Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My unique circumstance.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My unique circumstance.

    Insignificant.
    Last edited by JordanWhney; 09-04-2005, 06:40 PM.

  • #2
    Just A Thought

    yup But you never know. Do you know anyone who can pull some strings for ya? Like an uncle that is mayor or something?

    Comment


    • #3
      You're done. The guy with no past will get the job over you AND why would you by taking CJ as a major limit your options in such a way to employment.

      Comment


      • #4
        I generally try to say something positive (like Paula Abdul on A.I.) but I think you ****ted in your mess kit.

        Comment


        • #5
          Erased....
          Last edited by JordanWhney; 09-27-2005, 01:13 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Change major and study another subject. An AA degree in CJ is enough. This way if you don't get hired, you'll have another degree to fall back onto. All the CJ you'll need for police or sheriff will be taught to you in the police academy.... for patrol purpose.

            Now in regards to your (CA) 242 PC battery: A misdemeanor. The fact that you were in a security uniform, and you took your agression to far is a major problem. The crime itself (battery) is just the bark. What police/sheriff department are afraid of is the bite. It comes down to money and lawsuit. What they will be thinking is, will this "Kid' do it again in a "POlice or Sheriff's" uniform. Imagine the liability..... Millions of dollars in lawsuit. You'll need to convice the background investigator that it was an aberrated situation. It was a fluke, rage, stupidity, immaturity etc... Unfortunately you have left an indelible record on your past and the repercussion may cost you your career. Very tough call. But, here is my philosophy, you only have one life to live. "You only fail if you don't try."

            According to California Law and (inside) background information.

            Restoration of rights following arrest and /or conviction:

            Release per P.C. 1203.4(A) Misdemeanor (242PC battery)

            Applicant must respond to inquiries: Yes
            Applicant ability to carry a firearm: Yes
            Applicant employability: Yes
            Impeachability solely of a prior conviction: No
            Appearance of DOJ "Rap" Sheet: Release per PC 1203.4(a)

            According to the California guideline and what a background investigator has to work with. (3) yes: you are still employable. You just have to convince the BI and the dept you are working for.

            Check out www.**************************** . Good luck.
            Good Luck and Test Well!
            Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

            L.B.P.D. Academy #75
            6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

            visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

            Comment


            • #7
              Good post.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wayno1806
                Change major and study another subject. An AA degree in CJ is enough. This way if you don't get hired, you'll have another degree to fall back onto. All the CJ you'll need for police or sheriff will be taught to you in the police academy.... for patrol purpose.

                Now in regards to your (CA) 242 PC battery: A misdemeanor. The fact that you were in a security uniform, and you took your agression to far is a major problem. The crime itself (battery) is just the bark. What police/sheriff department are afraid of is the bite. It comes down to money and lawsuit. What they will be thinking is, will this "Kid' do it again in a "POlice or Sheriff's" uniform. Imagine the liability..... Millions of dollars in lawsuit. You'll need to convice the background investigator that it was an aberrated situation. It was a fluke, rage, stupidity, immaturity etc... Unfortunately you have left an indelible record on your past and the repercussion may cost you your career. Very tough call. But, here is my philosophy, you only have one life to live. "You only fail if you don't try."

                According to California Law and (inside) background information.

                Restoration of rights following arrest and /or conviction:

                Release per P.C. 1203.4(A) Misdemeanor (242PC battery)

                Applicant must respond to inquiries: Yes
                Applicant ability to carry a firearm: Yes
                Applicant employability: Yes
                Impeachability solely of a prior conviction: No
                Appearance of DOJ "Rap" Sheet: Release per PC 1203.4(a)

                According to the California guideline and what a background investigator has to work with. (3) yes: you are still employable. You just have to convince the BI and the dept you are working for.

                Check out www.**************************** . Good luck.



                Thanks for taking the time to respond with a contemplative post. I totally understand your point in regards to lawsuits, etc. It may be far to risky to pin a badge on my breast. I definitely won't pursue a Criminal Justice degree any further. It would be devastating to continue my studies for another 4 years and find out the truth after I've invested so much time into the degree. I was thinking about getting a Computer Science degree or an Accounting degree. Or I might obtain an undergraduate degree, and apply for law school. I'll still have plenty of love for police officers.

                Comment


                • #9
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT A LEO<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

                  Like the previous poster said, "you only fail if you don't try!". I don't believe I can add more to what has already been said, except if LE is your dream you shouldn't give it up so quickly.

