300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parent concerned about lack of Post-Academy and FTO training

My son was hired by a Florida Law Enforcement agency in Sep 2004 after recently graduating from a Police Academy. He hasn't received any Post-Academy or FTO training yet; he's assigned to the Prisoner Transport unit, carries a weapon, and transports prisoners (potentially violent prisoners) around the county. I'm concerned for his safety and the public's safety, since everything I can find on the web indicates that new officers should be receiving (typically) some type of Post-Academy and/or FTO training soon as they are hired. Is this any issue my son should take to his supervisor??

If he's conducting prisoner transport, then it sounds like he's working in a detention facility. If that's the case, some states (like GA) give an agency up to 6 months to put the LEO through the proper certification courses for detention certification.

It's your son's responsibility to make sure that he is properly trained for his post and his supervisor's responsibility that his training requirements fall within the department's SOP. If he has concerns, he should address his supervisor always.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Don't be to concern "DAD," In California when a deputy sheriff graduates from the sheriff's academy 24 to 28 weeks of pre-academy training they are assigned to custody or dentention. Usually these deputies are there for 2-6 years of in house, on the job training in a controlled environment. It is up to the deputies to seek additional training to prepare them for street patrol. FTO- field training officers are tough, rough and expect a deputy to know his or her "Sh t" when they hit the street.

In CA. an academy certificate is awarded to a deputy who graduates from the sheriff's academy.

A P.O.S.T. certificate (Basic) is awarded after the deputy has completed 12 to 18 months of probationary employment

A P.O.S.T. certificate (Intermediate) is awarded after : 4 years of service or 2 years of service with a BS or BA degree or an accumulation of enough training units from a P.O.S.T. certified training facility.

Your son is doing ok. I hope this help.

www.****************************
      Good Luck and Test Well!
      Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
      6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3224 users online. 159 members and 3065 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X