Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questionable background and still got on the force!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Questionable background and still got on the force!

    I've posed this question both for selfish reasons and idle curiosity. I ran into an old duddy of mine the other day doing detail work at a construction site. The fact that he was a police officer was shocking.

    This individual was arrested on scene for burglary and B&E a little over 7 years ago. Granted the case was continued without a finding but I thought something like this would exclude anyone from LE. Does anyone here know of someone who got on the force but should not have?

  • #2
    Originally posted by IloveAmerica
    I've posed this question both for selfish reasons and idle curiosity. I ran into an old duddy of mine the other day doing detail work at a construction site. The fact that he was a police officer was shocking.

    This individual was arrested on scene for burglary and B&E a little over 7 years ago. Granted the case was continued without a finding but I thought something like this would exclude anyone from LE. Does anyone here know of someone who got on the force but should not have?
    What does "continued without a finding" mean? does that mean Not Guilty or adjudicated contemplating dismissal. If he was found not guilty, then why not. Some Police Officers make mistakes and are over zealous as well or maybe the prosecution had a weak case.
    live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sob153
      What does "continued without a finding" mean? does that mean Not Guilty or adjudicated contemplating dismissal. If he was found not guilty, then why not. Some Police Officers make mistakes and are over zealous as well or maybe the prosecution had a weak case.

      To be honest with you I don't know exactly what continued without a finding means. I do know that you were not found guilty or innocent it was just continued.

      Come to think of it, there was another case back in early 1997 where someone who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and was trying to become a police officer. If recalled it even made the news and the individual was featured on AMW.
      Last edited by IloveAmerica; 05-23-2005, 12:49 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Sometimes it happens. They probably did not find out about it in his background check. Some departments depend WAY too much on the poly instead of doing a good investigation. Maybe, he really had nothing to do w/ the burg so it didn't matter.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

        For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pkagel
          Sometimes it happens. They probably did not find out about it in his background check. Some departments depend WAY too much on the poly instead of doing a good investigation. Maybe, he really had nothing to do w/ the burg so it didn't matter.

          According to him he did not lie about it and put it on the application. It is illegal to force someone to take the polygraph out here in taxssachusettes.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sob153
            What does "continued without a finding" mean? does that mean Not Guilty or adjudicated contemplating dismissal. If he was found not guilty, then why not. Some Police Officers make mistakes and are over zealous as well or maybe the prosecution had a weak case.
            Continued without a finding (CWOF) means that the case is continued for a set amount of time (usually a year). If the defendant stays out of trouble and abides by the court's instructions (community service, fines, attending AA meetings, etc.) during that time, then the charges are dismissed. CWOF's are used a lot for first-time offenders with relatively minor charges, it's kind of like a second chance.
            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Delta784
              Continued without a finding (CWOF) means that the case is continued for a set amount of time (usually a year). If the defendant stays out of trouble and abides by the court's instructions (community service, fines, attending AA meetings, etc.) during that time, then the charges are dismissed. CWOF's are used a lot for first-time offenders with relatively minor charges, it's kind of like a second chance.
              In NY it's called (A.C.D. adjudicated contemplating dismissal.) same thing, if person stays out of trouble in a year then charges dismissed
              live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

              Comment


              • #8
                I know of a small city in north central Iowa who hired a guy as their police chief(with no experience whatsoever in LE), just to find out a few months later the guy was a convicted child molester in another state!

                For other reasons, I think they deserved each other.
                Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

                Comment


                • #9
                  As is the usual case we don't have the full story. So we can't determine if the guy was wrongfully accused just one time in his life or what.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sob153
                    In NY it's called (A.C.D. adjudicated contemplating dismissal.) same thing, if person stays out of trouble in a year then charges dismissed
                    In Maryland that is called a STET docket

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bodie
                      As is the usual case we don't have the full story. So we can't determine if the guy was wrongfully accused just one time in his life or what.

                      Agreed, In my buddies case he explained it as a prank gone wrong. It was his first offense and the judge was lenient so he got continued without a finding. I assumed since everyone said you had to be a saint in order to become a cop he would be excluded. He was over 18 at the time of the incident.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DMS 525
                        I know of a small city in north central Iowa who hired a guy as their police chief(with no experience whatsoever in LE), just to find out a few months later the guy was a convicted child molester in another state!

                        For other reasons, I think they deserved each other.


                        That one is totally bizarre. Must be a very desperate small city. Why didn't they just hire from within?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by IloveAmerica
                          I assumed since everyone said you had to be a saint in order to become a cop he would be excluded. He was over 18 at the time of the incident.
                          In California, state law specifically prohibits an employer from disciplining, firing or refusing to hire someone based solely on an arrest that did not result in a conviction. I suspect that may be the case in your state as well.
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by IloveAmerica
                            That one is totally bizarre. Must be a very desperate small city. Why didn't they just hire from within?

                            I'm pretty sure it was a stick-in-the-butt city council who wanted a puppet on a string for a police chief.

                            I applied for the position, but they turned me down, saying I didn't have the experience they needed(although they said in the ad no experience was necessary).

                            Sad when a position of such importance is hired by a bunch of glory hunting small town politicians who don't know their *** from a hole in the ground.
                            Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I went to the academy with a guy who was smoked out all the time and he got hired. Dont ask me how and to this day he is still on the job.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 11109 users online. 484 members and 10625 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X