300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic,Violent, crime scene

I think this question been asked but here it goes, how did you (current police officers) train to take in the sight of a gory and violent crime scene? I know it isn't easy to swallow but however, is there any tricks to do in order to take it in. I'm concern that when the day come in the academy and I see a graphic crime scene I would not be able to take it. I did some search on the internet and found and saw very graphic pictures. My stomach turn and I felt angry because who could done this to another human being. Is that why police officers have trouble fitting in with the rest of the crowd, seeing the images of people dead or suffering?

There is no "training". You just go there and do your job. Some officers tolerate better than others. There were still a lot of old skoo cops around when I started. They just threw me in. Sink or swim.

I don't think police officers are social misfits. We just enjoy a a unique sense of camaraderie.

Comment

It's all about emotional detachment. I was 17 working security when I got a 'loud noise' complaint. I entered the apartment and saw the result of a sawed off gauge suicide. Being able to react and do your job in the face of something like that is all in your mind.

Comment

Dark humor. You have to be able to laugh about it. Obviously you have to be tactful; make sure no one other than cops (or firefighters) can hear you, and make jokes about it. It helps you detach.

Comment

I received no special training to ready me for my first gory scene, and I seriously doubt many officers do. As stated before, you just respond, do your job, and stay detached.
          "I only had a couple!"

Comment

I read that once the rush to do your job is over, the images of the crime scene stay in your mind and causes you to be uncontrol. By control I mean dealing with the problem. I guess everyone has their own way of dealing with it, however what happen if you can't deal with it?

Comment

Originally posted by E4D9forever
              what happen if you can't deal with it?
              Find a new job. The job is great, but it's not worth burning yourself up for.

Comment

A few months ago on my first ride along, i saw a pretty gory scene, and was suprised at first, how many jokes were said by the cops. BUt I guess you either laugh or you cry.
                "Be polite,
                Be professional,
                But always have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

Comment

Originally posted by Lookin2Future
                  A few months ago on my first ride along, i saw a pretty gory scene, and was suprised at first, how many jokes were said by the cops. BUt I guess you either laugh or you cry.
                  What did you see?

Comment

Oprah without make-up?

Comment

***NOT A COP***

But most of the ones I know do tend to deal with it by joking about it. I've got a twisted sense of humor, so the guys don't have a problem sharing the jokes with me, and the verbal recounting of the scene. Plus, I tend to think that they don't dwell on it longer than it takes to get the job done. The levity helps put the scene to rest in their minds, so they can get on with the task of going home safe at the end of shift. It's (I think) why so many cops have hobbies that have nothing to do with LE, you've got to be able to get away from it.

***this has been two cents from this Not-A-Cop ***
                      STFU! Another great suggestion from the same mind that brought you "Kiss my butt" and "Leave me alone"

Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                        Oprah without make-up?
                        I chuckled.

Comment

Originally posted by E4D9forever
                          I read that once the rush to do your job is over, the images of the crime scene stay in your mind and causes you to be uncontrol. By control I mean dealing with the problem. I guess everyone has their own way of dealing with it, however what happen if you can't deal with it?
                          You can't take it personal and let "work" ruin your life. Worst call I've had was a suicide where the guy blew his head off with a shotgun with his two daughters watching tv a floor above. I talked to the kids 4 and 6 and tried to reassure them as best as I could. When I got home the first thing I did was tell my kids I loved them. (my twins were four and a half at the time and probably watching the same tv show)

Sometimes we see some really $hitty things, but you make a joke, talk too your friends, and love the ones closest to you a little more each day.

Comment

Everybody has different ways of dealing with the things we see on the job, but it is not something you should bottle up. Talk to your co-workers, priest or councillor, it helps to tell someone about it.

I found that I have become desensitised to it, possibly because I
                            If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Comment

A guy had tried to commit suicide, stabbed himself in the stomach, and had torn it open, quite a bit. watched him die. Probably not a big deal to you guys, but I was 17 at time.
                              "Be polite,
                              Be professional,
                              But always have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2962 users online. 160 members and 2802 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X