Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun question

Its been awhile since I went shooting.

I want to buy a gun. I know that I need a permit and to take a class and all that.

I want to know what is the "right" gun for a beginner.

The last gun I used to shot with was a guy whom was in the academy for the Alameda Co. Sheriff.

I also tested out my bf's gun (without the bullets) to see of it fit my hand right. It did considering it was made for him. Sorry,can't remember what kind of gun his was.

I will ask him when I see him.

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks,

BBB
    Last edited by BaseballBabe; 04-02-2005, 09:13 PM.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

As an instructor, I would have to say that it depends on what your goal is.

If you are heading into LE, you should see what your intended agency will allow. Likely you will be pretty safe with a 40 caliber of reputable manufacture.

If you want something to carry conceiled, you might need to look at something in lessor caliber (9mm or even 380) to decrease the size.

If you have not shot much at all, I would say start with a .22 so you won't develope any bad habits as you learn. Once you learn HOW to shoot, you can then move up to a larger semi auto and get used to doing what you know with the bigger gun.

Which ever gun you choose, make sure it does fit YOUR hand. (at least as much as possible) ......and buy a LOT of ammo....maybe even as much as 1500 to 2000 rounds to get solid with a new gun if you have not shot much in the past.

Check the firearms thread for the debate part of yer answer ....
    An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

You may want to skip purchasing a gun until you get to the academy. This way you won't develop any bad habits.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by USAcop
        You may want to skip purchasing a gun until you get to the academy. This way you won't develop any bad habits.

Good luck
        i concur with this post... but if you must buy one, I would get a .38 special. the smaller and lighter it is, the more kick it will have, just FYI.
        also, I would recommend the smaller one because you could use it as a backup when you are out of the academy and on the road. but if you are single and get to do what you want with your money, you dont have to think about what you will use the gun for later.... just buy another one!

Comment

Try before you buy! Find a range that rents guns and offers certified (NRA) instructors. That way you can try different guns with someone who has some credentials. I agree that when you are first starting out, buy a .22. The ammo is so much cheaper, and you can always sell that to buy something else.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
            Try before you buy! Find a range that rents guns and offers certified (NRA) instructors. That way you can try different guns with someone who has some credentials.
            I agree here. You MUST be comfortable with what you have in your hands. As far as a Dept. weapon, some agencies have a choice... some don't. If you have applied to an agency already, check and see what weapons they carry. Then go to the range to try it out. Good luck
            live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

Originally posted by USAcop

Good luck
              I really can't stand when people say that. Would you tell someone not to try to start working out or get in shape before the academy cause you'll learn that there? No? Well it's the same concept. When I went through the academy I had been shooting since I was 14 years old. I was shooting perfect scores and didn't have to have an instructor say one word to me the entire week other than "wow nice shootin". On the other hand the people who never shot a gun before were having a much more difficult time. In fact 5 of them are not cops today and got kicked out of the academy because they couldn't learn to shoot well enough to qualify in 1 week of training (which I find to be a ridiculous time limit anyway).

My advice is to find someone who will teach you the RIGHT way to shoot and start practicing now. The police academy is not the only place in the world that has instructors to teach you to shoot correctly. In fact the way they taught us to shoot in my academy was rather poor IMHO, quite useless for anything on the street when you would need to be in a hurry and people would be shooting back at you.

Comment

Just for the joy a 1911.

Check out here:
                http://forums.1911forum.com/

Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                between you
                and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

+1 Sgt. Kelly Thank the good Lord above it is back up...I was drinking sugar water for a week
                  Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3379 users online. 237 members and 3142 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X