300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't decide.

I was offered a job, to work Mall Security for a mall known for it's criminal activity. I am thinking about taking it, however I heard Loss Prevention, is much better experience. I'm only 18 at the time, so I just want the most experience I can get at the moment. Until I'm actually old enough to apply for LE.

Any suggestions?
    "Be polite,
    Be professional,
    But always have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

Hey if you're 18 I'd say go for it. You'll get experience with dealing with people that hate you

Comment

Mall Security offers more up front people contact. Loss Prevention is tough and could lead you to injury or lawsuit at an early age.
      Why not apply to be a Dispatcher at a local agency etc.

Comment

18 military

Kelly

We are the thin blue line
        between you
        and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

I doubt the mall security job would make/break you. I'd find some way to earn a degree.
          I know I should feed the trolls but it is just SO hard.

Comment

I'm going to say military is an excellent choice. If you are set against that then I'd take the mall job while going to college. You'll get face time with people and learn how to talk with them instead of down to them.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I don't think it matters whether you do mall security or loss prevention. What matters is how you conduct yourself under their employment. If you know your role, are attentive and conduct yourself professionally you will be ok with either job. I know many state/local cops who once worked these jobs (myself included).

OTOH if you act like an overzealous, goofy wannabe cop you will be branded as such. Whatever you do- refrain from buying a crown vic and leave the scanner at home. Needless to say the guys that I knew in this category never made it to LE.
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

On 2nd THOUGHT ........................ at 18 join the ARMED FORCES if you want to be a cop later. Foreget Security of any kind

Comment

Working mall security, you're certainly going to learn to deal effectively with the public, which is something that any good cops needs to know how to do. As far as joining the military, that's a personal choice, but you won't learn discipline as well anywhere else. Almost every person I've interviewed and seen hired with a military background has been a good choice.
                  Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

I thought about joining the military, but thought again. Yea, I plan on getting my degree in criminal justice in the fall.

It's just a hard decision, that's also based on the hours I'd receiving. 20 hours for mall security (which I really want to do) or continue working my customer service job full time, and hopefully find a LP job in the near future. Anyways I have til tomorrow to decide.

Thanks for the input guys.
                    "Be polite,
                    Be professional,

Comment

You could also do ROTC while in college to give you a little taste of military life.
                      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

The CJ Degree can be achieved in the military and you save a ton of money so go that route. Don't get a CJ degree and think that will get you a leo slot.
                        A guy with a business, art or teaching degree will have just as good a chance as you.

The CJ degree grants you nothing since a convicted felon can get a CJ degree

Comment

I think I'm going to join the army (if I can) and try to be an MP and also work on a degree, probably in CJ. I think that's the best route to go.

Comment

Just make sure and do your homework before you sign up. If you want to be an MP, great, go talk to some current AD MP's about the E5 (Sgt.) rank and see what they have to say about their job good and bad.

Comment

Well the thing is, my college is completely paid for through the VA. So it's not an issue of money. Right now the military is out of the question for me. Especially what our country is going through.

I dunno, I'll let ya guys know if I take the job or not.
                              "Be polite,
                              Be professional,

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4309 users online. 238 members and 4071 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X