300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question for ALL Background Investigators

I hate to even ask this question but, it's driving my crazy. This is for any of the officers on here that have in the past or currently perform background investigations for their departments.

I have an EX-wife who is extremely bitter (divorce was 5 years ago). I'm certain that she will be contacted during my background investigation. I am also certain that she will make up as many lies as possible on me if she believes she can do anything to influence the outcome of me achieving my ultimate goal.

I am sure that some of you have ran across this in the past. Here is my question. How much weight is their "word" given? Is everything taken in it's totality with everyone else that you interview or is all it takes is for one person to say bad things about to hurt (not end) but hurt the applicants chances?

Thanks in Advance,

TRPR2B
    Last edited by trpr2b; 06-17-2005, 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    Be a leader, not a follower

I know some cops, including one trooper that had a prior divorce while applying. Don't worry about it. Remember, the BI is a human being, he/she knows that relationships ending badly is a fact of life. They also know when a relationship ends bad, neither party is a truly credible witness as to all issues. The bottom line is, I highly doubt any good BI is going to put much stock in what your ex-wife has to say about you. As long as there is no outstanding child support or any documented history of domestic violence or abuse, you should be fine.

Comment

I encountered one or two of these. If it was inconsistant with all the other data, we noted the source.
      If it seemed very 'out of hand' at the time of the interview, as a Fed I reminded the "ex" that false statements to a Federal Officer are a crime! Then I would place them under oath! That usually ended the interview, and was noted in the file.

Just tell your BI that yours was not a 'happy' divorce, and leave it at that.
      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
      John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
        I encountered one or two of these. If it was inconsistant with all the other data, we noted the source.
        If it seemed very 'out of hand' at the time of the interview, as a Fed I reminded the "ex" that false statements to a Federal Officer are a crime! Then I would place them under oath! That usually ended the interview, and was noted in the file.

Just tell your BI that yours was not a 'happy' divorce, and leave it at that.
        Great. Thank you very much. I never thought about the part you mentioned about making false statements. This is for a local PD so I'm not sure what all the law states about making false statements to a police officer. Boy, that sure would be great if they would start off the interview with something along the lines of "I need to make you aware in advance that making false statements to a LEO is a such and such criminal offense". That would take care of it right then and there.

Comment

As long as you have been up front like about were police ever called to residence, did conflicts ever get physical etc then she can do nothing to cause you harm.
          Logic would say that unless they have to they won't or should not even talk to her since she will be considered a "hostile" source.
          Last edited by Bodie; 06-17-2005, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
            As long as you have been up front like about werwe police ever called to residence, did conflicts ever get physical etc then she can do nothing to cause you harm.
            Logic would say that unless they have to they won't or should not even talk to her since she will be considered a "hostile" source.
            Bodie,

Thanks for the reply. No there was never any police called to the residence or physical conflicts. I have never laid my hands on a woman. Not that I'm bragging. That is the way it's suppose to be. Most of her accusations (after I left) were more along the lines of "he cheated on me", I stole part of her possessions, I took all her money, I left her with a bunch of unpaid bills,things like that.

Obviously none of which are true. She was/is just bats.

TRPR2B

Comment

Nobody is going to listen to her.

Comment

Thanks for putting me at ease. You know what they say about a woman scorned.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4440 users online. 259 members and 4181 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X