into going to the Seminary by my parents (I'm the black sheep of the family...and I was a Cop!). He got a degree in ...Whatever its called... Bible or Ministerial Service or something special. He got done with College and into the working world and discovered he didn't want to be a Minister. Whats he doing now? A mid-level Supervisor at an Inventory Company. His degree is useless and he would be just as far along in his carreer without it, since he was always a number whiz.

                        He'd probably be a lot further along if he wasn't such a judgemental uptight-***, but that's a different story...
                        Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Creeker
                          He'd probably be a lot further along if he wasn't such a judgemental uptight-***, but that's a different story...
                          I'm glad I'm a geek, because otherwise I'd have to pay someone to get all the Coke Zero out of my laptop keyboard. As is, my sinuses may never be the same.
                          STFU! Another great suggestion from the same mind that brought you "Kiss my butt" and "Leave me alone"


                          Why not?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I feel your pain

                            I'm in the same boat as you. Everyone is telling me "Don't major in CJ!" But that is the only thing I want to study. I'm actually looking forward to my classes. At this point in my life, LE is what I want to do. How I'll feel in 10 years, I don't know. What if I decided to get a teaching degree to teach history and I ended up not wanting to be a teacher? I'd be in the same boat. You can't always live with a back-up plan. I'm sure that if your an intelligent, hardworking person you'll find success in whatever line of work you end up in. IMNLO (In my non-leo opinion)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You could work cybercrimes or later just help maintain dept. computer programs and websites.
                              Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5389 users online. 322 members and 5067 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X