300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD/FDNY Rivalry

I always wondered if the rivalry between cops and firemen (Anywhere in general but especially here in NYC) is as heated as the media and people in general say it is. Most TV shows (Denis Leary's "Rescue Me" being a good example) portray it as being practically a blood feud, and my father told me plenty of stories about my fireman grandfather getting into fistfights with cops all the time, although he's known to embellish. Is there any weight to the hype?

I would say all those stories are probably true...FD and PD in NYC are fighting for the same money...they are one of the only Police departments that have a rescue unit as big as a the FD.....
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

It might have something to do with the fact that FDNY members had been caught stealing from Ground Zero... if they steal from something like that... imagine what they are doing when they goto a smoke alarm activation while investigating the scene.
      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

The FD and PD are fighting because of the earlier days of Dinkins to present. Dinkins who loved the FD granted them "IN Charge" of major accident scenes. This was ALWAYS the job of the Police. Since then, it goes back and forth, depending on the Administration (MAYOR) at the time. I belive the FD are still in charge. What really sucks is the resources wasted. Why have a Fire or Police (ESU) respond to the same "pin job" (for those that are NOT New Yorker's that is a person trapped in a vehicle after an accident). I think only one should be called. It's a waste to see both responding, when the other could be waiting for the next call
        live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

It's all a political power play by both departments. In the field everyone works fine together. I'm sure there are few remote instances where they don't. The media jumps on it because it sells papers. It's a city of 7 million. And no most FDNY are honest hard working guys and they don't steal. alot are ex-NYPD or have family on NYPD. Civil service is a very big family thing in the NYC metro area.
          retired, NOT retarded

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper4985
            It might have something to do with the fact that FDNY members had been caught stealing from Ground Zero... if they steal from something like that... imagine what they are doing when they goto a smoke alarm activation while investigating the scene.
            What exactly were they stealing? Not trying to be a smart ***, I really want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Joebob
              What exactly were they stealing? Not trying to be a smart ***, I really want to know.
              Removing anything is stealing. When I worked downstate and dealt with FDNY and NYPD on a daily basis I was told that the major ****ing contest was because some FDNY guys were caught with things like watches, rings and wallets.
              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

There were stories of firemen breaking open ATMS and stealing merchandise from a few stores around Ground Zero, from what I understand. Even if that is true, it was still an isolated incident and surely not reflective of all firefighters in general. I come from an old-fashioned, blue-collar New York Irish family with plenty of both cops and firemen in my family tree, and I have nothing but respect for the FDNY and their members. But the NYPD is my calling and with any luck I'll be wearing a badge in two or three years' time.

Comment

Nypd

Originally posted by NyBob85
                  There were stories of firemen breaking open ATMS and stealing merchandise from a few stores around Ground Zero, from what I understand. Even if that is true, it was still an isolated incident and surely not reflective of all firefighters in general. I come from an old-fashioned, blue-collar New York Irish family with plenty of both cops and firemen in my family tree, and I have nothing but respect for the FDNY and their members. But the NYPD is my calling and with any luck I'll be wearing a badge in two or three years' time.
                  Just for future reference, NYPD calls it a shield, not a badge.

Comment

Didn't Bloomberg make the PD In-Charge again? Truth is I hear of more NYPD guys with legal problems than I do FDNY. FDNY is a better job according to most I talk to. I know at least 20 guys that started with NYPD that went to FDNY, and that's just the ones I know. Got to love those 24 hour shifts and their beni's are better. It's just more like a family.
                    They both work for the same bunch of penny pinching 'crats. I heard that NYPD just received an arbitration ruling for 10% over 2 years. Bloomberg wanted 5% over 3 years. Their higher ups make good money, so if you take good tests that's the place to be. I know a Deputy Chief that lives next door that just retired from FDNY and he's bringing home over 110k.
                    They call it PMS because MadCow Disease was already taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Upstate
                      Didn't Bloomberg make the PD In-Charge again? .
                      I wasn't sure that
                      live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4744 users online. 261 members and 4483 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X