300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Tattoo Policy

I've been wanting to get a tattoo on my forearm, a rather prominent place that's exposed pretty much 24/7, but I'm pretty much deadset on applying for and hopefully entering the NYPD in the next two years. I'm curious if having a tattoo on my upper forearm would be a problem regarding recruitment. Nothing obscene or radical, just a Celtic Cross as a way of displaying my Irish heritage and Catholic faith (which I heard may be more acceptable than another sort of tattoo in that area). Just curious if anyone could tell me if having that sort of tattoo on my forearm would be an issue, preferably if you know the NYPD policy but even if you have any info on most departments in general. Thanks.

It used to be in the old Rules & Procedures that tattoos had to be covered. The Patrol Guide doesn't address the issue anymore.

I had a Sgt, who didn't notice I had tattoos for about 6 months. He blurts out that I should be wearing long sleeves. Considering he was the training officer for the Boro and they had to drop the score on the Sgts. list for him to get promoted I wasn't surprised.

I'd get the tattoo now because if you take the job you won't even be able to afford one of those stick ons that wash off.
    Life is like a 3 ring circus and cops have a front row seat. It`s The Greatest Show On Earth.

Comment

I don't know what policy and procedure is for NYPD, but personally, I think visible tattoos in uniform looks EXTREMELY unprofessional. I have nothing against tattoos since I have one, but it looks ridiculous to see someone with tribal patterns, flames, barbed wire, crosses, et al, all over their arms in uniform.

What's to keep you from placing your tattoo somewhere more discreet where you can control when it's seen?
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

haha

Ya i got a bunch, including a very colorful half sleeve...

...but i think on $25,000 a year they would still hire me and let me wear sleevless uniform shirts. haha. I've seen a NYPD cop with a tattoo on the side of his neck that was visable... I don't think they really have a policy.
        "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by NyBob85
          I've been wanting to get a tattoo on my forearm, a rather prominent place that's exposed pretty much 24/7, but I'm pretty much deadset on applying for and hopefully entering the NYPD in the next two years. I'm curious if having a tattoo on my upper forearm would be a problem regarding recruitment. Nothing obscene or radical, just a Celtic Cross as a way of displaying my Irish heritage and Catholic faith (which I heard may be more acceptable than another sort of tattoo in that area). Just curious if anyone could tell me if having that sort of tattoo on my forearm would be an issue, preferably if you know the NYPD policy but even if you have any info on most departments in general. Thanks.

I wouldn't sweat it NYPD has a fairly leanient policy regarding tattoos. i know a guy in NYPD with a tattoo of a snake head biting his neck. Very visable and he is uniformed patrol.
          retired, NOT retarded

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6490 users online. 357 members and 6133 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X