300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Called 911 and all I got was a rude person

Okay I called 911 this afternoon and the person on the other end was rude from the start. I called saying the person in front of me was driving crazy and looked like he was drunk. I was just going to call and report it and now follow the dude but the guy ended up going to the same place I was. Okay let me get to the point I told her that the guy infront of is driving crazy and seems to be driving drunk because it was bad. Okay I told her what I saw and stuff and ask her if she wanted the plate # and she said yeah give it to me quick. I give her the plate # and ask rude what the car make was and when I said I dont know she ask what color it was. I told her I did not know the make since it was a old beat up car with no make on it but I did give her the color of the car and it was gray. I also said it had tints in the back if that helped and she was like "GET AWAY FROM THE PERSON STAY AWAY FROM THE CAR STAY AWAY FROM IT NOW DONT GET NEAR IT GO HOME NOW " and hung up. I was no where near the car I had just walk in the store still talking to her. Also I was thinking after she hung up on me that I should have told her how rude she was to me and should not have this job if she wont do it. I went into the store for about 20 mins to buy some food and when I came back the car was still there and no police. Looks like this ladie would rather not care and have someone get hurt since there a drunk/drugger on the road. Could I have reported her to her boss for being rude to a 911 caller or is that just how they are because this is not the first time I had called 911 and get people that are just plain rude because each time I have called was because I would be driving and have a drunk in front of me.

Cheers,
    Joey
    Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector was unplugged.

Sorry for it being long
    Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector was unplugged.

Comment

Where to begin....First of all, understand that it is unacceptable to be treated in a rude manner from a dispatcher however; depending on what is going on in their world at the time you called may have solicited those short, irritating and somewhat rude comments. At the time you called, she/he may have been involved in a myriad of other issues and if even one of those issues (an officer involved in a fight etc) were present then that's why you got the response you did.

As far as staying away from the vehicle or following it at a good distance, that was the right call. You are not a police officer and you need not get involved or caught up with this person. Just for example, had they not been drunk and just were reckless in their driving ability and noticed that you were following them and decided to see what you were all about well, were would you be then??

Next issue, If you went inside the store or wherever you went, how do you know if the police did not drive through the parking lot? Once that alleged impaired person has parked and exited the vehicle, there's not a lot that can be done.

Now, my suggestion to you is this. If you see something that you fell absoulutely needs to be addressed by the police by all means call it in. Be a good witness, don't follow or put yourself in danger and try to be more understanding.

If you haven't already, sit in with a dispatcher with your local department and see what goes on behind the scenes, your view will change.

I hope this helps, and respond if you need.
      There's no substitute for strength,
      and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

911 Tape Can Be Reviewed

Just maybe there was not an officer available to handle the call in a timely fashion and we would like to hear the operators side or of course the 911 tape........ would it yield any info you left out or add anything tothis entry.
        All 911 calls are recorded both sides of the conversation so you can call the police department in that area and complain and they will as required review the tape and take any steps required to handle a rude operator.
        Last edited by Bodie; 06-28-2005, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Rudeness is subjective. I didn't hear what was said so I won't comment on that issue.

But the dispatcher should tell you to quit following. There is this little thing called road rage and what often happens is that the person following the bad driver eventually takes it into his own hands. Once you've given the info then the dispatcher should tell to back off so you both don't pull over down the road and fight over it. Maybe you wouldn't do that but the dispatcher doesn't know you and has no way of knowing if you would or not. She can't read your mind and she can't know what your true intentions are.

And you called it in and the car was parked. Pretty much the end of the story right there for the cops. Once the car is out of motion the guy driving is pretty much home free because for DUI, if thats what he was, we have to get him in motion. Occasionally you can make a case otherwise in situations like an accident but its nearly impossible to make a DUI stick on a guy who wasn't even driving when you got there. All the cops can do is drive by, say "yep theres the car" and if its not busy and if there are no other calls holding then the cop might be able to watch it for a bit to see if it drives off. But in your case it obviously didn't for a while and the cop can't sit there all day. You imply she didn't do anything when in fact for all you know she broadcast it out to the cops. Does that mean a cop drove by? Your guess is as good as mine because perhaps no cops were available, none were in the area, or maybe some did drive by.

Comment

If the dispatcher got all the info she needed, then she did the right thing by getting you off the phone so she could get to another call. You're not the only person calling 911, this most likely wasn't the highest priority thing going on. Just because you didn't see any officers doesn't mean she didn't give out the info. Again, there was likely other things going on. Dispatchers can't sit there and comfort you while you give them every irrelevant detail, they have other things to do. Being brief isn't being rude.
            Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Officers will respond to priority calls rather then the report of a "gray car" possibly driving erratically. That's so general and non-descript, how could you expect a response?
              Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
              --------------------
              This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

Rudeness and on-view issues aside, if you talk like you write, I'd have hung up on you because you seem intoxicated.

Be glad you didn't get "If you have a REAL Emergency, press 1 now. If you want to report your neighbor for leaving his dog loose in the neighborhood, press 2 now. If you would like to inquire about our business hours, press 3 now.

All, of course, followed by the equivelant Spanish Translation.
                Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                --------------------------------------------------
                Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Being rude is subjective. Yes.

