Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    Florida wont accept the certification without 1 year on the job. You would have to look at doing the academy all over again and paying another $3000-$4000

Leave a comment:

• zap
    replied
    Originally posted by Kabal
    Try looking for a small department with not a lot of full time guys that supplements their patrol with Auxiliary and part time. You need to step stone it to get some experience. I went to the Academy in Ohio open enrollment and got a full time job 5 months after the academy. There are jobs out there, just have to get your experience somewhere and be able to impress them in the process.

My department is always looking for certified people as auxiliary that are actually willing to come in and put in their hours. I know a few in Northern Ohio (Mansfield area) that have as many auxiliary officers as they do full time.

Most of the agencies in that area WILL NOT put a cadet through the academy. Period. None of the SOs or the PDs will, because they cannot guarantee a positive end result in the academy or employment. Even if you are a hired and sworn officer, you pay for your own academy in north central Ohio.

Leave a comment:

• Kabal
    replied
    Try looking for a small department with not a lot of full time guys that supplements their patrol with Auxiliary and part time. You need to step stone it to get some experience. I went to the Academy in Ohio open enrollment and got a full time job 5 months after the academy. There are jobs out there, just have to get your experience somewhere and be able to impress them in the process.

My department is always looking for certified people as auxiliary that are actually willing to come in and put in their hours. I know a few in Northern Ohio (Mansfield area) that have as many auxiliary officers as they do full time.

Leave a comment:

• ftlaudcop
    replied
    sheesh.....glad i am not from ohio...
    and glad i got outta them staggnated states.....

Leave a comment:

replied
    I agree with Bodie. The cost of the academy to a department is not that prohibitive that it would make them choose one person over the other. A department that would do that is probably not a real good place to work.
    The academy certificate would come last if I was reviewing applicants.

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    Yeah and Columbus Police will disregard any acdemy and you will start all over by going through theirs Won't matter if you "graduated" the day before from a self pay class. I have taught at their academy and have seen officers with OPOTC Certification taking it all over again.

Leave a comment:

• aroc
    replied
    columbus will be hiring this fall. filing date for application is october 7th through november 17

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    You are correct Cleveland laid off officers and others have hiring freezes in effect

Leave a comment:

• Matto
    replied
    Don't think the economy in Ohio is real good right now. I'd look in other states.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by e-man
    Hey I just remembered I worked with a guy back in 95 who left to go to South Euclid, OH. ANyone here from that area can maybe PM me and if they could maybe get in touch with him? Thanks, Jobs in PA esp. Pittsburgh area are also very hard tpo come by. The city alone has lost since 1995 about 50 thousand residents. They were around 369-379 K and last year were down to 320K....

PM me we have our range there and I know almost all of them.

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    Take your Ohio Certfication and start applying to Florida agencies like Brevard County and Metro Dade etc.
    In Ohio we have passed on guys that have OPOTC and hired somebody without just because they had a higher degree or better background like no tickets at all or were in better physical condition etc. That OPOTC Certficate doesn't hold much weight in the hiring process unless you are alos of claen background , have a degree ( at least Assoiciates) and have no tickets have claen credit and are in top physical condition. Lots of things add up before that OPOTC Certfication will help. We can get you that within a year the rest we can't issue or pay for.

Leave a comment:

• e-man
    replied
    Hey I just remembered I worked with a guy back in 95 who left to go to South Euclid, OH. ANyone here from that area can maybe PM me and if they could maybe get in touch with him? Thanks, Jobs in PA esp. Pittsburgh area are also very hard tpo come by. The city alone has lost since 1995 about 50 thousand residents. They were around 369-379 K and last year were down to 320K....

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    Commission means you are hired and sworn in as a Peace Officer. You have a job. HUNDREDS go through self paid acdemies only to see their certification expire long before you get hired and I do mean hundreds

Sure your school commander si going to put a positive spin on the acdemy value before hire That's how he makes his BIG BUCKS.

It does not matter in Ohio if you have an academy under your belt.
    What matters is you meet the criteria for hire and pass all the written and background tests. Having OPOTC certification is pretty much bottom of the list for most agencies. They will send you to the 17 wekk academy.

If an agency can't afford to send you to school then they will be at the bottom of the pay scale and you won't make a living and won't stay on board as an officer anyway.

An Officer needs about $45,000 per yr to get by. Taking low pay now days just to be a cop is unfair to yourself and your family. I see guys that want to be cops living at levels way below what they should and their spouse and kid having to do without basic comforts and normal family things

That is just plain wrong and selfish on a guy who just wants to ba a cop to do to his family and himself. Get an education and qualify through normal channels to be an officer at an agency that pays you and pays for your school.

WE have some in Central Ohio that so what if you have an academy they send you to the CPD or OSHP acdemy anayway. SO you wasted money.

Have your school commander give you a TRUE list of all in Ohio that were OPOTC certifed statewide BEFORE becoming officers and compare that to the
    list of those that lost certification because it lapsed before they could land a job.

That will have proven my point.
    Haven't done this FOREVER to not know.

Leave a comment:

• ftlaudcop
    replied
    different hiring guidelines in different areas of the country,

bodies advice may only apply to ohio................

look at the economy and growth of any given state.......

I'm from Illinois, and the C.P.D. at that time told me i'd get

gray hair before they'd hire a young w/m , so after i got furloughed

from my job, and got the h.s. nonsense outta my system I just

asked around in " BREVARD COUNTY, FLA ( kennedy space center)

how do ya become a L.E.O...and bingo 1 yr later from the time i

got to fla, I was sworn into my police job at $5.37 hr......

just find out what area's of the country are growing and get away from
    stagnated area's.

www.schackdaddy.com

Leave a comment:

replied
    Check Woodmere and Highland Hills for part time work maybe even Highland Heights or Richmond Heights. Heck drop an APP with Marty's party (CHPD) if you're sadistic and self hating.LOL. Someone has got to be looking for part timers in NE Ohio.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5955 users online. 350 members and 5605 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X