Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange situation

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Strange situation

    The scenario I am about to describe happened a few days ago. It involved my younger brother, his friend, a woman with a bad hair day, and an officer.

    My younger brother and his friend were riding their bikes at a nearby church. Apparantly, they were riding on the grass lawn of this church and a disgruntled woman (who worked there) did not like that. She told them to stop riding on the lawn. My brother and his friend responded disrespectfully. She took offense and later thought they rode accross the grass a second time after she had warned them (it was actually my brothers friend who rode accross the second time). So, the woman called an officer to the church. The officer questioned my brother and tried to coerce a confession from him about riding across this lawn the second time(after he had been told not to). My brother gave in eventually because he could see that circumstances were going nowhere. The officer then asked the disgruntled woman if she wanted him to "run them in."

    Alright, all that for this:
    • What is "running them in" and would it have been appropriate considering the circumstances?
    • What do you think of my brother being coerced by the officer?
    • My brother was coerced because his friend admitted to riding on the lawn after the incident.


    Any opinions or insights from LEOs would be helpful.

  • #2
    My insight is that this is a waste of precious webspace. Tell your brother not to be a disrespectful little ****.
    Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Washingtonian
      My insight is that this is a waste of precious webspace. Tell your brother not to be a disrespectful little ****.
      I know how to handle my brother, thank you. My question was in the bulleted list. Your reply is waste of space, not to mention that webspace is a dime a dozen, so it's not really precious.

      Comment


      • #4
        Just exactly how was your brother "coerced"? And if he was, why is that a bad thing? They could have gone to jail for Criminal Trespass in Georgia, and I'm sure your state has a similar statute. "Running them in" would have been appropriate if the lady had the authority to act for the church and wanted to prosecute. Are the kids in question juveniles?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Groundhog
          Just exactly how was your brother "coerced"? And if he was, why is that a bad thing? They could have gone to jail for Criminal Trespass in Georgia, and I'm sure your state has a similar statute. "Running them in" would have been appropriate if the lady had the authority to act for the church and wanted to prosecute. Are the kids in question juveniles?
          Thank you for your response. Coercion: the act of compelling by force of authority. My brother felt the officer was going to keep him there all day unless he confessed. In other words, the officer kept "pressing him" for a confession. It's a bad thing because the officer is essentially falsely blameing him for the "crime." The lady was a janitor, so yes I think she would have authority. Yes, the kids are juveniles.

          What makes this situation so absurd is that they were just riding their bikes on a lawn, a lady blows the whistle, cops come running, and now he's edgewoods most wanted (the town I live in, real small-less than 25K).
          On top of that, he is questioned by an officer, who instead of trying to get everyone to "burry the hatchet" draws a false confession from my brother.

          Comment


          • #6
            What is "running them in" and would it have been appropriate considering the circumstances?
            The officer was just trying to scare the kids since they disrespected the church lady. That was his way of saying,
            Last edited by Tennsix; 06-27-2005, 11:10 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              [QUOTE=Tennsix]The officer was just trying to scare the kids since they disrespected the church lady. That was his way of saying,

              Comment


              • #8
                For what it's worth, I used to do the same kind of crap & I turned out OK.
                I was 13 when I did doughnuts in a neighbor's flower bed on a mini bike. My dad had a "Come to Jesus meeting" with me. The PO-PO and the neighbor took great delight in it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tennsix
                  I was 13 when I did doughnuts in a neighbor's flower bed on a mini bike. My dad had a "Come to Jesus meeting" with me. The PO-PO and the neighbor took great delight in it.
                  Me too. Except I was 17, the "flower bed" was in the front of my H.S., and I was in an Olds Cutlass 442.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by savage4presiden
                    The scenario I am about to describe happened a few days ago. It involved my younger brother, his friend, a woman with a bad hair day, and an officer.

                    My younger brother and his friend were riding their bikes at a nearby church. Apparantly, they were riding on the grass lawn of this church and a disgruntled woman (who worked there) did not like that. She told them to stop riding on the lawn. My brother and his friend responded disrespectfully. She took offense and later thought they rode accross the grass a second time after she had warned them (it was actually my brothers friend who rode accross the second time). So, the woman called an officer to the church. The officer questioned my brother and tried to coerce a confession from him about riding across this lawn the second time(after he had been told not to). My brother gave in eventually because he could see that circumstances were going nowhere. The officer then asked the disgruntled woman if she wanted him to "run them in."