Another thing you have to take into consideration is the HIGH AMT. OF Moronic NONpolice related calls that 911 dispatchers deal with CONTINIOUSLY. Im sure after an 8hr day of phones blowing up and alot of morons calling 911 for things that 911 should not be used for that you would most likely be alil perturbed. Not to say that it is right for someone to be rude or bite your head off when you call, but i believe that both sides of the conversation have to be sensitive to what each is going through.

Examples of what ive herd 911 called for: ("nonpolice" emergencies)
                  1) power outage
                  2) im skeard of my 5yr old {LMAO!} <--- i love that one
                  3) "Wasps" out side of my door
                  4) Directions
                  5) Legal Advice
                  Etc etc etc.....

Comment

So basically you called in with virutally no information that a drunk might be driving, and they have to force you to give the description. Youre not a very good rp, and these calls dont even get a police response in every area I have worked. We are busy and dont have time to dilly daley. Some times that comes off as rude. Go do a sit a long.

This is why as a dispatcher, I hate cell phones.
                    Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

I'm not a cop, I'm like a cop groupie or something, but I can see you think you're helping your community by calling this in and I don't think you deserve a bunch of critism. It's not like you can just hang up on her and call back hoping to get a different dispatcher, but after she hung up you could have...just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ReneeFun1
                        I'm not a cop, I'm like a cop groupie or something, but I can see you think you're helping your community by calling this in and I don't think you deserve a bunch of critism. It's not like you can just hang up on her and call back hoping to get a different dispatcher, but after she hung up you could have...just a thought.
                        Absolute Genius. Why do we get all the "smart" twinkies?
                        Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
                        --------------------
                        This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

Okay.

No, I'm not going to excuse her rudeness. I can underSTAND, having to sit there & get umpteen calls a day about "This driver's drunk" or "My 5 year old's trying to fight me" or "I want the police because my neighbor got water on my car with his sprinkler" (just yesterday). But I can still relate to expecting at least DEcency when calling 911...just doesn't always happen.

Everyone I know is told to cover his/her own *** by telling callers "Don't follow a "subject/offender" because of the potential danger I probably don't have to go into. If you think he's drunk (or high on drugs) why would you FOLLOW him, what's going to come of it if he notices & gets ****ed off...or does something erratic & ends up in an accident-w/injuries with you.

You asSUME the person's drunk, but unless the police CATCH him in the act of driving or sitting behind the wheel (even parked, sitting behind the wheel without the car on is assumed to be intent to drive here), they can't DUI him off of someone else's statement (unless it's in the case of an accident, as someone mentioned).

You've only called to report drivers that you assumed to be drunk...you could be calling in the middle of a more serious situation (person shot, battery in-progress, etc...), which could explain the haste on SOME dispatchers' parts...everything's supposed to be based on priority. And yeah, you could call & at bare minimum get her TALKED to about rudeness, at most formally disciplined. But rudeness is sometimes subjective (as someone ELSE mentioned). The supervisor who reviews the tape might objectively feel that she was within the realm of her duties...might not.

Oh...& in terms of her not caring, it could be the "priority" thing again...or your perception of "importance." That department's policy could be that such calls are simply broadcast in case a unit sees the vehicle (not rare)...and not actually asSIGNED to a unit.

Comment

Just A Thought

You said you gave her the plate information. Then she told you to stay away from the car. She might have run the plate and found that the guy was wanted for a violent crime and wanted to get off of the phone to DISPATCH out the call. You never know.

Comment

Originally posted by azchopshopcop
                              Where to begin....First of all, understand that it is unacceptable to be treated in a rude manner from a dispatcher however; depending on what is going on in their world at the time you called may have solicited those short, irritating and somewhat rude comments. At the time you called, she/he may have been involved in a myriad of other issues and if even one of those issues (an officer involved in a fight etc) were present then that's why you got the response you did.

As far as staying away from the vehicle or following it at a good distance, that was the right call. You are not a police officer and you need not get involved or caught up with this person. Just for example, had they not been drunk and just were reckless in their driving ability and noticed that you were following them and decided to see what you were all about well, were would you be then??

Next issue, If you went inside the store or wherever you went, how do you know if the police did not drive through the parking lot? Once that alleged impaired person has parked and exited the vehicle, there's not a lot that can be done.

Now, my suggestion to you is this. If you see something that you fell absoulutely needs to be addressed by the police by all means call it in. Be a good witness, don't follow or put yourself in danger and try to be more understanding.

If you haven't already, sit in with a dispatcher with your local department and see what goes on behind the scenes, your view will change.

I hope this helps, and respond if you need.
                              I don't know if it's true, but I called in a possible 10-56 motorcyclist and followed him at a far distance while the officers came out. He ended up at his house, the officer arrived and asked what happened, I explained to him that the motorcycle would go 10/60...then he'd floor it to about 80/60...then back down to 10, and when he was at 10mph he would weave through all 4 lanes of traffic...officer says "stay here one minute" and walks up to the guys house, arrests him for DWI within a matter of 5min(needed to perform SFT). Officer thanked me for my time and carted him off to the station. So I don't know if you're right saying once he's out of a vehicle there is not alot they can do...but I don't know

*edit*
                              I was told something about having to file a complaint since he didn't observe it or something like that, so I went to the station and signed some papers but I did nothing further.
                              Last edited by CGPD4566; 06-30-2005, 10:52 AM.
                              In Memoriam:
                              Cpl. Chad Wayne Powell
                              USMC
                              Killed in Action
                              Fallujah, Iraq
                              June 23, 2005

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158324 users online. 132 members and 158192 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X