300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part-Time Academy Question

Ok so here's the deal, I have always planned on attending the local police academy in July of 2006, that is when my Associates will be wrapped up. However, lately I have heard about the part time academy which begins in January of 2006 and runs a full year instead of six months. The normal one is Monday-Friday 8 am-5:30 pm and the part time is Tuesday and Thursday nights 6 pm -10 pm and all day Saturdays. This would greatly beneft my schedule and also my finances since it would allow me to work part time also. Being that I am not interested in applying for a trainee position with local agencies because I am not interested in working where I live. Once I graduate the academy I plan to move back down to San Diego county and apply at agencies located down there. My question is that will attending a part time academy make me look bad. I know that the full time academy students completely hate the part time guys because they complain that the part time training is better, however, I am interested in the certificate itself, not what the guys in the academy think of me as a person. So all that matters to me is looking just as good in the hiring process with an associates degree, a two year long internship at my local PD, and a part time academy certificate. Will this happen or will I be put below full timers?

I can't speak for Cali, but here in PA I don't see any real difference in hiring preferences between F/T academy students and P/T academy students.

The only issue with the two is that the F/T students tend to be young kids who are still supported by mommy and daddy. This is certainly not always the truth, but the student who goes F/T and also holds a job, supports a family, etc is rare.

The P/T class, which I attended, was populated more by people like me - full time jobs, family to support, responsibilities, etc.

Again, I don't think it will make much, if any, difference to the departments you plan on applying to.
    http://www.municipaldesigns.com - Web solutions for municipal government, police, fire, and EMS agencies.

Comment

I completely agree. Where as I am not supporting a family or any of those responsiblities, I am financially hurting. I work for everything I have as an intern which is about 24 hours a week, and also attend school full time. Therefore it is much easier for me to be able to work while attending the academy, since I will have to drive 30 miles to and from everyday to get to it, and gas isn't free haha. I have noticed also that a lot of the full time kids who are not trainees hired by agencies are trust fund kids supported fully by there parents, that'd be very helpful and all but unfortunately I'm not in that situation, haha. Thanks for the insight, if anybody else has an opinion I'd be glad to here it...

Comment

academy

I see it like this: The full time academy lasts about 6 months, you graduate and get a certificate. The part time lasts a year, you graduate and you get a certificate. The full time certificate has the same writing as the part time. As with any job in law enfct, family is always first.So while attending part time, your still able to work and support your family....which is my priority.Do what is best for situation and it'll work out for the better. No recruit should be looking down another recruit because of how there academy is run, you all have the same objective in mind and should be working together to achieve that objective. Good luck, im confident you'll make the right decision.

Comment

makes no difference. i know of many extended academy graduates who have been hired before graduation and after....
          ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
          -- John Wayne

Comment

I went to an extended academy myself, Fullerton Police Academy, and it was great. When I interview I tell them that I was working full time, sometimes overtime and have a wife and 2.5 yo daughter at home all while I was going to the academy and that I graduated very high in the class while doing so. It does look good. I made a mirror web site of our class web site with all our notes in case you were interested. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/ Good luck. What academy are you thinking of going to. I know Escondido recruited in our class.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Thanks guys this has helped me feel a lot better about attending the part time academy. I plan on attending Allan Hancock College's Police Academy since its only 30 miles north of where I currently live and is relatively cheap compared to other academies I have seen (roughly $3000). Afterwards I plan to move back to north county San Diego where I used to live (Carlsbad to be exact) and apply at San Diego PD, Oceanside PD, Carlsbad PD, and possibly a few others. I really would like to work for San Diego PD because working for a large department appeals to me much more than a smaller one. Plus a long time down the career ladder I would like to attempt to work some kind of gang unit since that has also always appealed to me. However as we all know that will come after years in patrol learning the streets, haha, thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by jfoote85
                Thanks guys this has helped me feel a lot better about attending the part time academy. I plan on attending Allan Hancock College's Police Academy since its only 30 miles north of where I currently live and is relatively cheap compared to other academies I have seen (roughly $3000). Afterwards I plan to move back to north county San Diego where I used to live (Carlsbad to be exact) and apply at San Diego PD, Oceanside PD, Carlsbad PD, and possibly a few others. I really would like to work for San Diego PD because working for a large department appeals to me much more than a smaller one. Plus a long time down the career ladder I would like to attempt to work some kind of gang unit since that has also always appealed to me. However as we all know that will come after years in patrol learning the streets, haha, thanks again.
                Really can't say, I've done both................................

I went through a CA part-time program. Our class was the more mature of the two classes; yet most of the full-timers had jobs; but they acted like a college frat. We had three when we started that were with departments. One guy was moving from the jail to patrol, the other two were reserves. One was staying reserve (he made more money at his regular job) and the other one got hired not long after we graduated. We had four others that got hired either during or right after. I personally think a part-time academy while working (a few of us, including the deputy that was moving from the jail to patrol) were putting in forty hours plus at our jobs, then pulling 24 a weekend for school.

But just like anywhere else, there are some that are great people and others that need a fist through their chests.................
                "I will not use my patrol car as a desert prerunner unless in pursuit."

Comment

Just know that the number they give you for cost is nowhere near what you are really going to spend. You'll have dues, uniforms, gear, etc, etc, etc. It really ads up.

[QUOTE=jfoote85] I plan on attending Allan Hancock College's Police Academy since its only 30 miles north of where I currently live and is relatively cheap compared to other academies I have seen (roughly $3000).
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I graduated from the part time academy that your planning on going to and a good percentage of our class got pick up before and after the graduation.

Comment

I attended a part-time academy that met the same standards as any full-time academy in our state. The only difference was that, rather than going to class 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 13 weeks, I went to class 4 hours a night, 2 nights a week (with some Saturdays and Sundays) for a full year.

I've never known anyone to look down on someone who went to the part-time academy. I mean, we all learned the same stuff and took the same tests for crying out loud. If you ask me, I feel departments rate part-time academy graduates a little higher than the FT academy folk. The fact that someone would be willing to work a full-time job (like most of my classmates) and substantially reduce their free time and time with family and friends to become a cop -- that's got to say something about the person's dedication, right?

Of course, every class has some bozos -- full-time or part-time -- and our class was no different.

The only time I would see this PT vs. FT academy as somewhat valid is if you're talking about those states where there's different (less) training for someone looking to become a PT or reserve officer. Naturally there are going to be different expectations for people that receive less training. Not to take anything away from those that do this -- there's a part for them in LE as well.
                      Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

[QUOTE=pkagel]Just know that the number they give you for cost is nowhere near what you are really going to spend. You'll have dues, uniforms, gear, etc, etc, etc. It really ads up.

Originally posted by jfoote85
                        I plan on attending Allan Hancock College's Police Academy since its only 30 miles north of where I currently live and is relatively cheap compared to other academies I have seen (roughly $3000).
                        That's true. My academy out there, I believe they said we'd spend about $2500, new uniforms, new books and ammo and gun. I already had the gun, but the books used for about 25% of what they were going for new at the time, and first set of uniforms were used also. I ended up spending about $3000 the whole time.

I can tell you it's a lot better going through when you are already hired, you can use all that money for partying.
                        "I will not use my patrol car as a desert prerunner unless in pursuit."

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4763 users online. 191 members and 4572 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                        X