Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is what I'm thinking. How does it sound to you?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawdog1228
    replied
    My two cents about the USAF. Before I continue I will say that it was one hell of an experience, and I wouldnt chage a thing about what I did.

They say they value education more, but as an AF cop, it was damn near impossible to go to school. I was only able to take one course during my four years, and believe it or not I never got deployed and I still couldnt take classes. My bases schedule was so messed up it was just out of the question. As far as credits gained from basic and tech school, that is all good and well, but most schools in my neck of the woods will not accept the CCAF credits. They took 4 of over 30.

Even though some say they are respectable, I would have to say that is debatable. I am currently going for my 2 year degree in Minnesota, and I feel taht I am learning far more about police work than I did in my 4 years in the AF. Sure some of the training is pretty useful and you can relate some of it, but I feel that the AF in a sense leaves out some important things. Depending on your base, you could be set. You could get great trainng, and equipment, or you could get minimal training, and poor equipment. Your base makes the difference. Where I was at the local PD thought we were a joke.

I am not saying that it is all that bad. You can gain some valuable people skills, and a basic feel for police work. How to deal with a subject is not something you can just pick up in a classroom, you have to do it. That is the biggest thing I took away from the AF.

I would reccomend my approach. Go in take some classes as you can, and take any civilian LE courses offered by local PDs. When you get out use the GI Bill to finish off what you couldnt do in the AF. Even going for 2 years after I get out, The GI Bill will more than cover what I need. Get some type of civilian position with a pd while you go to school, it can often be about who you know.

best of luck

Leave a comment:

• sawyerrt10
    replied
    Originally posted by pkagel
    Here is your best bet. Join the USAF and go to school while in. The AF values education more than any of the other services. The AF also has a very respectable police program. Do your 4 years and get out and use your GI Bill to cover any further classes you need for your BS degree and join a department.

As a soon to be retiring USAF Cop. I agree we have a very respectable police program. However, our deployment rates are also extremely high with no relief in sight. For a four year enlistee you can probably count on deploying to SW Asia at least 2 if not three times during that period.

Just my .02

Leave a comment:

• concon02
    replied
    Nevermind.....
    Last edited by concon02; 06-28-2005, 02:08 PM. Reason: Stupid

Leave a comment:

• pkagel
    replied
    Reserve Officer Training Corp. Basically it is military drill while in college and you get credits for it. At the end if you are good enough you get a commision as a 2nd Lt or a Navy Ensign.

Leave a comment:

• thayer123abc
    replied
    Now that I know its avaliable to me....

What exactly is the ROTC?

Leave a comment:

• 1sgkelly
    replied
    Originally posted by thayer123abc
    ROTC.......Correct me if im wrong, but it that only avalable to males?
    Nope we let girls play too.

Leave a comment:

• pkagel
    replied
    Here is your best bet. Join the USAF and go to school while in. The AF values education more than any of the other services. The AF also has a very respectable police program. Do your 4 years and get out and use your GI Bill to cover any further classes you need for your BS degree and join a department.

Leave a comment:

• thayer123abc
    replied
    ROTC.......Correct me if im wrong, but it that only avalable to males?

Leave a comment:

• concon02
    replied
    Originally posted by lsmalibu
    One of my classmates at the Academy got his bachelor's in 4 years while he was an active-duty Marine, so it's possible. But he also had plum assignments, never got sent overseas, and is a giant nerd in general.

But a hell of a guy.

In my VAST experience, you don't need either to get hired, but one both would be a big plus. In my academy class, the guys who were in the military didn't have degrees, and the guys with degrees weren't in the military (except for above).

About 80% of the class had no military experience and most only had an Associate's.

Just like departments don't really give a crap what you got your degree in, most of them don't care what military branch you were in or what you did as a specialty, as almost none of that transfers over. (Besides the discipline and bearing and whatnot)

If you're really interested in getting the benefits of the military, but want to go to school, too, consider joining the Reserves or attending a college with an ROTC unit.
    Thank you much sir.

Leave a comment:

• lsmalibu
    replied
    Originally posted by Conner
    If I was on active duty I don't think I'd be able to pull off getting credits while enlisted.
    One of my classmates at the Academy got his bachelor's in 4 years while he was an active-duty Marine, so it's possible. But he also had plum assignments, never got sent overseas, and is a giant nerd in general.

But a hell of a guy.

In my VAST experience, you don't need either to get hired, but one both would be a big plus. In my academy class, the guys who were in the military didn't have degrees, and the guys with degrees weren't in the military (except for above).

About 80% of the class had no military experience and most only had an Associate's.

Just like departments don't really give a crap what you got your degree in, most of them don't care what military branch you were in or what you did as a specialty, as almost none of that transfers over. (Besides the discipline and bearing and whatnot)

If you're really interested in getting the benefits of the military, but want to go to school, too, consider joining the Reserves or attending a college with an ROTC unit.

Leave a comment:

• concon02
    replied
    Originally posted by ZGXtreme
    Good luck doing college while enlisted if you go Army or Marines. Navy can take classes while deployed and for the Air Force, well some are doing 3 months deployments.

With the Army you are looking at 1 to 1.5 year deployments and with us (Marines) you are looking at deploying 7 months then going back overseas 7 months after you get home. While you may say "I can take a couple of classes" in that 7 months home... YEAH right, you'll be in the field for week long to month long training ops 6 out of the 7 months.
    Yeah, I know. Like I said, I'm not planning to school while I'm enlisted. So I'm trying to figure out the best solution.

Leave a comment:

• ZGXtreme
    replied
    Good luck doing college while enlisted if you go Army or Marines. Navy can take classes while deployed and for the Air Force, well some are doing 3 months deployments.

With the Army you are looking at 1 to 1.5 year deployments and with us (Marines) you are looking at deploying 7 months then going back overseas 7 months after you get home. While you may say "I can take a couple of classes" in that 7 months home... YEAH right, you'll be in the field for week long to month long training ops 6 out of the 7 months.

Leave a comment:

• concon02
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodie
    Army, Navy Air Force or Marines
    earn money for college get some credits while enlisted and come out in shape and ready for our world,
    College won't prepare you for anything but your application and testing.
    If I was on active duty I don't think I'd be able to pull off getting credits while enlisted.

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    Army, Navy Air Force or Marines
    earn money for college get some credits while enlisted and come out in shape and ready for our world,
    College won't prepare you for anything but your application and testing.

Leave a comment:

• Chief Wiggum
    replied
    Originally posted by Conner
    Yeah, but I was thinking of doing both (college and military). Is that overkill?
    No. I did both and I think it makes me a well rounded officer. If you do college 1st and then military they will pay off your student loans (at least the Army will). Plus with the college you'll start as an E-4 instead of an E-1. I wouldn't recommend the Army officer rout.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4338 users online. 276 members and 4062 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X