300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Sheffield assault on fan

For those of you who don't watch baseball, during today's Red Sox vs. yankees game, yankees right fielder gary sheffield hit a fan. At the time he was chasing a ball that was rolling along the right field wall, as sheffield reached for the ball, a fan also reached over the wall for the ball and inadvertantly swiped sheffield across the forehead. Sheffield then picked up the ball, and with ball in hand punched the fan who reached for the ball. As he struck the fan, he also struck a female fan who was knocked down by the blow. The fan was kicked out of the stadium, sheffield however has not been arrested as far as I know. I have two questions, first of all does what sheffield did constitute assault? Second, would you LEO's arrest him for it?

sheffield could argue he thought he was under attack. in any event, since neither the fan nor sheffield sustained any major injuries, any charges would probably constitute a misdemeanor. i wouldnt make an arrest on the spot. id write a report and if either the fan or sheffield wanted to press charges against each other, they can bring a copy of the report to the state attorneys office. if the state attorney thinks he has enough to file charges, he'll do the arresting.
    "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
    William Shatner

Comment

ESPN.com is reporting that the fan hit Sheffield first, swinging a "short uppercut" as Sheffield was making the play. I hate the Yankees almost as much as a Boston fan, but if I locked anybody up, it would be the fan based on that story.
      http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2037710

Comment

He is a Yankee he should be charged with assault and fined....I despise all that is the New York Yankees . He is a little punk and this is not the first time he has thrown a little sissy fit. Have I mentioned I hate the Yankees.
        Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
          ESPN.com is reporting that the fan hit Sheffield first, swinging a "short uppercut" as Sheffield was making the play. I hate the Yankees almost as much as a Boston fan, but if I locked anybody up, it would be the fan based on that story.
          http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2037710
          Did you see the replay? The fan's actions didn't look intentional to me, although I am biased.

Sheffield is now claiming that he never swung at the fan (the tape shows that he did) and yankees manager joe torre has said that "people like that shouldnt be allowed to walk the streets" referring to the fan. Seems to me that personal responsibility went out the window on this one. Although I wouldn't expect any different from the yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by 45acp
            Did you see the replay? The fan's actions didn't look intentional to me, although I am biased.

Sheffield is now claiming that he never swung at the fan (the tape shows that he did) and yankees manager joe torre has said that "people like that shouldnt be allowed to walk the streets" referring to the fan. Seems to me that personal responsibility went out the window on this one. Although I wouldn't expect any different from the yankees.
            No, I'm at work....just read the story online when I saw your post. All they have is a still photo, and you can't really tell anything.

Comment

The replay looked like neither of them even made contact. The fan began to reach, then realized he should get the hell out of the way. He did, but a split second too late, then Sheffied did sort of a half-swing, half-push that wiffed. Who gives a sh&t in my opinion, but we will be hearing about it for days. Fenway park is asking for it with those 2 ft. high fences in right. The best part was the look on the face of that woman sitting to the right of the man in the stands who got her drink/food spilled. Classic.

Criminal charges? Arrests? Give me a break.
              Last edited by Joebob; 04-14-2005, 08:44 PM.

Comment

The fan will sue, and Sheffield will give him $5000 or so to go away. End of story.
                Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Joebob
                  The replay looked like neither of them even made contact. The fan began to reach, then realized he should get the hell out of the way. He did, but a split second too late, then Sheffied did sort of a half-swing, half-push that wiffed. Who gives a sh&t in my opinion, but we will be hearing about it for days. Fenway park is asking for it with those 2 ft. high fences in right. The best part was the look on the face of that woman sitting to the right of the man in the stands who got her drink/food spilled. Classic.

Criminal charges? Arrests? Give me a break.
                  Wiffed? No contact? What replay did you see? Don't get me wrong, I don't think that anyone really got hurt in the incident. My problem isn't as much with the result of sheffield hitting the fan, its the fact that he did it in the first place. It was absolutly rediculous for him to attack a fan for being in his way. I'm not defending the fan, he shouldn't have been reaching over the wall. But sheffield was frustrated because the yankees were losing, and decided to take that frustration out on some stupid fan. You would think that someone who is paid millions of dollars every year to play a game would be able to control himself in situations like this one.
                  Last edited by 45acp; 04-14-2005, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Amen 45acp
                    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Comment

Wiffed? No contact? What replay did you see? Don't get me wrong, I don't think that anyone really got hurt in the incident. My problem isn't as much with the result of sheffield hitting the fan, its the fact that he did it in the first place. It was absolutly rediculous for him to attack a fan for being in his way. I'm not defending the fan, he shouldn't have been reaching over the wall. But sheffield was frustrated because the yankees were losing, and decided to take that frustration out on some stupid fan. You would think that someone who is paid millions of dollars every year to play a game would be able to control himself in situations like this one.
                      I saw the Sportscenter replay. I really didn't think Sheffield made contact with the guy. In my opinion, anyone who interferes with live play derserves whatever they get. Yes, Sheff was probably frustrated, but I think he reacts the same way if the Yanks are winning. He thought he was punched by a fan. I thought he showed restraint by not going Ron Artest on the fan. I go back to my earlier point about the problem created by that short right field fence in Fenway. Fans should not be able to enter the field of play, and it is impossible for them not to crowd the wall and reach for balls that come their way. For the record, I'm from Texas, and hate both the Red Sox and the Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by Joebob
                        I saw the Sportscenter replay. I really didn't think Sheffield made contact with the guy. In my opinion, anyone who interferes with live play derserves whatever they get. Yes, Sheff was probably frustrated, but I think he reacts the same way if the Yanks are winning. He thought he was punched by a fan. I thought he showed restraint by not going Ron Artest on the fan. I go back to my earlier point about the problem created by that short right field fence in Fenway. Fans should not be able to enter the field of play, and it is impossible for them not to crowd the wall and reach for balls that come their way. For the record, I'm from Texas, and hate both the Red Sox and the Yankees.
                        Yeah getting attacked by a juicer is definatly what that guy deserved for reaching his hand over the wall. And only throwing one punch shows excellent restraint... for someone on steroids.

Comment

In my opinion, anyone who interferes with live play derserves whatever they get.
                          Sorry, I don't buy that. If it is an accident, sure but because a fan is hanging over the wall doesn't give some overpaid athlete carte blanche to start throwing punches.

There are rules in baseball and even laws to govern fan interference. That is enough.
                          Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Yes, I agree that Sheff is a steroid pumping hothead, but I still believe he thought that the fan was taking a swing at him. And for that, I think his reaction was justified.
                            No, reaching over the wall doesn't warrant getting punches thrown at you, but taking a swing at the player does. I may be wrong, but thats just how I feel. Can we get some non sox/yankee fans to chime in on this.

Comment

For those of you who don't watch baseball, during today's Red Sox vs. yankees game, yankees right fielder gary sheffield hit a fan. At the time he was chasing a ball that was rolling along the right field wall, as sheffield reached for the ball, a fan also reached over the wall for the ball and inadvertantly swiped sheffield across the forehead. Sheffield then picked up the ball, and with ball in hand punched the fan who reached for the ball. As he struck the fan, he also struck a female fan who was knocked down by the blow. The fan was kicked out of the stadium, sheffield however has not been arrested as far as I know. I have two questions, first of all does what sheffield did constitute assault? Second, would you LEO's arrest him for it?
                              Lesson learned? Don't feed the animals!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2897 users online. 216 members and 2681 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X