300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grad parties

I graduated high school this past weekend and in lue of Graduation parties, I've got a question. If I am at a party with people who are drinking underage but I am not consuming alcohol and they get caught by the police, is it possible that I could get in trouble? I want to have fun and hang out with my friends this last summer we're all together while making sure I don't end up in any trouble. I want to go into LE and I realize how important it is to keep a clean record.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Yes, you could get in trouble too.

Comment

Not a cop, but....

Yes, you could get in trouble as well. I was arrested for underage drinking when I was 16..... and I wasn't drinking.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
      and I'm not sure about the former.
      -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

How could you get in trouble if you're not doing anything wrong/illegal? If you're not drinking, I don't see what could go wrong... The only charge I can think of is "Aiding/Inducing a Minor to Possess Alcoholic Beverages" but the arrestee has to be 21 or older to receive that particular charge (charge is for adults who are basically in presence of minor consumption activity and "not doing anything to stop it").

Police raid a house party - find multiple minors drinking - gather up all minors into one room and mirandize everyone - everyone who says they haven't been drinking is advised that they will be PBT'ed - the remaining minors who still contend that they have not been drinking it then PBT'ed individually - when it is shown that they're telling the truth, they're sent packing.

If you were still in high school and the school finds out, yeah you could get into trouble with althletics, etc.. But you say you've graduated so that's not an issue... Go have fun. Hopefully you are wise enough to convince your friends to at least let you be the designated driver so no one is out driving drunk....

Comment

You could also be faced with charges such as disorderly conduct, visiting a common nussiance, and a few other things

Comment

In my state, one can be arrest at 18 for furnishing and contributing.

Comment

IceColdBlueEyes - You will not get arrested for drinking alcoholic beverages if you have not been drinking. You will not get arrested for possessing alcoholic beverages if you have not possessed alcoholic beverages. You will not be arrested for transporting alcoholic beverages if you did not transport alcoholic beverages.

If you did nothing wrong and you got charged - something is wrong.... Someone is lying. I'm not calling you a liar but there was a reason for the charge.

TennSix - Why would a person at a party who is doing nothing wrong be charged for "disorderly conduct" ? That charge is an abused charge (as is public intoxication) and should be reserved for those who really are deserving of the charge. If you have to tell someone to do something twice ("back the #$%* away!" or "shut the #$%* up!") then I would agree. But this person is someone who says he/she wants to get into LE so I would surmise that they would be less inclined to get smart with a police officer when they haven't done anything wrong.

As for Visiting a Common Nuisance - you'd have to be able to prove or at least articulate that the arrestee knew or should have known that the location is a common nuisance. Don't forget about the "controlled substance" section (yes, I had to look it up - IC 35-48-4-13)

Comment

I didnt say he would... I am just pointing out the possiblities...

DC includes loud music and unlawful gathering.
                If they are drinking smart money says some will have pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                  In my state, one can be arrest at 18 for furnishing and contributing.
                  Juveniles can be arrested for furnishing alcoholic beverages to a person under 21.

As for "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor" and using cacy87 as an example - you must articulate that cacy87 "encourage, aided, induced or caused " a person "under 18 years of age" to commit an act of delinquency. Just being at a party with friends does not mean you're egging your juvenile friends to eat drink and be merry.

Comment

How many parties have you busted?

Comment

TennSix- understand that I'm not argueing with you or anything. I'm merely pointing things out as well.... It's always nice to get more than one train of thought. The students at IU really grate on LEOs - it seems every other kid there thinks they know more than I do about the law. I'm glad I no longer work in that area.

Kudos to you for sticking it out!

Comment

Originally posted by beer cop
                        IceColdBlueEyes - You will not get arrested for drinking alcoholic beverages if you have not been drinking. You will not get arrested for possessing alcoholic beverages if you have not possessed alcoholic beverages. You will not be arrested for transporting alcoholic beverages if you did not transport alcoholic beverages.

If you did nothing wrong and you got charged - something is wrong.... Someone is lying. I'm not calling you a liar but there was a reason for the charge.
                        Well... I was arrested for underage drinking and no I was not drinking, and I did not have a drink in my hand. About 8 people were arrested, about 6 were drinking (don't remember the exact numbers, it was a long time ago). Everyone was brought to the PD. Now, this was in a very small town where nothing much happened.... and not at a house party, but at one of the parks we hung out at. I hung out with the wrong group of people who were always getting in trouble. Wrong place, wrong time.
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
                        and I'm not sure about the former.
                        -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                          How many parties have you busted?
                          let's just say that I've busted "lots and lots of parties - so much so that departments from all over call upon my magical powers weekend in and weekend out!"

Comment

Ok... What type of police officer are you?

Comment

<------ does my username not give it away?

(maybe do a search upon the username?)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5547 users online. 326 members and 5221 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X