300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Blue Line Stickers

I understand these are in memory of fallen officers. Is it illegal to display this sticker if your are not a police officer?

Originally posted by DavidP71
    I understand these are in memory of fallen officers. Is it illegal to display this sticker if your are not a police officer?
    The orginal intent was a way for cops to let other cops discreetly know who they are. However, it's the worst kept secret around, and is now mostly a way for insecure cops to let everyone know who they are, and a lame attempt for civilians to get out of tickets. I give them no credence whatsoever.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Still not widely known in many areas Delta. I have seen very very few of them in the South and they are invaribly on the vehicle of cops or retired cops. I have a very small one on my helmet and and small one on my vehicle.

Comment

I've seen more people who arent cops display this rather than cops. They put one on my patrol car.
        It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

NO Will they get you out of a ticket ? NO Are they of Any Value NO

Comment

They started out as pretty much "officers only" (in fact, I believe a company based down here came up with the idea, or at least marketing it), but now if you see one it's a likely to be on some cop's realtive's vehicle. Hardly anybody here uses them amymore because everybody knows what they mean, and some "urban outdoorsman" would likely bust your window to see if he can find a gun inside.
            Last edited by Groundhog; 04-13-2005, 01:57 PM. Reason: removed instructions for thieves

Comment

Wow.. looks like it's a very unpopular thing to do now huh?
              What if some non LE actually have them out of respect for maybe a family member that is in the field? And not looking to 'get out of tickets' or anything like that.
              Kinda like the 'my kids an honor student' type thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tk0727
                Wow.. looks like it's a very unpopular thing to do now huh?
                What if some non LE actually have them out of respect for maybe a family member that is in the field? And not looking to 'get out of tickets' or anything like that.
                Kinda like the 'my kids an honor student' type thing.
                I won't treat anybody unfairly who has them. I'll treat them just like anybody else. Same goes for people who have the "we support" stickers or the "FOP" stickers. It certainly wont work for you but it wont work against you either.
                It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitMPD
                  I won't treat anybody unfairly who has them. I'll treat them just like anybody else. Same goes for people who have the "we support" stickers or the "FOP" stickers. It certainly wont work for you but it wont work against you either.

just seemed like some of the responses looked more down on them than anything. I'd almost think that in a bigger city, it'd be a little dangerous to have one on your pov. because of the malice towards police.

Comment

Originally posted by tk0727
                    just seemed like some of the responses looked more down on them than anything. I'd almost think that in a bigger city, it'd be a little dangerous to have one on your pov. because of the malice towards police.
                    You're exactly right.........and, if you've also got any kind of sticker on your vehicle id'ing your dept. (or they already know), some a**hole will go to Internal and complain you cut them off in traffic or some such crap.

Comment

I have received the FOP stickers a few times but I never used them. I thought it would appear I was expecting a favor.
                      I love keeping secrets. It drives people crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeon
                        I have received the FOP stickers a few times but I never used them. I thought it would appear I was expecting a favor.
                        Yeah I have a couple that friends have given me, but I don't display them. They're just mine.

Comment

I took mine off my car the day I saw them on EBAY!

Great point to have them, when any kid with a lead foot can buy 1 off ebay for $1.00... They really hold the value they were intended for 5 years ago...

Comment

Seems like most officers in this area know the 'secret' meaning to that sticker. I have a small one on my personal car, which any cop worth his salt should notice. The hope is to tip them off that I'm an LEO before he approaches and we get into the 'wearing an off duty weapon' conversation. Just want to give him/her a heads up that I'm a 'friendly' before the print of my gun is seen.

Ref civilians putting such a sticker on their veh, if they get pulled over by me, I'll make it understood in no uncertain terms that I disapprove. "Sign here in the gray box at the bottom of the ticket" for whatever: speed, equip, reg, lic. It's a stupid way to think you'll get a break.

And word to the wise, we've had a couple guys in my beat try to impersonate an officer with scanners, special officer badges, and--of course--those stickers. The state's attorney didn't look to favorably on their display either. Just something else to think about when you consider buying them.

If you want to show your support for your local/state police, write a letter to your local representative or newspaper instead.

Comment

If memory serves me correctly (which it should seeing as how I just looked at my notes again), this actually started in Mexico. These were a way for the policia to identify each other and to know if the officer they were pulling over was armed (black/blue/black or black/blue [A]/black). Then, while on vacation, a couple of American officers noticed them and asked. They brought the idea back and someone got the idea to market it. However, when officers started using them, they became so popular that they became a trend. The armed sticker then became popular with CCW holders. So now everyone with a CCW has the armed sticker. Why? That's left up to the philosophers. But I would guess to "scare" anyone that wanted to "screw with me" (No, not me, I would NEVER put one of these on my car). Now the big thing, atleast around here, isn't so much the sticker as it is the front liscense plate.

Just my $.02
                              It's the ones you love that will kill you the quickest.

Official O.COM Man of Mystery.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4463 users online. 284 members and 4179 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X