300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in an unsafe neighborhood...

My neighborhood has had three break-ins in the last two weeks. That isn't good news for me, who is home all day on weekdays. I've been broken into three years ago when I was home alone, and it wasn't a fun experience. I'm considering carrying a weapon around the house, like a swiss army knife, a heavy paintball gun (no CO2, just a bluff), or a baseball bat, but I've heard statistics grow worse when a person carries a weapon around because it makes burglars nervous and more aggressive, especially ones with guns. Is there anyone who can give me advice that would make me feel safe at home? Thanks.

Not a police officer

Originally posted by LeftyGrove
    My neighborhood has had three break-ins in the last two weeks. That isn't good news for me, who is home all day on weekdays...
    Get a job and spend less time at home.

Comment

Originally posted by JKooL
      Get a job and spend less time at home.
      Haha. Yeah, just make it easier for the burglar to rob you blind.

Comment

Well, if you feel you could not shoot an intruder, which sounds like the case, why in the world do you feel like you could stab them with a Knife? My sugestion, make your home very undesirable to a burglar.

Buy a big shepherd type dog. This particular breed is very protective and barks a lot. If you do not want a dog, put beware of dog signs all over your fence line. Put dog dishes in your back yard next to your door. Light your house well, burglars that hit houses at night (which is not tipical) hate bright light every where. Get a home alarm system. Get bars on your lower windows. If you don't want bars, there are certain bushes you can put around your lower windows that are very pointed and hurt like hell if you get stuck with them. Get heavy duty front and rear exterior doors with heavy duty locks. Report suspicious people immediately. Talk to your neighbors and tell them to report suspicious people immediately. If you leave the house for an extended time, put your lights on timers and have a neighbor pick up your mail and news papers.

The point is to make your house less desirable to burglarize then the next guys. Even better, to make your entire neighborhood less desirable to burglarize. Look around your house and think of ways you would break in if you wanted to steal something, then fill in the weak spots.

Comment

I'm considering carrying a weapon around the house, like a swiss army knife, a heavy paintball gun (no CO2, just a bluff), or a baseball bat,
          Doing something like this will get you killed. So you pull out a inoperative paintball gun and the bad guy pulls out a real gun. Then you are SOL.

Swiss army knife will only scratch the bad guy then really **** him off. If you are not willing to defend yourself with a real firearm, then I would suggest you follow the advise of the other posts (ie: lights/dogs etc)

Comment

I won't be old enough to get a job until December, unfortunately. I should have mentioned that I am a high school student with the summer off.

My parents don't want a firearm in the house, and an alarm is too expensive, apparently. Our only real defense is our pair of dogs, one of which is older than I am, and the other a two year old pug/pitt/boxer mix who wouldn't do much to an attacker. I leave my house for a few hours everyday, whether to play baseball or jog or go over a friend's house, but I still spend a lot of time at the house.

My only defense right now is myself.

Comment

unsafe neighborhood

JKool's answer was why non cops should stay away from the "Ask a Cop" threads. He had to chime in though.
              Jerry
              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

The most obvious answer is to lock your doors and windows.

Outside of that, consider an alarm system. At night, try motion-activated flood lights.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                  JKool's answer was why non cops should stay away from the "Ask a Cop" threads. He had to chime in though.
                  My attempt at sarcasm probably wasn't the best choice when making the first reply to the poster. Some good answers here to the original question and I hope he eventually resolves his problem / fear of being home alone.
                  Last edited by JKooL; 06-30-2005, 01:09 PM.

Comment

My parents don't want a firearm in the house, and an alarm is too expensive, apparently. .
                    My house was broken into three times. Installed alarm system, and video surveillance Alarm went off
                    Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just thinking.

Carry a cordless phone with you. Dialing 911 will probably get a quicker response than any alarm system.

Try a Self-defense class.
                      Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4806 users online. 320 members and 4486 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X