300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-NRA,anti-BMW, or just bored?

I can't figure out this one. I was at a standstill in Atlanta traffic in BMW convertible and I noticed 2 Atlanta PD officers in a car behind me. They sat behind me forever, looking at my plate, and then flashed their lights.

The officer said my license plate frame was covering my registration tag (which it was) and promptly me wrote me a ticket for "tag obstruction". I couldn't believe it. Half the vehicles in GA have a license plate frame covering their tag and county and I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for "tag obstruction" in GA. I thought they were just going to give me a warning.

The interesting part is I'm an NRA member and I had an NRA member frame. And the cop never even asked me if I had a loaded gun in the vehicle (I always have one in the glove compartment).

Were the cops bored (like me) waiting in rush hour traffic, was it the NRA frame that bothered them, my BMW, or am I just dreaming? By the way, I pleaded guilty in court and the judge suspened it. In and out in 2 seconds. What a waste of my time.

Thanks for reading this.
    Jason

Wow, that sucks royally. Did you give serious attitude to him or something? I can't speak for them, but most officers are supportive of the NRA.
    Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta_boy
      I can't figure out this one. I was at a standstill in Atlanta traffic in BMW convertible and I noticed 2 Atlanta PD officers in a car behind me. They sat behind me forever, looking at my plate, and then flashed their lights.

The officer said my license plate frame was covering my registration tag (which it was) and promptly me wrote me a ticket for "tag obstruction". I couldn't believe it. Half the vehicles in GA have a license plate frame covering their tag and county and I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for "tag obstruction" in GA. I thought they were just going to give me a warning.

The interesting part is I'm an NRA member and I had an NRA member frame. And the cop never even asked me if I had a loaded gun in the vehicle (I always have one in the glove compartment).

Were the cops bored (like me) waiting in rush hour traffic, was it the NRA frame that bothered them, my BMW, or am I just dreaming? By the way, I pleaded guilty in court and the judge suspened it. In and out in 2 seconds. What a waste of my time.

Thanks for reading this.
      Jason
      I don't know why the NRA sticker would influence them one way or another.
      Retired

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta_boy

Thanks for reading this.
        Jason
        It is highly unlikely that you found an anti-NRA or anti-2nd amendment cop in Georgia. I don't recall ever meeting one in my six+ years in this job. If you were somewhere in California, Illinois, or New York it might be a different story.

Perhaps it was something you said or did that got you the citation. The officer may have felt you were not going to remove the tag cover and thus wrote you a citation.

None of us were there so none of us can guess.
        Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Originally posted by retired
          I don't know why the NRA sticker would influence them one way or another.
          Especially in Georgia no less! The only time I give out tickets for license plate frames is when I'm doing it as a break for a more serious violation.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the tic bro... that sucks ***! If I was a bettin man, id put money on the Ofc. just being bored, or havin a bad day, and wanted to issue an easy tic.

But Im not on the job yet, so I cant really offer any useful input. Sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
              If you were somewhere in California, Illinois, or New York it might be a different story.

Believe it or not, the majority of us in Illinois are not anti NRA, infact a load of us (that I know) are members.

As far as the ticket, that sux. The only time I ever wrote one similar to that I was at the receiving end of some serious attitude. I wrote for tinted license plate cover.
              "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

Maybe he thought NRA meant "NO Rookies Allowed"

Comment

You have to realize that work habits of officers vary, as do workers in other jobs. I work with a few that write an extremely high number of tickets, because they don't know how to do anything else.
                  The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

thanks...

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't give any attitude and the officer was very professional. I guess it was just one of those things...

He did ask me if I was military after he saw my USAA insurance card. I'm not, but my family has always used USAA - my Dad is a Vietnam Vet.

Thanks again! Great forum!

Jason

Comment

Pure speculation, but the officer may have needed another "citizen contact" to fill out his day.
                      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                      John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4112 users online. 251 members and 3861 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X