                    Alright, all that for this:
                    • What is "running them in" and would it have been appropriate considering the circumstances?
                    • What do you think of my brother being coerced by the officer?
                    • My brother was coerced because his friend admitted to riding on the lawn after the incident.


                    Any opinions or insights from LEOs would be helpful.
                    Another case where respect for other people's property and a "yes ma'am" would have prevented a confrontation. You admit your brother was disrespectful. Hopefully he learned from this. The Officer was doing his job. Don't blow it out of proportion.
                    Courage is not defined by those who fought and fell...but by those who fought, fell and rose again!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by savage4presiden
                      The scenario I am about to describe happened a few days ago. It involved my younger brother, his friend, a woman with a bad hair day, and an officer.

                      My younger brother and his friend were riding their bikes at a nearby church. Apparantly, they were riding on the grass lawn of this church and a disgruntled woman (who worked there) did not like that. She told them to stop riding on the lawn. My brother and his friend responded disrespectfully. She took offense and later thought they rode accross the grass a second time after she had warned them (it was actually my brothers friend who rode accross the second time). So, the woman called an officer to the church. The officer questioned my brother and tried to coerce a confession from him about riding across this lawn the second time(after he had been told not to). My brother gave in eventually because he could see that circumstances were going nowhere. The officer then asked the disgruntled woman if she wanted him to "run them in."

                      Alright, all that for this:
                      • What is "running them in" and would it have been appropriate considering the circumstances?
                      • What do you think of my brother being coerced by the officer?
                      • My brother was coerced because his friend admitted to riding on the lawn after the incident.


                      Any opinions or insights from LEOs would be helpful.
                      This sounds like a fictional case study from one of my criminal law or procedure courses. Not trying to get some help on your homework are you?
                      Last edited by bigred0383; 06-28-2005, 12:27 AM.
                      Just so there is no confusion, I am a Law Enforcement Student, not a Cop.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OK first of all he was trespassing on church property. Second when told not to ride on the lawn he and his friend got smart mouthed with the lady. Why was he still hanging around when the police got there? Where was his friend? Seems to me your brother needs to be taught respect for others and their property. Since school had just gotten out here it might be a good idea to put a curb on his activies before he gets into real trouble.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by savage4presiden
                          I know how to handle my brother, thank you. My question was in the bulleted list. Your reply is waste of space, not to mention that webspace is a dime a dozen, so it's not really precious.
                          ***NOT A COP***

                          No offense intended at all, but if you know how to handle your little brother, why are you here? Secondly, shouldn't this be something that your parents should be stepping in on, instead of you coming onto the internet and trying to place the blame on the cop? It sounded like the officer was obviously just trying to scare the kids straight and at the same time point out to the church lady that she was over-reacting. Your first reaction was to try and place the blame on the cop instead of on your brother, whom even by your own admission was tresspassing. Feel free to flame my response all you want, but it sounds like the cop was doing his job, and you're a "dissatisfied customer."

                          ***again, NOT A COP***
                          STFU! Another great suggestion from the same mind that brought you "Kiss my butt" and "Leave me alone"


                          Why not?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Don't forget that the hand of one is the hand of all, so your little brother was just as legitamitely guilty as the friend. Consider yourself fortunate that your town has cops that are patient enough and not too busy to invest the time in kids and do some substitute parenting.
                            Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              [QUOTE=savage4presiden]The officer questioned my brother and tried to coerce a confession from him about riding across this lawn the second time(after he had been told not to). My brother gave in eventually because he could see that circumstances were going nowhere.QUOTE]

                              So let me try and figure this one out. "Coerce" means that the officer asked your brother about the situation. You brother "feeling" as if the officer was going to keep him there all day does not constitute being coerced. Tell your brother to have some respect, and he will not have these problems.
                              In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

                              In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

                              Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

                              I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.


                              The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3063 users online. 134 members and 2929 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X