300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Road is the Best Road

Hi- My name is Nate-J i'm a 18 year old High School Graduate.(Class of 5). I am very curious about becoming a cop. My biggest goal is to be on a SWAT Team for my City OF Brotherly Love. I just want to know would it be easier for me to go to the military to and then try to join the force or would it be much easier for me just to put in a application & take the test. I'm also interested in joining the Navy Or Army to be a Military Police.

Search...

This has been discussed ad nauseum here and in the job search board, there is currently one about marines v. college.
    "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Join the service and take college courses and get a BS degree by the time you are 21 no better route to take. NONE

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
        Join the service and take college courses and get a BS degree by the time you are 21 no better route to take. NONE
        Yeah, my recruiter fed me that same B.S. Never got to go to any school or take any class that was not taught by the USMC. To busy with workups or deployment. And then some @ssholes flew a plane into the WTC. Then any thought of school went out the window.

Got a lotta trigger time though!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nate-J
          would it be easier for me to go to the military to and then try to join the force

Military first, that way you'll get rid of all that **** and vinegar before you become a po-po. It's very important that you do not indicate your desire to be a Johnny SWAT-guy at any time during your hiring process.
          Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Nate.. I grew up in Philly and went thru the process several years ago and can give you some pretty decent advice.

In Philly you only have to be 19 to get on the job. Keep an eye out on the city website for the next test. Take the test. Its not that difficult (you get 1 hr to study a booklet). You will get your results back within 4-6 weeks. If you join the military your gonna lose out because the city may go back to holding a test every 2-3 years. The only good part of being in the military is the 10 points you would get (which you an get as being a reservist on AD for 6 months).

As far as getting on Stakeout (I will never call it SWAT). Your most likely gonna need a hook. Your also gonna have to spend about 3 years in a district on patrol before you can put in.
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

If I was in your position and to know what I know now (I'm 35 years old; 6 years Law enforcement) I would join the military. Go in for the training, discipline, and GI bill. While your in the military, get trained in the areas of communication, tactics, speech, etc.... all essential in the ubiquitous world of law enforcement.

Any civil service process will be long and arduous, you need to prepare yourself, or else prepare to fail. Don't sit on your "***" and wait for things to happen. Your mind, body, and spirit will atrophy. The journey to law enforcement is half the fun. Prepare yourself, stay out of trouble, don't do anything stupid, "Do what's right when no one is looking, and keep your credit clean.

Check out my website and book, you need to know what the dept. are looking for, so you can tailor yourself now.

Good luck with you law enforcement endeavor.

www.****************************.
              Good Luck and Test Well!
              Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
              6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

Originally posted by SO535
                Yeah, my recruiter fed me that same B.S. Never got to go to any school or take any class that was not taught by the USMC. To busy with workups or deployment. And then some @ssholes flew a plane into the WTC. Then any thought of school went out the window.

Got a lotta trigger time though!!
                LOL I got a buddy who actually did get his degree, and commision in 4 years as an enlisted Grunt, but he was more of an exception than the norm.

Who were you with?

Comment

I'm not an officer YET, but I was in both the Marine Corps and later Army. At least in my brief experience in applying, it seems to have helped.

From what I understand, the MOS you choose won't so much effect you, so MP doesn't need to be your only choice.

Consider the Reserves/Guard (although their kicking out just as much as Active). There are lots of civil service people in the reserve component, and they could help you out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2953 users online. 176 members and 2777 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X