300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoo'd LEO's allowed?

will most PD's or even Federal Agencies hire someone with tat's below the elbow? I have a huge (8" tall, by 6" wide") tattoo of a rose, birds, a skull, and spiderwebs on my left forearm. Does this affect my chances of getting a job as a po-po or federal? help appreciated!

Last edited by Rbadgett; 06-28-2005, 08:13 PM.

It's really up to each agency. I know some cops with full sleeves and their dept doesn't care. Some agencies will make you wear long sleeve shirts to cover any tattoos. Check with each agency you apply to/are planning on applying to in order to get their particular policy.
    Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
    --------------------
    This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

It looks like you got that last week, why would you get that knowing you wanted to be a cop?
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
        It looks like you got that last week, why would you get that knowing you wanted to be a cop?
        those pictures were taken a long time ago. i didnt even think about the consequences. stupid 18 year olds. (it was like, right after i turned 18)

Comment

At least get it change into something that doesn't look like it belongs on a skinhead.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Rbadgett
            those pictures were taken a long time ago. i didnt even think about the consequences. stupid 18 year olds. (it was like, right after i turned 18)
            Stupid 18 y/o's? You are only 19. One year won't make a big difference.

Comment

Five words:

Long sleeves during the interview.

After they have hired you it will be much harder to reject you for this.

I can't remember what my dept's policy on tatoos is as since I don't have any I don't much care. But I know we had a guy who was solid tatoos from the elbows down and he used to wear short sleeves all the time. Of course he was on the dept prior to the current chief so the current chief had little choice but to accept him as is.

Comment

Originally posted by connor
                Five words:

Long sleeves during the interview.

After they have hired you it will be much harder to reject you for this.
                That advice is worthless. Once the applicant takes the medical exam, which means getting naked, all will be revealed.

To Rbadgett.....I wouldn't hire you, I think tattoos that are visible while in short sleeves are very unprofessional. I have a tattoo myself, but it's not visible, unless my PD goes to "wife beaters" in the summer months.
                Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

It's going to be hard. Most agencies do not care if you have tattoo's, but there are some that are very strict about them being visible. I have three, and it was not a problem, but they are all covered in uniform. There is just a small part that sticks out under my sleeve if I move a certain way, was never an issue though. Good luck!
                  In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

I got 10 tattoo's. I have one you can see when I wear short sleeves. It's on the inside of my right forearm so its not immediately noticed. I would say that the one you have might be a problem.....just my .02
                    Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win

Comment

Find a Plastic Surgeon if you were in my neck o' the woods.

$50 to put it on. $5000 to take it off.

Hellofa bassackwords investment.
                      Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                        At least get it change into something that doesn't look like it belongs on a skinhead.
                        What makes you associate it with skinheads?
                        Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
                        --------------------
                        This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

Many progressive departments allow tattoos, as long as they aren't offensive, by language, symbolism or graphics. Military tattoos are almost a right of passage. WW2 and Vietnam vets have had them for years, so it makes it hard to say no. If it causes a distraction or otherwise offends people to the point of you being unable to perform your duties, you may have to find a way to remove or cover them. As was already stated, different policies for different agencies.
                          Jerry
                          "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                            That advice is worthless. Once the applicant takes the medical exam, which means getting naked, all will be revealed.

To Rbadgett.....I wouldn't hire you, I think tattoos that are visible while in short sleeves are very unprofessional. I have a tattoo myself, but it's not visible, unless my PD goes to "wife beaters" in the summer months.
                            Yeah but is the doctor necessarily going to call up and say "Hey chief, this guy has tatoos all over." Probably not. My physical was to check my health, not whether I had tatoos, piercings, or other similar things.

Comment

Whooo-wheee! Summer in Sacramento with long sleeves on? That's hot. And no-one around here but the Chippies wear khaki, it's all LAPD blue. I don't know one agency that allows visible tats.

Get a loan and get that thing burnt off.
                              *Not a cop*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5442 users online. 290 members and 5152 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X