Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is what I'm thinking. How does it sound to you?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • This is what I'm thinking. How does it sound to you?

    Alright folks, like I've stated before, I'm eighteen and trying to figure out what the hell I'm gonna do with myself. I've narrowed it down to that I want to be a cop. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get there. At this point I'm thinking of starting a year of college this fall at a local community college and getting a start on my general ed. I'm thinking after the year is over I think I want to enlist in the army. My question is if I want to in the future, work for a bigger department, say in Nashville, Portland, San Jose or something like that what should I do as far as a military career goes? Should I go active duty or reserves? Should I do 2 years, 4 years, 6 years or what? I think I want to be a Military Police in the army so I can kind of get affiliated with the work. Also, I plan to continue my schooling and probably work on a degree after the military. I want to make myself as reputable a candidate as possible, so I can increase my chances of getting hired and then eventually rise the ranks or whatever. I need advice and I'm gonna start here looking for it. I appreciate all you guy's help that you give here.

  • #2
    Start and complete college. Many agencies are requiring educational requirements be met before you can apply. (ie. 2yrs college, or 60 credit hours, some departments are requiring a 4 yr degree.)

    There is (lately) more of an emphasis on education than military experience.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by APDSgt
      Start and complete college. Many agencies are requiring educational requirements be met before you can apply. (ie. 2yrs college, or 60 credit hours, some departments are requiring a 4 yr degree.)

      There is (lately) more of an emphasis on education than military experience.
      Yeah, but I was thinking of doing both (college and military). Is that overkill?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Conner
        Yeah, but I was thinking of doing both (college and military). Is that overkill?
        No. I did both and I think it makes me a well rounded officer. If you do college 1st and then military they will pay off your student loans (at least the Army will). Plus with the college you'll start as an E-4 instead of an E-1. I wouldn't recommend the Army officer rout.
        Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

        Comment


        • #5
          Army, Navy Air Force or Marines
          earn money for college get some credits while enlisted and come out in shape and ready for our world,
          College won't prepare you for anything but your application and testing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bodie
            Army, Navy Air Force or Marines
            earn money for college get some credits while enlisted and come out in shape and ready for our world,
            College won't prepare you for anything but your application and testing.
            If I was on active duty I don't think I'd be able to pull off getting credits while enlisted.

            Comment


            • #7
              Good luck doing college while enlisted if you go Army or Marines. Navy can take classes while deployed and for the Air Force, well some are doing 3 months deployments.

              With the Army you are looking at 1 to 1.5 year deployments and with us (Marines) you are looking at deploying 7 months then going back overseas 7 months after you get home. While you may say "I can take a couple of classes" in that 7 months home... YEAH right, you'll be in the field for week long to month long training ops 6 out of the 7 months.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ZGXtreme
                Good luck doing college while enlisted if you go Army or Marines. Navy can take classes while deployed and for the Air Force, well some are doing 3 months deployments.

                With the Army you are looking at 1 to 1.5 year deployments and with us (Marines) you are looking at deploying 7 months then going back overseas 7 months after you get home. While you may say "I can take a couple of classes" in that 7 months home... YEAH right, you'll be in the field for week long to month long training ops 6 out of the 7 months.
                Yeah, I know. Like I said, I'm not planning to school while I'm enlisted. So I'm trying to figure out the best solution.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Conner
                  If I was on active duty I don't think I'd be able to pull off getting credits while enlisted.
                  One of my classmates at the Academy got his bachelor's in 4 years while he was an active-duty Marine, so it's possible. But he also had plum assignments, never got sent overseas, and is a giant nerd in general.

                  But a hell of a guy.

                  In my VAST experience, you don't need either to get hired, but one both would be a big plus. In my academy class, the guys who were in the military didn't have degrees, and the guys with degrees weren't in the military (except for above).

                  About 80% of the class had no military experience and most only had an Associate's.

                  Just like departments don't really give a crap what you got your degree in, most of them don't care what military branch you were in or what you did as a specialty, as almost none of that transfers over. (Besides the discipline and bearing and whatnot)

                  If you're really interested in getting the benefits of the military, but want to go to school, too, consider joining the Reserves or attending a college with an ROTC unit.
                  *Not a cop*

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lsmalibu
                    One of my classmates at the Academy got his bachelor's in 4 years while he was an active-duty Marine, so it's possible. But he also had plum assignments, never got sent overseas, and is a giant nerd in general.

                    But a hell of a guy.

                    In my VAST experience, you don't need either to get hired, but one both would be a big plus. In my academy class, the guys who were in the military didn't have degrees, and the guys with degrees weren't in the military (except for above).

                    About 80% of the class had no military experience and most only had an Associate's.

                    Just like departments don't really give a crap what you got your degree in, most of them don't care what military branch you were in or what you did as a specialty, as almost none of that transfers over. (Besides the discipline and bearing and whatnot)

                    If you're really interested in getting the benefits of the military, but want to go to school, too, consider joining the Reserves or attending a college with an ROTC unit.
                    Thank you much sir.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ROTC.......Correct me if im wrong, but it that only avalable to males?
                      Dont wait...Procrastinate now!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Here is your best bet. Join the USAF and go to school while in. The AF values education more than any of the other services. The AF also has a very respectable police program. Do your 4 years and get out and use your GI Bill to cover any further classes you need for your BS degree and join a department.
                        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

                        For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by thayer123abc
                          ROTC.......Correct me if im wrong, but it that only avalable to males?
                          Nope we let girls play too.
                          Kelly

                          We are the thin blue line
                          between you
                          and all the money in the world.

                          And no you can't have any.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Now that I know its avaliable to me....

                            What exactly is the ROTC?
                            Dont wait...Procrastinate now!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Reserve Officer Training Corp. Basically it is military drill while in college and you get credits for it. At the end if you are good enough you get a commision as a 2nd Lt or a Navy Ensign.
                              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

                              For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4639 users online. 281 members and 4358 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X