Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do COPS on T.v go easy on people?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do COPS on T.v go easy on people?

    I watch cops all the time. I never miss it when its on. Do the cops go easy on the criminals when they are on camera? It somtimes seems like they really want to lash out but they are holding themselves back.

  • #2
    Originally posted by USANG~31Bravo
    I watch cops all the time. I never miss it when its on. Do the cops go easy on the criminals when they are on camera? It somtimes seems like they really want to lash out but they are holding themselves back.
    You have to ask them. Check your local PD they might have ride-a-longs. Check it out for yourself
    live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

    Comment


    • #3
      Anyone reading this ever been on cops?

      Comment


      • #4
        Departments usually assign the camera to the suck ups. The ones that don't go out daily and do the job. There have been shows where the officers selected are real reg street guys and you know they are holding back because the camera is there.

        Sure the bad guys get a break and most often don't get handled in the normal manner like real cops would do.
        Last edited by Bodie; 03-30-2005, 05:27 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have seen ONE call where the officers acted "real." Was the pursuit in Ft. Worth with the white Dodge van that ran quite a few people off the road. They drug him out the back of the van after he crashed out and whooped him! Like I said, that's the only time I can actually recall the officers doing what they'd normally do.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't know that they always give the camera crew to suck-ups. I remember an episode in New Orleans during Mardi Gras when a sergeant got ****ed off at an arrestee, pulled the arrestee's hat off his head, threw it on the ground and stomped on it, all on camera.

            I wonder how many days off that cost the sergeant?
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bodie
              Departmenst usually assign the camera to the suck ups. The ones that don't go out daily and do the job. There have been shows where the officers selected are real reg street guys and you know they are holding back because the camera is there.

              Sure the bad guys get a break and most often don't get handled in the normal manner like real cops would do.

              And just maybe there are some suck ups in this forum. Not suggesting anyone, just speculating.
              "Support Our Troops"

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, I have been on COPS. I beleive officers take it way easy on people while on the camera. Our agency screens the footage prior to it being released. COPS rides long hours to get a small amount of footage, the chases and fights you see don't happen every shift, or at least not when a TV crew is with your unit. The COPS crew guys are great! They have been doing it for 15 years, they know more about police work than some officers. It amazes me that the idiots who get filmed (suspects) always sign the consent form to release the footage to be aired. If they don't give consent, they can't show the people on TV. Anyway, just my thoughts. I have also had discovery channel and A&E ride, but the COPS guys are the tops...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by VegasMetro
                  Yes, I have been on COPS. I beleive officers take it way easy on people while on the camera. Our agency screens the footage prior to it being released. COPS rides long hours to get a small amount of footage, the chases and fights you see don't happen every shift, or at least not when a TV crew is with your unit. The COPS crew guys are great! They have been doing it for 15 years, they know more about police work than some officers. It amazes me that the idiots who get filmed (suspects) always sign the consent form to release the footage to be aired. If they don't give consent, they can't show the people on TV. Anyway, just my thoughts. I have also had discovery channel and A&E ride, but the COPS guys are the tops...
                  Think I remember the discovery channel doing a thing on vegas metro a while back

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by L-1
                    I don't know that they always give the camera crew to suck-ups.
                    It depends on the department, but it's pretty easy to spot the suck-ups.
                    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm reminded of an older episode I've seen 2 or 3 times. In it, the officer was getting the runaround from someone he pulled out of a car on a traffic stop. You can tell the cop was getting frustrated, then he said, "Are you deaf, or just...". He let the "stupid" hang. I figure that's when he remembered there was a camera and a sound guy with him.

                      Regarding the COPS crews, I watched a 'Behind the Scenes' show about COPS on VH1 a few weeks ago. The producer was being interviewed and he said they have a rule that the crews are not to get involved in the action and don't get shown on camera. The two exceptions he pointed out were the episode where a sound guy who was a former EMT ended up helping a cop do CPR and the famous T-bone show, where the cop car get's T-boned by another unit as they're both racing to the same call. They showed the crew a little bloodied in that one. But I also swear I recall an episode where a cop was struggling with a guy on the ground and it looked like the guy was getting the upper hand on the cop. I think the camera guy ended up jumping in and helping subdue the subject. The cop thanked the camera guy once the BG was in custody. Am I misremembering that?
                      Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Kirch,

                        you remember correctly. There have been several episodes where you can tell the camera man or a guy handling the microphone has gotten involved. I saw a Cops episode the other night where a female cop had two suspects on a traffic stop. She secured one in her car and was starting to secure the second when he took off towards the camera. It looked like the suspect ran into one of the crew, the cop caught up and the fight was on. Within seconds you could see she had the suspect on ground, and an unknown hand and arm helping with the handcuffing. Then back-up arrived.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kirch
                          I'm reminded of an older episode I've seen 2 or 3 times. In it, the officer was getting the runaround from someone he pulled out of a car on a traffic stop. You can tell the cop was getting frustrated, then he said, "Are you deaf, or just...". He let the "stupid" hang. I figure that's when he remembered there was a camera and a sound guy with him.

                          Regarding the COPS crews, I watched a 'Behind the Scenes' show about COPS on VH1 a few weeks ago. The producer was being interviewed and he said they have a rule that the crews are not to get involved in the action and don't get shown on camera. The two exceptions he pointed out were the episode where a sound guy who was a former EMT ended up helping a cop do CPR and the famous T-bone show, where the cop car get's T-boned by another unit as they're both racing to the same call. They showed the crew a little bloodied in that one. But I also swear I recall an episode where a cop was struggling with a guy on the ground and it looked like the guy was getting the upper hand on the cop. I think the camera guy ended up jumping in and helping subdue the subject. The cop thanked the camera guy once the BG was in custody. Am I misremembering that?
                          If you ever go to the COPS website ( http://www.cops.com ), in the FAQ section, it says the crew is 'Police Trained', whatever they mean by that. I assume they have been through some type of academy.
                          "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

                          Romans 13:4

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Delta784
                            It depends on the department, but it's pretty easy to spot the suck-ups.

                            Arent those the ones always wiping their mouths
                            THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

                            Patience with ignorance

                            Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

                            I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

                            When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

                            Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by aktrpr
                              you remember correctly. There have been several episodes where you can tell the camera man or a guy handling the microphone has gotten involved. I saw a Cops episode the other night where a female cop had two suspects on a traffic stop. She secured one in her car and was starting to secure the second when he took off towards the camera. It looked like the suspect ran into one of the crew, the cop caught up and the fight was on. Within seconds you could see she had the suspect on ground, and an unknown hand and arm helping with the handcuffing. Then back-up arrived.
                              Yeah, I saw that one too. I thought that's what happened there, but it wasn't as obvious as the one I referenced above. I like how that female cop took out the young kid, and on national television, so all his homeys can see it. Interesting with that episode -- that kid was saying 'yes' but his body language was screaming 'I'm gonna run'.
                              Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6858 users online. 323 members and 6535 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X