Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflict of Interest

Have a questions for officers:

So you're on patrol, notice that the car in front of you is driving a little suspicious, decide to light 'em up for a traffic stop. Come to the window only to notice that it's one of your best friends, or family member, or even another officer. Ok, so obviously he's a little toasted (drunk). What do you do?

This isn't a quiz or anything I'm just wondering how the officers would handle a situation like this.
    Put 'em on Safe and let 'em Hang...

I would do the right thing...

Comment

I would probably have someone come pick him up and take him home. I wouldn't cite him for DUI if that's what you're asking. Officer discretion...just because I pulled him over doesn't mean I have to arrest him.

Comment

Well odds are that if its a family member or close friend I'm gonna know its their car so in all reality I wouldn't be pulling them over to begin with.

Comment

Ok that's fair enough, but what if say they caused an accident and you knew you could have done something to prevent it...then what? You wouldn't pull 'em over and have them phone someone else, or even your self to give them a ride home to prevent an incident from happening?
          Put 'em on Safe and let 'em Hang...

Comment

It doesn't matter if I recognize the car or not, they are getting stopped. Drunk is Drunk. They are just as likely to cause an accident as someone who is not your friend or family.

Now that I have them pulled over, there are options. It depends on attitude of the person and the relationship I have with the person.

I stopped a vehicle one night in my hometown. My PC for stop was 4 people in the front seat of a pickup. Someone wasn't wearing a seatbelt. When I walked up to the window, my step-sister's ex-boyfriend was driving. He was LIT! I used my usual t-stop greeting. He was trying to be all buddy-buddy.

I called for a second unit to stop by. When it showed up, I asked the dumbass to get out of the vehicle. I started reading him the FST admonishment and his attitude changed. He was yes, sir and no, sir, even though we are the same age. I ran him through the test, which he failed miserably. I asked him to submit to a PAS. He did. I don't remember the number, but he was waaaaayyyyy over legal. I had him ****ting himself.

Then I gave him the choice. What should I do. We were friends. Would he be ****ed if I arrested him. Should I look the other way and let him go.

Long story short. I let him go. About a week later, he came to my house and we talked. Alcohol was the reason he was no longer dating the step-sister. He wanted help. He asked me to go with him as a "sponsor" at a local rehab program. I did. He made it.

Morl of the story-- It's up to you.
            If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an *** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

im thinking of the thread "what leads to leo disrespect",,, i mean a speeding ticket is one thing, but drunk, come on. is it really worth playing with the integrity of you and your dept. not to mention possibly losing your integrity in court. i may get a butt whippin over this but come on.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                im thinking of the thread "what leads to leo disrespect",,, i mean a speeding ticket is one thing, but drunk, come on. is it really worth playing with the integrity of you and your dept. not to mention possibly losing your integrity in court. i may get a butt whippin over this but come on.
                How do we lose integrity? Like I said in my earlier post, I possess "officer discretion". That means; not everyone has to go to jail or get a ticket. Obviously, if an accident has already occurred, the situation is out of my hands and I have to issue a citation or effect arrest. However, if there has not been an accident, I can choose to excercise my discretion and find alternative means to handle the situation.

Either way, if I've stopped them and they are drunk or have been drinking, they are not driving away from the stop. Once I stop them, anything they do afterward becomes my responsibility and I'm not losing my house or car because they went down the road and killed someone. Like I said, I would find them a ride, but they will not drive away from me.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

very true, but 1- everyone is "just human" what if that person or if they have passengers, runs their mouth, or tells just one person and they run their mouth,,,i promise you something like that would spread fast, they you go to court on someone else who didnt get a break, dont think there is not the possiblilty that would come up. that would be a ruff day in court. 2- i forgot who said this, but they didnt dui someone and it helped them, good, im glad it did, but once again people are human, how many people do you see that have multiple dui's, they didnt learn, and once again they are just human and the bad behavior could easily be reenforced. so what service have you done. not to mention what the public would think if they found out, maybe my stance is because i was talking to a sgt at my former pd, found out that an leo, who got caught once, just drove his truck through someones front door, in light of all this,,,i just dont think its worth it.

