X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guckino
    Forum Member
    • May 2005

Just A Question.

Hello everyone, just have a question about something. A little while ago i was written up for curfew. It was a school night ( i had no school the next day) and i was going to stay over at a buddies house. Well at the last moment something came up so i couldnt stay over. Instead of waking my parents to pick me up i decided to walk home since its not far away. Now since i had off i did not think about curfew (10:30). I was on my block about 5 houses away from my house when a female officer pulls over and writes me up for curfew(it was only 5 min past curfew). I told her where my house was (visible from where we were) and she continues to tell me that i was not in trouble and just needed to give me all my information(which i did).

Now dont get me wrong as i have the greatest respect for police officers and everything they do (i even have an interest in law inforcement myself). But dont you think its a little unnecessary for her to write me up 5 houses away from my house 5 min after curfew?(I dont look suspicious or like a goth or anything..... at least to me)

Im not mad since its not a big deal but am just wondering if officers have a certain amout of write ups (or tickets or whatever) they have to give in a certain amount of time that might change their oppinions whether to give a ticket or not.

Also she asked me if i went to church or not(dont know if it was because i go to a catholic school), why would this make a difference on anything?

Thanks in advance

-Mark
  • retired
    Senior Veteran
    • Jun 2000

Originally posted by Guckino
    Hello everyone, just have a question about something. A little while ago i was written up for curfew. It was a school night ( i had no school the next day) and i was going to stay over at a buddies house. Well at the last moment something came up so i couldnt stay over. Instead of waking my parents to pick me up i decided to walk home since its not far away. Now since i had off i did not think about curfew (10:30). I was on my block about 5 houses away from my house when a female officer pulls over and writes me up for curfew(it was only 5 min past curfew). I told her where my house was (visible from where we were) and she continues to tell me that i was not in trouble and just needed to give me all my information(which i did).

Now dont get me wrong as i have the greatest respect for police officers and everything they do (i even have an interest in law inforcement myself). But dont you think its a little unnecessary for her to write me up 5 houses away from my house 5 min after curfew?(I dont look suspicious or like a goth or anything..... at least to me)

Im not mad since its not a big deal but am just wondering if officers have a certain amout of write ups (or tickets or whatever) they have to give in a certain amount of time that might change their oppinions whether to give a ticket or not.

Also she asked me if i went to church or not(dont know if it was because i go to a catholic school), why would this make a difference on anything?

Thanks in advance

-Mark
    I'm guessing she had nothing better to do.

But here is some info from a SCOTUS opinion, with exceptions to a curfew law.

3/23/98) The Supreme Court refused to consider a case against a Charlottesville, Virginia curfew and thereby allowed it to remain in effect. The curfew was midnight to 5 a.m. weekdays and 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays -- for anyone under 17.

A federal appeals court previously ruled that the city, "was constitutionally justified in believing that its curfew would materially assist its first stated interest -- that of reducing juvenile violence and crime." The court also added that the curfew serves to protect children and supports parental efforts to discipline their children.

The curfew's many exceptions possibly influenced the Supreme Court. Charlottesville officials specifically pointed out that their curfew had more exceptions that other city curfews, such as the one in Washington, DC, which had been ruled unconstitutional.

The Charlottesville curfew, which took effect in early 1997, contains exceptions for minors accompanied by a parent or on an errand for a parent and in possession of an explanatory note, or attending various school, religious or civic activities.

More importantly, exceptions also exist for minors working or commuting to or from work during those hours, or for minors "exercising First Amendment rights ... such as the free exercise of religion, freedom of speech and the right of assembly."

Therefore, the Supreme Court may have indirectly indicated that only curfews with a First Amendment exception are constitutional. If your city's curfew does not include the exception, it may be unconstitutional.
    Retired

Comment

• JHoek
      One *** To Risk
      • Feb 2005

It is possible that there had been a lot problems with juveniles in the area and so the officers were writing everyone in violation of curfew.

Comment

• badger
        Tackleberry
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by JHoek
        It is possible that there had been a lot problems with juveniles in the area and so the officers were writing everyone in violation of curfew.
        And that is the only reason I write them. I used to only call the parents and have them pick up their child and only write the child if they were causing a problem. Now, because of a lot of problems associated with a small group in the area, nobody gets a break. Another case of a few bad apples ruining it for everyone. That and it was put out from the Chief that this was to be SOP. (We do have the okay to utilize our discretion at the hearing though )
        " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

• L-1
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Guckino
          I...she continues to tell me that i was not in trouble and just needed to give me all my information(which i did).

But dont you think its a little unnecessary for her to write me up 5 houses away from my house 5 min after curfew?
          I'm confused. Did she cite you (give you a ticket for which you must appear in court) for curfew or did she just take your identifying infomation?
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Guckino
            Forum Member
            • May 2005

She took all my information and then a letter got send to my house saying that i was out passed curfew, but i think it said it was just a warning.

Thanks for all the responses.

-Mark

Comment

• Creeker
              Kickin' back in Carolina
              • Mar 2004

We don't have curfew's here, but it sounds like she was making an impression on a young impressionable that it is the law and breaking it by 5 minutes, 5 blocks, or 5 hours, 5 miles you will not be the exception. That is where the "warning" part came in.
              Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
              --------------------------------------------------
              Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19396 users online. 51 members and 19345 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...