Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would fellow officers frown upon this?

Hello all,

I was just curious if officers in the department you work with would frown upon the fact that you got into the department, not by being the best candidate and going through the testing process, but by having connections and getting in that way. I have an uncle in office for a town. He knows I want to become a police officer and told me he could get me in no problems. I told him I wasn't sure because I wanted to go through the testing process and get recruited. I don't want to get in because I know someone but because i was the best candidate for the job at the time. Should I use the connection I have or go through with the recruiting.

*Any advice welcome....it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jay
    fall down 4 times...get up 5.

I think it depends on what type of Police Officer you turned out to be. Your best bet would be to go through the entire hiring process like everyone else, that way there would be no questions.

Also, the testing process determines if canidates have the MINIMUM ability to be a Police Officer. Do you want to get into this field without being prepared? I really don't think that you would. I would guess your conections would still help you get hired even if you went through the regular hiring process.

Comment

Not the best way to get in and you would be better off going elsewhere> Every other cop is going to know how you got in and you're mud from day one and won't be trusted.
      Getting a job this way and you not being the best candidate and you may not be leo material that's why there is a hiring process. You might get fired before probation is over and then you would never "earn" an leo slot.

Tell your uncle thanks but no thanks................

Comment

Don't have the job handed to you by your uncle. Go out and earn it like everyone else. I would even suggest that you do not ever work for the city that you uncle does. Even if you do earn it, no one will believe you.

Comment

besides, if you were an officer, who would you want as back up, someone whose only qualification is that they know someone important. i have to agree with everyone else. and if you busted your butt to get a job, and someone else got it just because of family, how would you feel. the pd i worked at had a guy like that, good officer, but people still bad mouthed him behind his back.

Comment

I would not let him in my car and I would not as a supervisor have him on my shift and DARE his uncle confront me about it.
            It's called Obstructing Official Business ..... MINE.

Wouldn't the local media love that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I agree with what everyone has said but we all know this happens all the time. It would be better if the PD had an entrance exam at the very least. I did not "know" anyone to get on the job. To be honest, if I had a relative offer me help when I was looking to get on a PD years ago...I would have taken it.

I was a "victim of politics" during the promotion process. I had to file a grievance with the Union because of it. Perhaps that's why I am jaded in my thinking that Jinx's position could go to someone else with a connection (if he doesn't use his). That's assuming there is no set exam or hiring policy.

If that PD has an established competetive civil service exam and hiring process I would think you would have to get a high passing score- Uncle or not. Are you saying you would not even have to take an exam? That would be a BIG no- no.
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I would not be able to hold my head high as an officer if a relative got me in or opened doors for me. I guess this is just the type of person I am, and being female in a "male" profession makes me stick stronger to that theory.

I beat out 108 in the hiring process to be hired in a group of 3 with top seniority. Granted these are not huge numbers, but for this dept, I know I had to bust my butt and be the perfect candidate for them. This is what will keep me showing up everyday KNOWING that I can do the job, and was WANTED for the job.
                She wants someone to call her angel, Someone to put the light back in her eyes...

In honor of: Cpl Chad Powell USMC Killed In Action Fallujah, Iraq June 23, 2005

Comment

Got to agree with Bodie. Get on a department because you qualified.
                  Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

Anybody

Anybody that agrees that this guy shoud CHEAT his way into this career like this has no business being a cop and probably knows that they themself can't qualify thru normal procedures to be a cop.

Here we would make sure he didn't make it past his first FTO......................
                    Tell your uncle that thsi might work for getting a relative a job at the water & seweage department of as a city refuse collector but not in a career where peoples lives are at stake every minute of every day.

Comment

thanks for the advice everyone! I actually agree with all of you. I am going to go through the testing process. As far as being law enforcement material.....I know I am. It's just something I know I can and will do someday. I look forward to the day I do get my acceptance letter! Thanks again everyone!

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                        Anybody that agrees that this guy shoud CHEAT his way into this career like this has no business being a cop and probably knows that they themself can't qualify thru normal procedures to be a cop.
                        Gee "Chief" Bodie I wonder who you are alluding to??? Anyone who could not see this happening in a small town, one horse, non- exam PD is clueless to the world (sort of like a typical Chief) and has no business being in LE.

I am not saying he should cheat but there are some small bush league PD's who's hiring process consists solely of who you know.

No Deputy Sheriff up my way takes an entrance exam- they're all appointed based on who they know. I don't condone or agree with it but if a phone call is the only way he'll get consideration for a "political" LE job then so be it.

Again if he is seeking an LE position where you have to take an entrance exam, etc then all bets are off- he should earn it like everyone else.

(BTW- Sorry to disappoint you but I scored a 99 on my PD entrance exam, graduated number three in my Academy class and finished number one on the Sergeant's test. I hope that meets your qualifications Chief...not that I give a ****).

Awaiting your predictably pompous reply...
                        Last edited by BrickCop; 06-30-2005, 04:31 PM.
                        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                          Here we would make sure he didn't make it past his first FTO......................
                          Tell your uncle that thsi might work for getting a relative a job at the water & seweage department of as a city refuse collector but not in a career where peoples lives are at stake every minute of every day.

Bodie

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread but lighten up. I know what you are talking about but being rude isn't necessary. Too bad my uncle doesn't work at the water and sewage department.....SHUCKS!

Comment

Ok I gotta chime in on this one being from Illinois. I don't know what county or department it is that your Uncle has clout at but let me remind/tell you this. If he does help you get the job plan on that being held over your head. If you think oh no that wont happen then we must disagree.

When it comes to election time plan on making phone calls and pounding signs. You will forever be in debt. You will also have to deal with the political games. If your uncle should lose his job or certain people don't get elected this may cause undue stress on you. I am not saying you will lose your job but it can be a problem. You may also encounter political pressure on how you vote in elections. You will be told "we are backing XYZ canidate(s)"

Let's just say I speak from experience and knowledge on the subject. I will say for the record my "clout" was big and it actually fell through for me. I was angry at the time but now I figured out it was a good thing. I got hired on by my own merit. Not a damn person helped me and I dont owe jack to anybody.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but I guess you should call it a fair warning from someone who has been there and almost done that. One final disclaimer: I am just guessing you live in Northern IL i.e Cook
                            ( very clout heavy ) or Lake or Dupage county. I don't claim to know how the Southern part of the state lives.
                            Good Luck to you.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

I know guys that got hired this way & they are exactly what you would expect. Lazy with zero work ethic.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6052 users online. 315 members and 5737 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X