Comment

plus id be willing to bet money that most supervisors and cheifs dont think officer descrition would apply here, on a ticket yes, and before you say it, i know, speed kills, running stop sings kill, not wearing your seat belt kills,,,,but ive not heard of someone losing face for not writing a $20 seat belt ticket. but like i said, to me, possibly losing face just wouldnt be worth it.

Comment

We obviously have a slight difference of opinion...

The only thing I have left to say on this subject is, I work for a large city, the last thing I'm worried about is losing integrity over giving a fellow officer, family member or whomever a break on a DUI. The chances that any of that would come back to haunt me in court are a million to one. I guess an officer in a smaller city would have to consider some of these consequences that you mention.

PS: I don't go out of my way to look for drunk drivers, I'm more interested in slamming the dopeboys and armed robbers when I get a chance. That's much more exciting to me.

Comment

very true, but 1- everyone is "just human" what if that person or if they have passengers, runs their mouth, or tells just one person and they run their mouth,,,i promise you something like that would spread fast, they you go to court on someone else who didnt get a break, dont think there is not the possiblilty that would come up. that would be a ruff day in court. 2- i forgot who said this, but they didnt dui someone and it helped them, good, im glad it did, but once again people are human, how many people do you see that have multiple dui's, they didnt learn, and once again they are just human and the bad behavior could easily be reenforced. so what service have you done. not to mention what the public would think if they found out, maybe my stance is because i was talking to a sgt at my former pd, found out that an leo, who got caught once, just drove his truck through someones front door, in light of all this,,,i just dont think its worth it.

A guy I work with not more than three or four weeks ago pulled over a SUV for driving erratically. It turns out the guy he pulled over was a U.S. Marshall. He was with two FBI guys. They were in town for some type of training and had went to the bar afterwards to have a few drinks.
                        He said it was obvious that the guy was blitz, from the smell and looking at his eyes. He said, he had to laugh, when he asked the Marshall if he had been drinking and his reply was "I had two beers" He said, "Oh, your not going to give me the old "two beers" deal, are you?" The marshall then said "Okay, I know I am drunk"
                        Anyway, he called in a supervisor and then ended up giving the guy SFST's and he failed bad. The officer turned over the whole thing to the supervisor and he turned it over to administation. They contacted the U.S. Marshalls, and they told my department, that it was up to them what they do. I have not hear what has happened from there.
                        But, my point is, that the guy told me, that if he had to do it over again, he would have just called the Marshall a cab. His career is probably over now.
                        If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

it happens, that s why its a forum,,,but good chat,,i thought about what you said after i posted, but i was going to wait,,,and your right, i worked a town of popul. 18000, 28 uniformed,,,i also preferred gettin dope and burglars, and towns peolpe also care more about that,,,,anyway,,,like i said,,,good debate for a change,,,,stay safe

Comment

it happens, that s why its a forum,,,but good chat,,i thought about what you said after i posted, but i was going to wait,,,and your right, i worked a town of popul. 18000, 28 uniformed,,,i also preferred gettin dope and burglars, and towns peolpe also care more about that,,,,anyway,,,like i said,,,good debate for a change,,,,stay safe
                            Stay safe as well...and it is good chat.

Comment

DAVE,,,i see your point, but what about he other guy who loses his job, is it fair to him. both knew what would happen if caught,, but anyway,,i dont know, like someone has posted before,,,all you ever see in the media is a cop screwing up and gettin fryed for it,,,i guess that just took a toll on me...yeah,,some deserve it and some didnt...but i dont know....plus i had a real hard core capt., any violation of statutes = arrest,,,just the way he was,,great guy but hard core.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5452 users online. 293 members and 5159 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X