Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression

Can anyone tell me ....
    If you have been diagnosed with depression and now you have a clean bill of health, Does that still disqualify you from a career in Law Enforcement?
    Specifically in Michigan...
    Thank you

I didn't have any problems with it because I got it under control years ago. The department didn't seem to have a problem with it because of that.

Comment

I'll be honest....it certainly won't work in your favor, but if you've been cleared by your physician, I don't see it as a huge negative either.
      Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate your reply!

Comment

Originally posted by Alley Cat
          Can anyone tell me ....
          If you have been diagnosed with depression and now you have a clean bill of health, Does that still disqualify you from a career in Law Enforcement?
          Thank you
          Don't think they could, that would be an ADA thing. Lawsuits would start flyin.

Comment

Originally posted by Brav989
            Don't think they could, that would be an ADA thing. Lawsuits would start flyin.
            No, the ADA doesn't apply to depression in Law Enforcement. It's been clearly shown that depression is exacerbated by a Law Enforcement carreer and cops who have it are prone to suicide.

They can do that.

Comment

Yes but if the person is on medication and is having zero problems with it, why would it matter?

Comment

Anyone? Is it actually a disqualifier to be on anti depressant type medication?

Comment

Originally posted by Brav989
                  Anyone? Is it actually a disqualifier to be on anti depressant type medication?
                  Anytime you're carrying a loaded gun, and the authority to use that gun if your occupation requires it, odds are you can't be on anti-depressants or other mind altering meds.

It is a disqualifier for entry into the Armed Forces, so policing is probably right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Alley Cat
                    Can anyone tell me ....
                    Thank you
                    depends on a lot of factors. How long ago was this, where you on any meds, are you still on meds, did you every live at a facility (ie Pine Rest) due to the depression.

If it was just a minor case of the blues, you took some pills and feel OK now, then I don't see it being an automatic DQ. But, it certinaly is not to your advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by JHoek
                      depends on a lot of factors. How long ago was this, where you on any meds, are you still on meds, did you every live at a facility (ie Pine Rest) due to the depression.

If it was just a minor case of the blues, you took some pills and feel OK now, then I don't see it being an automatic DQ. But, it certinaly is not to your advantage.
                      Thank you for all the replies!
                      JHOEK, it was over a year ago, I plan on starting the academy this coming fall. I was on antidepressants, but been off them over a year now. I didn't have to live at a facility. The depression was brought on by overworking,(lousy management and working 7 days, 10 to 15 hour days for months at a time). Quite the job and been fine since.

Comment

I've been off and on anti depressants for much of my career. I've said right on my yearly physicals that I've been having problems with depression and am taking meds for it. Never heard a peep from the admin over it.

Comment

Originally posted by connor
                          I've been off and on anti depressants for much of my career. I've said right on my yearly physicals that I've been having problems with depression and am taking meds for it. Never heard a peep from the admin over it.
                          At least you're not hitting the bottle (to self medicate) like a few cops I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Runs w/scissors
                            At least you're not hitting the bottle (to self medicate) like a few cops I've seen.

I agree with you, Runs w/scissors!

Comment

Originally posted by Runs w/scissors
                              The only thing hitting the bottle ever got me was some scars on my hand. Since then I tend to tip it and drink whats inside. (I'm actually being literal here - I really did hit a bottle once and have two neat little scars on my hand from it).

But to the point, I've tried the self medication route too. The alcohol use never got so bad that it hurt me negatively beyond gaining some weight.

The other thing is that the problems I've had are not job related. My brain is hard wired to always have a chemical imbalance. Its something I've struggled with since my teens.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9694 users online. 410 members and 9284 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X