Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Marshal

Hello everyone,
    I am a senior in college studying criminal justice. I have always wanted to be a deputy marshall. I was wondering if yall can give me any advice on the necessary steps to take in order to reach my goal (military, police experience, foreign languages, masters degree, etc.) Many people have told me to go into the military, many have told me to get a few years of police work, and many have told me that its impossible to get in. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

U.S. Marshal

I'd suggest going to the source, which in this case would be the Marshal's Service website. Believe you'll find them in the Justice Dept site. Essentially, the position of Deputy Marshal is Federal Civil Service. Military experience would be a plus, and would likely entitle you to some Veteran's points on your exam. You might wish to check with the Marshal's Service to see what type of college credits they require etc. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by justinf357
      Hello everyone,
      I am a senior in college studying criminal justice. I have always wanted to be a deputy marshall. I was wondering if yall can give me any advice on the necessary steps to take in order to reach my goal (military, police experience, foreign languages, masters degree, etc.) Many people have told me to go into the military, many have told me to get a few years of police work, and many have told me that its impossible to get in. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
      Check this web sire every so often www.usajobs.opm.gov. Click on job search, click on series, type in 1811, the US State you want to work in, grade 1 through 12, click no. then search. FBI, Secret Service and DEA will pop up right now. Once they annouce it will be there. also check out the series 0080. A while back these officers (employed with DOJUSMS) we being converted with out taking the entrance exam. There was a hiring freeze on agent. When the freeze was over they converted those officers.
      live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

US Marshal's are 0082 series. If you do get on dont go to DC.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0
          US Marshal's are 0082 series. If you do get on dont go to DC.
          Correct on the type o it should be 0082 . I haven't spoke to a Dep. in a while but the reasons behind the TEMP series change (new hires) was so the agency did not have to spend money on 1811 pay. They started that post 9/11. Unless things have changed Deps. still are 1811's Also 0082's are not qualified by series to do Full criminal investigations like the 1811 series are authoried to do.
          Last edited by sob153; 04-11-2005, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sob153
            Correct on the type o it should be 0082 . I haven't spoke to a Dep. in a while but the reasons behind the TEMP series change (new hires) was so the agency did not have to spend money on 1811 pay. They started that post 9/11. Unless things have changed Deps. still are 1811's Also 0082's are not qualified by series to do Full criminal investigations like the 1811 series are authoried to do.
            Deputies have always been 0082 series. USMS utilized the 1811 series so they didnt have to pay OT. They went back to the 0082 series because a majority of the 1811's were not doing investigations but were sitting in cellblocks and court rooms doing the marhsal's basic job. Alot of 0082's are being utilized for court room security, prisoner transport and cell block detention. The USMS also detention officers who I belive top out at GS-07.

Comment

Thanks for the information yall, its greatly appreciated. Do you guys know about how long it will take once into the USMS to get to chase fugitives? How many years, etc? IF yall had to choose, which federal law enforcement agency, or administration would yall go with?

Comment

It depends upon the district you get assigned to. It can be anywhere from 6 months to forever (remember this is the federal government) and you better hope wackenhut dont come into get your job contracted out.

If I had my choice of federal agencies, I wouldnt choose any of them. I spent 4 years too many with the the feds.

Comment

Thanks for the info Orlando. Which agency did you work for if you dont mind me asking?

Comment

Deputies have always been 0082 series. USMS utilized the 1811 series so they didnt have to pay OT. They went back to the 0082 series

Comment

Originally posted by sob153

Remember LEAP only goes so far for the 25%. There was a case where 1811 deputies were stuck in cell blocks and courts and basically would go home after the LEAP time. The USMS and FLEOA went to court and it was ruled that they had to pay OT on top of the 25% LEAP for alot of the time. It was cheaper (0082s are lower graded journeyman) for them to pay straight OT to 0082's and DEO's (I think they are 1802 series) than to have 1811's sitting in court rooms and cell blocks. Why they werent reclassied isnt beyond me but who knows how the minds of the USMS and DoJ work.

I worked for the VA and DoD.

Comment

Originally posted by justinf357
                        Thanks for the information yall, its greatly appreciated. Do you guys know about how long it will take once into the USMS to get to chase fugitives? How many years, etc? IF yall had to choose, which federal law enforcement agency, or administration would yall go with?
                        Speaking from experience, I went out with the Fugitive Task Force about two weeks after I got here. I did have 4 1/2 years experience with the Border Patrol, however. The only thing I can say is every district is different. Most 082's get to work warrants, under the supervision of an investigator. They are there to kick in the door and clear the house, and to put the "Habius Grabbus" on the fugitive.

That being said, the court load and the judiciary do come first. When and only when the court operations obligations have been met does ANY deputy, 1811 or 082 get to work the street.
                        "The bravest are surely those who know exactly what lies before them, glory and danger alike, yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it"

Comment

BKorver, how long did it take for you to get into the Marshall Service? What kind of experience/education do they look for? What are some things I can do and work on to get in? I really appreciate the info, you guys have no idea how much this helps me understand. Thank yall.

Comment

Remember LEAP only goes so far for the 25%. There was a case where 1811 deputies were stuck in cell blocks and courts and basically would go home after the LEAP time. The USMS and FLEOA went to court and it was ruled that they had to pay OT on top of the 25% LEAP for alot of the time. It was cheaper (0082s are lower graded journeyman) for them to pay straight OT to 0082's and DEO's (I think they are 1802 series) than to have 1811's sitting in court rooms and cell blocks. Why they werent reclassied isnt beyond me but who knows how the minds of the USMS and DoJ work.

I worked for the VA and DoD.
                            I'll explain our version of LEAP. We are scheduled for 50 (10 hrs a day)hours a week. The only time we get over time is when we are scheduled for anything more. If I came in Monday was scheduled for 10 hrs and lets say something happened and my day went to 12 hrs, then you know what 2 hrs leap not OT . Now if Tuesday I was scheduled for 12 hrs then only 2 OT The first 2 hrs is LEAP WARPED AIN

Comment

Why not look for a large local agency that has a Warrants Unit? You'll get to do more of a semblance of Law Enforcin' and a lot less Baby sittin', and the added bonus is that you will have to get some experience in the streets and exposure to other LE options before you get to where you think you want to go right now.

I am afraid that a Fed job may dissillusion you.

If I am wrong, one of you Fed boys straighten me out please.
                              Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4344 users online. 241 members and 4103 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X