300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime Scene Tech

Does anyone know of a job forum for Crime Scene Techs/Investigators? I have been searching and searching and I can't find where these jobs might be listed. I have checked all the local PD city HR departments but I can't find any.

On most PDs, crime scene guys are cops/detectives. You'd need to become a cop and then after X number of years you can put in for a detective slot. Not the case everywhere but most places I've seen are like this.
    Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

We have a forensics unit who are all sworn officers except two people and they don't work as forensic/CS techs.

In order to get on you get hired for patrol, work until you are off probation, don't be an idiot, apply when an opening is available, interview, probably get the job. It is a secondary assignment so you still work full time patrol and respond to process scenes or get called out to work them.

We have two sworn who are full time forensics as well, a detective and a sergeant.

There are several different levels of tech as well. Depending on the training and experience that you have depends on what level you are. The senior techs get sent through the state Forensic school.

Don't happen to know of any forums out there for forensic guys though.

-web
      "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by dbsmith17
        Does anyone know of a job forum for Crime Scene Techs/Investigators? I have been searching and searching and I can't find where these jobs might be listed. I have checked all the local PD city HR departments but I can't find any.
        I am an Evidence and Crime Scene Tech. I started as an Evidence Tech and was eventually put through Crime Scene School at our state's Criminal Justice Training Commission. I was then given a limited commission and was sworn in by our Sheriff. I also am frequently sent away to Forensic classes to keep up on the constantly changing techniques of the job. I work in the Investigations Division of our office and am dispatched just like a Detective and am expected to follow the same policies and procedures that they do. I wear a uniform, have a badge, have a police car, can write a citation, process a scene alone, talk to victims and witnesses, testify in court, etc, etc, etc. The only thing that I dont have is a gun and I do not interview suspects. I do however collect evidence off them if needed. I have been to several major crimes classes and am normally the only one there that has not started out as a road officer. I was put through an FTO program after the academy as well before I was paired with a Detective and eventually earned the respect to be able to work on my own. I think that as crime rates go up you will see positions such as mine more and more. Alot of big departments are realizing that it is beneficial to have a CSI team that simply processes the scene and a seperate Investigative team (Detectives) that pursue the suspects. A Divide and Conquer situation.

As for the question on a board dedicated to CSI's, I have yet to locate one. I have only found those dedicated to the tv show, which is so far off from what we do that I dont even bother reading them.

I have found boards such as this the most closely related to what I do. Although I am only partially commissioned, I was sworn to uphold the laws of my county and work side by side with the deputies and detectives in my department and relate closely to alot of the topics here.

I would be happy to help you out with trying to find other resources if you would like. You can Private Message or email me.
        ~*~ Amity ~*~

Comment

I see you are from California. LAPD has civilian crime scene positions. Santa Monica PD and Huntington Beach PD used to have them as well. (Don't know if they still do.) The California Department of Juistice has criminalist positions but they primarily work inside rather than as field personnel.

You will find civilian positions mainly with the larger agencies. They may also be called Public Service Officers, Community Service Officers, Evidence Technician, Fingerprint Tech, etc.

Good luck.
          Last edited by L-1; 05-12-2005, 06:11 PM.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

My agency, the Ventura County Sheriff's Dept. (Ca.) has civilian crime scene and evidence techs. They're called Sheriff's Service Technicians. They also act as jailers, and fill jobs that you don't need a deputy sheriff for.
            Last edited by Wyatt Earp; 05-13-2005, 12:09 AM.
            "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5684 users online. 353 members and 5331 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X