300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops on Universitys...

Questions for cops that work on college universitys.

How do you like being a LEO in a university setting? pros/cons, ect.

Do you get a chance to be proactive, like DUIs and what not?

Also, I know colleges most of the time are very liberal. Does this pollute into your department and how it operates? Like, use of force, when you can run codes, and when you can make an arrest? I know liberals often are very anti police and I was wondering if any of that B.S. got in the way of you doing your job.

One of the places I am looking to get a job at is a (non SUNY) university in NYS. Thats why I ask. Thanks!

p.s. I also don't want to drive a car like this... http://policecarsite.lidonet.net/pdweek.html
    "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

I am a university police officer. Our PD operates the same as any other agency. The campus (we have 8 campuses) where I work has a population of about 45K. My university does have considerable number liberals but we are very much the police. Our Officers are very proactive and make many arrests on and off campus. We generate the same types of stats as any comparable size community. We get more DWI
    Last edited by Tennsix; 06-28-2005, 10:34 PM. Reason: Fix web link

Comment

Smaller university than Tennsix works at, but for the most part, we work the same way. No academy on our campus though.

One of the neat things about our university is that in addition to criminal court, there is also this little thing called Student Referrals. It gives us another formal avenue for dealing with problems. And sometimes,the Student Affairs Office has harsher penalties than the courts would.
      "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

p.s. I also don't want to drive a car like this.

Then don't apply there

Comment

Originally posted by aikido kid
          p.s. I also don't want to drive a car like this... http://policecarsite.lidonet.net/pdweek.html
          Haha, good old Northern Illinois University... My friends who go there have a total lack of respect for the police because of those cars. Personally, I think they look cool and futuristic, although I wouldn't want to take a Prius into a pursuit.

Comment

It could be worse...
            War Wagon

Comment

well....my two year old made the siren sounds for the NIU car...so it must be okay
              stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

Comment

TenSix,

Does that have a red vine dispenser like the one from Wayne's World? That was one sweet marked unit. I bet all the officers fight for that one...

Comment

haha

Originally posted by jefsmith77
                  p.s. I also don't want to drive a car like this.

Then don't apply there
                  well i'm just pointing that out. I'm not applying to that dept. I thought it was funny though. Solar power cop cars... haha... no chasing anyone at night.
                  "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by aikido kid
                    well i'm just pointing that out. I'm not applying to that dept. I thought it was funny though. Solar power cop cars... haha... no chasing anyone at night.
                    Hell, a kid on a Big Wheel could out run them.

Comment

JKool..

Your friends don't resepect those UP guys just 'cause of their cars?? There must be someting else. It was probaly some administrators "great idea!!!!!" and now those guys have to suffer for it. Have your friends ever had any run in with them?

Personally I think people that police in other agencies other than city/county (i.e. university, railroad, forest preserve) have to work harder and be more professional because you are always going to have those that think they are not "real police"

Comment

Originally posted by jefsmith77
                        JKool..

Your friends don't resepect those UP guys just 'cause of their cars?? There must be someting else. It was probaly some administrators "great idea!!!!!" and now those guys have to suffer for it. Have your friends ever had any run in with them?
                        Some of my friends at NIU aren't exactly upstanding citizens, and have had more than a few run-in's with the police, one of them resulting in the eventual dismissal / expulsion from the campus. I recently took a trip up there this summer to visit a few of the guys and when they gave me the campus tour, the first thing I asked to see was the public safety center, that's when the conversation over the police cars came up!

Comment

What did they say about the police?

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                            What did they say about the police?
                            Comments such as...

"You can't take these guys seriously when they drive that thing."
                            "If they tried to pull me over, I'd laugh in their face."

And then the rent-a-cop comment came up from someone who was with us that was not a student. I told her to say that to the officers next time she had an encounter and find out just how much of a "rent-a-cop" they were.

Comment

I would imagine that a lot of that attitude of College LEOs being rent-a-cops is that in high school (where the majority of college students were just at) students are babied and they don't always have LEOs on campus (SROs, etc.)

In other words, they get away with murder at high school, so they think the same thing will happen at College.

When I was at undergrad and grad school, we had a high amount of respect and regard for campus LEOs. They seemed really friendly and cool.

Sorry that is not the case everywhere.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2589 users online. 149 members and 2440 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X