                  I know of a few LEO that still got on the job after commiting worse offenses. You're 22 years old. Time will heal those wounds, provided you stay out of trouble.

                  In the meantime I suggest you start working on things that will give you an edge above the rest. A degree is great, but military experience and a degree is even better. Best wishes from a none LEO friend.
                  Last edited by IloveAmerica; 06-30-2005, 02:10 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by IloveAmerica
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT A LEO<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

                    Like the previous poster said, "you only fail if you don't try!". I don't believe I can add more to what has already been said, except if LE is your dream you shouldn't give it up so quickly.

                    I know of a few LEO that still got on the job after commiting worse offenses. You're 22 years old. Time will heal those wounds, provided you stay out of trouble.

                    In the meantime I suggest you start working on things that will give you an edge above the rest. A degree is great, but military experience and a degree is even better. Best wishes from a none LEO friend.
                    Thank you.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Don't give up!

                      In my experience on the job (including with applicants), a misdemeanor battery is far from something that would disqualify someone from getting a law enforcement job (domestic violence excepted). It seems to me that a minor criminal conviction several years prior, especially one committed in early adulthood, is a very common situation. The key things most agencies look at are the severity of the incident, how long ago it happened, and whether the applicant discloses the incident. People do make mistakes in life, and these things are usually isolated "learning experiences". My advice is to go for it! Apply, disclose the incident,explain the circumstances and that you learned from it, and it will likely be overlooked (especially with the education you mentioned). I currently work with several guys who have colorful pasts, but are excellent officers. My agnecy is Accredited and nationally recognized so hiring standards are fairly strict. That being the only blemish on an otherwise clean record, you are eligible for hire here. Good luck!
                      God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

                      You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The element that causes me to question is chances is that working in a quasi law enforcement role, at the time of his arrest.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by IloveAmerica
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT A LEO<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

                          Like the previous poster said, "you only fail if you don't try!". I don't believe I can add more to what has already been said, except if LE is your dream you shouldn't give it up so quickly.

                          I know of a few LEO that still got on the job after commiting worse offenses. You're 22 years old. Time will heal those wounds, provided you stay out of trouble.

                          In the meantime I suggest you start working on things that will give you an edge above the rest. A degree is great, but military experience and a degree is even better. Best wishes from a none LEO friend.
                          Not an LEO either but I do agree with the posts above, some people, like Bodie, are quick to shoot you down. Not every department out there has strict qualification limits. Obviously what you did won't help you but if you really wanna do LE then its always worth a try.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have had the pleasure of working with people that should have never been officers. Many of them has issues like this in their past.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tennsix
                              I have had the pleasure of working with people that should have never been officers. Many of them has issues like this in their past.
                              What made it such a "displeasure" to work with these individuals? After telling me that my chances were "over", you tell me that you had officers who had a similar background. I wouldn't call my previous position Quasi-Law enforcement. The security company I worked for is a locally owned family business. My training consisted of a 4 hour video followed by a ridiculously simple multiple choice test. You're hard pressed to find a 22 year old who has never been in a "scuffle". (internet sarcasm)

                              But, since I was wearing the uniform and on duty...and I did proceed to throw punches with my winter mittens on......at the tender age of 18, I can use my Associate's degree as toilet paper and pursue a more versatile undergraduate degree. I have never touched a drug in my life. I'm such a choir boy. I've never held a beer can or touched a cigarette. I have never been to a "club". I have a perfect attendance record through college. I brush my teeth before going to bed, and I comb my hair neatly in the mornings. I'm a gym rat, therfore I take much pride in taking care of myself. I am in excellent physical condition...I have been a powerlifter for 6 years and at 165 pounds I can bench press 290. I never tire when I run. I volunteered in the search for Elizabeth Smart. I have compassion for those who are victims of crime. (I know what you're thinking.)

                              My neighborhood has been repeatedly victimized by individuals who love breaking into vehicles. A week ago, where was I at 2:00 A.M?? Up on my rooftop waiting for the perpetrator. I saw a man running down the sidewalk carrying hubcaps at 3 A.M. Did I give him a beating? Nope, but I would of loved the opportunity to question him. Oh well, off to find another calling in life. Maybe I should take up knitting or bug collecting.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 2848 users online. 129 members and 2719 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X