300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtime question

I know this answer is going to surely vary from place to place but....

Is overtime readily available to those that desire it?? Whether it is by picking up another shift/day or even by adding extra hours to your day.

I am finding it very hard to get a straight answer from most departments I have asked.

Is it possible that the way most who seek this just volunteer for the night shift or Sundays/Holidays?
    Leave Space Empty

Originally posted by GPOC
    I know this answer is going to surely vary from place to place but....

Is overtime readily available to those that desire it?? Whether it is by picking up another shift/day or even by adding extra hours to your day.

I am finding it very hard to get a straight answer from most departments I have asked.

Is it possible that the way most who seek this just volunteer for the night shift or Sundays/Holidays?
    Due to budget cuts most agencies shy away from OT. even if an officer makes an arrest near the end of his shift, it will be assigned to someone on the next tour of duty to aviod OT. you will get different answers from different depts. My other agency I worked a **** load of OT almost 2x my regular salary
    live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

Overtime...sigh...that something that comes and goes. I've had years where no one could get a day off and other where i did get any for six months. That is the one thing that will always vary though out you career.
      retired, NOT retarded

Comment

There is a lot of overtime available with my deptartment.

Most of it is Seat Belt Enforcement & OWI Grants which are paid for by the state and fed.

Comment

Just about anything beyond our base 40 hrs around here is taken in Comptime. Extra jobs are more than plentiful though. While it doesn't pay the bills, comptime is great for taking that long vaction you want. The extra jobs pay better than dept. overtime anyway. The only OT exception is court. We can get paid OT for court appearances. Sucks for the dayshift guys.

Comment

Our officers average around $15,808 per year in OT.
            Last edited by L-1; 05-10-2005, 11:12 PM.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

No OT down here... Its all Comp-Time... You want more money, its all in the x-tra jobs...

Ask Delta or Brick what the boys make for OT up in Boston... Ive heard storys of some State Troopers clearing 6 figures by working details, and I think 6 or 8 troopers even cleared 200g in 2004... But I could be wrong... (my cousin goes to school up there, so I hear all the storys)

Comment

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
                Ask Delta or Brick what the boys make for OT up in Boston... Ive heard storys of some State Troopers clearing 6 figures by working details, and I think 6 or 8 troopers even cleared 200g in 2004... But I could be wrong... (my cousin goes to school up there, so I hear all the storys)
                Details and overtime are two different animals. Overtime is paid by the city (or state, or town, depending on the agency), while details are paid by the vendor. In other words, it's a city ordinance where I work that any bar/nightclub that serves alcohol and has dancing, must hire an off-duty police officer on detail. The nightclub pays the city (which charges a 10% fee), who then pays the officer. Detail pay does not get counted towards your pension contributions, overtime does.

It's up to each PD to set their detail rates. Right now, my PD charges $35 per hour for an "inside" detail (bank, supermarket, etc.), and $38 per hour for road construction and anything involving alcohol.

Because my PD figures the Quinn Bill (education incentive) into the overtime calculations, you can clean-up if you have a degree. I'm at top-step, with night differential and a Master's degree, so my current OT rate is a little less than $45 per hour.

The stories your cousin tells are somewhat true. It's not that uncommon for patrolmen on my PD to break $100K, but what the papers don't tell you is how many hours they work.
                Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Thats just crazy Delta... But I guess you have to take into consideration the cost of living as well... But thats still a $hit load of cash... Id imagine the hours to be ostonishing...

Comment

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
                    Thats just crazy Delta... But I guess you have to take into consideration the cost of living as well... But thats still a $hit load of cash... Id imagine the hours to be ostonishing...
                    The cost of living, especially housing, is insane around here. I live in a very middle-class neighborhood, and the house three doors down from me recently sold for $500,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                      The cost of living, especially housing, is insane around here. I live in a very middle-class neighborhood, and the house three doors down from me recently sold for $500,000.

4 bedroom/3 bath, 2 car garage, full finished basement, 1/2 acre back yard, nice neighboorhood,20 minutes west of downtown. $148,500 "Cost-of-Living"

Comment

The differences in home values across the country is astonishing. My residency is in Oregon and we get Kalifornians flocking up to Oregon because you can buy two houses in Oregon for what you'd pay for one in Kalifornia.

Sidenote: All native Oregonians f***ing hate Kalifornians. That is, the ones that move up here. Fmr. Governor McCall said of the Kalifornians, "You can visit, but don't stay."
                        Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                        Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

I just want to clarify...comptime is paid time off, correct?
                          Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                            I just want to clarify...comptime is paid time off, correct?
                            Yes. Instead of overtime, you get time off, like getting extra vacation days.

Comment

I think it really depends on your agency and size of teh agency..if it s bigger agency they may not have officers work OT to cover shifts..while the smaller agencies need the bodies so you can pick up ot....On the other hand if you get an arrest here in MN it is generally the practice that its your bust...you might be able to finish the paper work your next shift though depending. Alot of agencies like Transit Police and Airport Police here in MN have tons and tons of OT by federal grant. My agency has OT for court and to cover sick/days off.

Although I do beilve that in most MN agencies include details in your retirement if the detail is paid to the city and then to you...which is VERY nice...
                              Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5759 users online. 357 members and 5402 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X