Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Couple of Questions For Police Officers

I would appreciate police officers input regarding the following questions:

1. When you first pursued a job as a police officer how many jobs did you apply to before you were eventually hired?

2. Was there ever a point where you became discouraged?

Thank you.

Personally, I was in the process with 2 departments and just about to start with a third when I got my letter to my first choice. I was fortunate, I got hired in just under a year. I know many people who have waited years to get on a department.

1) If your willing or able to move, put in for departments in locations you wouldn't mind working for. A lot of the "waiting time" depends on how big of department, how often they hire and what their process consists of.

2) Not sure how old you are but if your still in your early 20's, take it as it comes and don't get too bummed. If your doing well on the tests and physical tests just keep plugging away. Of course the older you are and more "respopnsibility" you have (wife, kids,etc) it gets a bit more difficult.

Good luck!

Comment

I applied to probably 20 different agencies before I got hired. It took alot of hard work before I got hired. When I finally got the job I really appreciated it. You will find people who get the job easy dont appreciate the job. Its real competitive to get into law enforcement. If you are a white male it can be extremely difficult to get a job in law enforcement. You have to accept the fact they are looking to hire a certain number of women and minorities.

When I got dissapointed I worked out or ran. Drinking a beer or two helps too..... You sure can run well when you are frusterated. I always had faith in myself because I have a great background, values, and I am in good physical shape. I would just get nervous in the interview.

It may take a few years to get hired. Keep after it and have faith in yourself.

When you go to the police testing try to meet some of the other canditates. You can make friends with them, compare notes, share a beer together. You already have something in common. This is an OUTSTANDING idea.

Good luck. If you have any questions ask.

Comment

1 4 or 5
        2. After about 5 yrs on the job

Comment

I only applied to one department, the rest sought me out.
          Retired

Comment

I applied to three (3) at the same time, and a year after I took the application exam, my first choice hired me.

There were fifty position to be filled, I was number 150 on the exam list after the test. It took them one year to weed out one hundred and get to me. I filled the 50th position.

Did I get discouraged of course you would expect to hear sooner but after seeing how the process works, I fully understand why it took so long.

By the way I'm completeing 23yearsthis July.

Be patient.

Comment

1. Four

2. Many times, especially when they sent the rejection letters.

But you must keep on plugging, and don't give up. Be flexible and willing to relocate if this is truly a career you wish to pursue. That dream job of yours may lie in another City, County, or even State.

Comment

Originally posted by LawEnfWB
                I would appreciate police officers input regarding the following questions:

1. When you first pursued a job as a police officer how many jobs did you apply to before you were eventually hired?

2. Was there ever a point where you became discouraged?

Thank you.

3.....The first two turned me down...said I didn't have what they were looking for..."Smaller Departments anyway"...Third happen to be the largest in the state..I got really lucky..Just keep trying...
                Terrorist: "You're a policeman, even policeman have rules". John Mclane: "Yeah, that's what my captain keeps telling me!"

Comment

I applied for 33 departments before I got hired, and I eventually gave up. Then I heard about a good officer position, and applied one more time. That's where I'm working now.

Comment

I filled out around 15 applications...had Four interviews...got one job.

I was getting very discouraged because my certification only lasts one year out of the academy.

I got sworn in ONE DAY prior to my certification expiring

Comment

When I decided that being a cop is what I wanted and needed to be I tested all over the country. I was young enought o move and not realizing how much you will need family later in life, I went to Seattle, King County, WASH. Columbus, and of course NYPD, and before they nerged, NYHPD and NYTPD. Also went to Pittsburgh who eventually called me first. Right before graduating Pittts. academy then Columbus and NYPD called me. Well, the city of Pitts wasnt that bda off back in 95 so I {and wifey} decided to stay. NYPD didnt make enough $$ back then and even now still dont. After doing a few years in Pittsburgh I then sought out a few more places, Baltimore city {nah, too much crap there{ and most recently Fairfax Virginina {Excellent palce but WAAAAAYYYYY to freakin expensive, 350,000 for a starter house } SO i fouind a nice local suburban place and eventually got hired. I did over 10 yrs in the city and now got a hell of alot more time to go but my stress level is WAAAAY down. I kinda wish i did take the NYPD job to be close to my family but cant second guess a major life decision. My new place is great so far. Already moced to the 'burbs.. Kinda like Wisteria lane out here , except I cant find the hot mommas yet
                      I got nothing for now

Comment

I "applied" to about 50 departments right out of the academy. For such small departments, "applying" meant going out and handing in a resume and being told, "We'll keep it on file, but we're not hiring right now".

I tested with one department, and didn't make it past the interview. The 2nd department that interviewed me offered me a P/T position. Six months out of the academy. About 3 months later, I got a call from my current department. 3 months after that, I started working here.

All in all, I was pretty lucky too. One of the officers that I work with was out of the academy almost 4 years before he got hired for his first LE position. Then again, I don't think he was nearly as proactive as me.

I've been getting pretty discouraged lately. Over the years, I have applied to several larger departments around my area, but always got the "Thanks but no thanks" letter for one reason or another. About a year ago my wife and I decided to look at Florida for several reasons. I'm currently in the process (or was in the process, I guess) with a department in northern Florida, but I seem to keep hitting roadblocks. Most recently I was medically DQ'd after the medical exam due to my vision (20/40 in my left eye) and diabetes (previously undiagnosed). I'm trying to view it more as a temporary obstacle, as it seems that the doc in Florida is willing to reverse his decision since I have since been diagnosed and treated for both.

It's hard to not become discouraged after being essentially rejected a few times, but you have to keep at it. When one department says you're not what they are looking for, the next department will love you.
                        http://www.municipaldesigns.com - Web solutions for municipal government, police, fire, and EMS agencies.

Comment

Thank you for the responses and encouragement.

It
                          Last edited by LawEnfWB; 04-23-2005, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo8

Most recently I was medically DQ'd after the medical exam due to my vision (20/40 in my left eye)
                            can't you just get lasik eye surgery to get rid of that problem?

Comment

I actually took only FD test. then took the NYPD test back in 1984 with several friends for the hell of it. I got really into it during the hiring process and ended up being hired by Transit (NYC transit PD). found a real love for the job
                              retired, NOT retarded

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2390 users online. 106 members and 2284 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X