300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused, worried, and could possibly be a dumb ***

Alright, I have no clue where to start, I only know that I need help because I honestly feel I have no where else to turn for this one. So like most normal teenagers in college I'm on the net doing research for papers and emailing the people I can't keep in touch with from high school. But anyway, I have an instant messenger and a profile, tells a little about me, no real personal information, just hobbies and interests.
    So this random girl IMs me....says she was profile surfing and wants to talk. So we started talking and just b-sing occasionally over the next week or so, nothing I thought anything about except maybe she needed a friend to talk to or osmething. No big deal to me. The next day she says she needs to talk. I assume it's over something simple like she's lost with her plans in life, or failed a test at school, or her b/f broke up w/ her or something...well she tells me she was gang raped by some guys awhile back.....I asked for some details, it sounded pretty bad. Said ever since then it had been continuing. So I offer to look up the child abuse hotline number, told her it wasn't her fault, asked if she'd told anyone, been tested for stds, pregnancy, etc.....I basically tried to talk her through it as best as possible. I really didn't know what to say.
    From what I gather, she lives with her brother, parents aren't around...and she's made a lot of bad choices. I'd like to know if there's any way I can help this person, or at least find out if she's credible. Her story is heartbreaking.... she wont give me personal details about herself or anyone involved, and even if she did I couldn't do much more than report it. I don't know if she feels safe talking to someone online b/c it's secure...I have no way of knowing who she is or anything. At the same time, I realize some people just like to make up random drama bull **** to mess with people and cause problems too. I really want to help this person if it's a real issue that's occuring, just not sure how or what to do. Any ideas or suggestions? If you guys have delt with abuse victims, what are common signs? I mean, it's not like I can read for body language or see the bruises. Part of me would love to believe she's making all of this up, as angry as I'd be, it would be easier then contemplating the alleged truth....any imput, any at all would be helpful.
    thanks guys, I know this is wierd. I just can't let it go...the thought makes me sick.

*Not LEO*
    That's a tough one man. Like you said, it could be just a lonely kid with too much time on their hands, or it could be a serious issue. I'd encourage you not too look to hard into it and just let the girl know that she really needs to get help for this. Really, that's all that can be done. Only she has the power to fix things, you really can't do anything for her but show her the door. Hopefully she can be smart enough to get herself out of this. Don't stress it.

Comment

Don't touch that with a 10 foot pole. IF she is telling the truth and you get involved, you will be way over your head. If she is lying, you will be in even deeper. Either way she has major issues and the internet is not the place to deal with it.

DO NOT offer to meet her in person. DO NOT get involved.
      Last edited by Tennsix; 06-28-2005, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Gotta back ya up on this one Tennsix
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
          Don't touch that with a 10 foot pole. IF she is telling the truth and you get involved, you will be way over your head. If she is lying, you will be in even deeper. Either way she has major issues and the internet is not the place to deal with it.

Agree. Leave it alone. Walk away now.

Comment

Originally posted by Radio
            Agree. Leave it alone. Walk away now.
            I disagree. Run like hell.
            "The policeman is sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for he will will have you punished. He is sent by God for that very purpose" - Rom 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix

Ditto, Get the F*** outta there, and dont look back. I hear sob stories everyday and the majority are BS

Comment

On the internet, spilling her guts about something that tragic to a total stranger.. sounds more like a cry for attention. She's got issues, and you don't want anything to do with that. If you've already given her your two cents, stick her on "ignore" and get the heck out. One day really soon that desire to talk to you will wind up as "can I meet up with you, I feel really bad tonight" and you want out BEFORE then. Listen to the guys on here, I'll bet MOST are talking from experience on this. Learn from them.
                STFU! Another great suggestion from the same mind that brought you "Kiss my butt" and "Leave me alone"

Why not?

Comment

speaking of wich.

Another officer and I met up at Ci Ci's pizza for lunch today.
                  As we left we were approached by one of the "new" local homeless guys.
                  He was telling us this story about how his grandfather helped or did design the space shuttle. As he went on about his story and asking where Nasa was (45 min drive away) and how he could get some info regarding his past and so on and so forth. After listening to his story for a few he sounded intellegent and knew what he was talking about giveing his story "Some" credibality.
                  After about 15 min of talking to him he starts going on about if he went down there would they may put him in a psych worde because of his story. Then he proceeds to tell us about how he had "Moon Dust put inside of him" as an expirement and how it F%#%ed up his life and how they need to fix it and so on.......

Needless to say I got a page at that very moment telling us (lunch partner and i) that we had a Residential alarm to go to. We get to the cars and he is like where we gotta go. No where i stated just away from him. LOL

kooo kooo

Comment

Originally posted by Radio
                    Then he proceeds to tell us about how he had "Moon Dust put inside of him" as an expirement and how it F%#%ed up his life and how they need to fix it and so on.......
                    Moon Dust = some pretty bad Angel Dust????
                    STFU! Another great suggestion from the same mind that brought you "Kiss my butt" and "Leave me alone"

Why not?

Comment

I'm not a cop, but you should be able to give this tip to a department of law enforcement that deals with internet crime (FBI maybe). They can trace who she is from her email or IM and if you have or can get any clue who is abusing her even by first names you might be able to help anonymously.
                      Last edited by ReneeFun1; 06-28-2005, 07:22 PM. Reason: misspelled a word

Comment

Saying you were raped on the internet does not constitute internet crime. The FBI/local PD computer crimes divisions have way better things to do then investigate something unsubstantiated like this.

Ignore what John Q Public is telling you here, they don't have the knowledge LEOs have. Listen to the cops who've answered you already. Do not get involved with this person.
                        Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
                        --------------------
                        This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

I have a friend that liked this hot *** girl. She did the same thing you said: Confess she had been raped. It turned out she was lying to gain sympathy. Manipulative little b*tch, it almost worked.

Comment

Red Alert...

Doesn't feel right to me, FutureLEO04. Watch out.

IF there's truth to her story and IF she actually wants help, a call to a rape hotline will put her in touch with the resources she needs, and people trained to deal with the different aspects of such situations.

However...

If it is NOT true, you've got someone on your hands who, for whatever reason, is willing to lie to you, to play with your emotions, and is trying to put you in the rescuer role when in fact she doesn't need rescuing.

And IF it is true, but she's NOT ready to get help, you can't help her anyway.

It's a noble thing to want to help someone who needs help, but don't squander your emotional energy on a pretender. There ARE folks who want drama in their life and will use you in an attempt to get attention. Save your efforts for those who actually need it and will try to help themselves.
                            We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
                            but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

Oops...

I just realized this is in the "Ask a Cop" area-- I am not a cop and shouldn't have posted.

Sorry.
                              We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
                              but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4712 users online. 229 members and 4483 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X