X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ag9295
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2005

Death Penalty

I would like to ask a question about the death penalty (background research). Do you believe in it, do you believe in it in certain circumstances, or do you not believe in it at all? My take on it is that much as I would love to see certain criminals put to death, in fact could probably even pull the switch myself on certain crimes, I have a hard time with it because of my religion. I'm Catholic and it's ingrained in me that only God has the right to take a life, no matter what kind of scum sucking bottom feeder it is, and no matter how much I WANT someone to be executed. The only circumstance I personally feel comfortable applying it is when a police officer is killed. The reason is that to me, if the death penalty is applied across the board than there is no reason for someone who has already commited a death penalty offense to not kill an officer - after all he is already going to die by execution, so why not kill a police officer. (And by the way, let's be clear, life in prison should be life in prison and certain crimes should forfeit the right to ever be released into society again, unless they're coming out in a casket). If however he will not get the death penalty unless he kills an officer it may prevent him from killing an officer. And it's not that I neccesarily hold an officer's life in higher regard, but they are our last line of defense and just the very fact that their job requires them to accept the risk of dying to protect us means that we need to honor their service. Besides, I want the officers I know and love to come home at night.
  • BullCity_45
    Shoalin Priest
    • Aug 2003

I am glad to see that you still have strong religious ties. Unfortunately I do not. I think some people need the Death Penalty, therefore, I am an advocate for the "one-for-one exchange."
    "Its not cheating, unless you get caught."-Al Bundy

Comment

• Mraughh
      Right Wing Fanatic
      • Feb 2005

I support the death penalty absolultely. Although I am not happy with how the system is currently set up. Just think of how much money would be saved if we didnt have to house those prisoners for all that time waiting for them to die. As a matter of fact, I think we should bring back public executions. I was fortunate one time to have a conversation with an older woman who saw the last public hanging in Ebensburg. She told me that seeing that man die kept her on the straight and narrow for the rest of her life, it affected her that much.
      There are people out there who no matter how harsh a penalty is, they will still commit crimes. Just look at the old west. Stealing a horse was a hanging offense yet you still had outlaws commiting the crimes. But I guarentee you, that once hanged they never commited that crime again.
      Liberalism is a mental disorder
      -Resistance implies Guilt-

Comment

• ag9295
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2005

[ But I guarentee you, that once hanged they never commited that crime again.[/QUOTE]

I think some people need the Death Penalty}

I agree with both of you. It's just my pesky religious upbringing that keeps rearing its head. Like I said, I think I could personally pull the switch myself on some of the scum bags. I wouldn't mind if some of them suffered a little first.....Or how bout we ship all of them to a remote island they can't get off of and let them kill each other off. These feelings are part of why I feel like I need to embrace my faith and remember to let God be the judge, I feel like I am trying to put myself and all my hateful thoughts above God's will.
        These are just my own opinions and I'm not in LE so I defer to everyones knowledge and experiences and I truly hope that I don't offend anyone with what I said.

Comment

• Netopalis
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mraughh
          I support the death penalty absolultely. Although I am not happy with how the system is currently set up. Just think of how much money would be saved if we didnt have to house those prisoners for all that time waiting for them to die. As a matter of fact, I think we should bring back public executions. I was fortunate one time to have a conversation with an older woman who saw the last public hanging in Ebensburg. She told me that seeing that man die kept her on the straight and narrow for the rest of her life, it affected her that much.
          There are people out there who no matter how harsh a penalty is, they will still commit crimes. Just look at the old west. Stealing a horse was a hanging offense yet you still had outlaws commiting the crimes. But I guarentee you, that once hanged they never commited that crime again.
          ^^^ Couldn't said it better myself.

Comment

• retired
            Senior Veteran
            • Jun 2000

Originally posted by ag9295
            [ But I guarentee you, that once hanged they never commited that crime again.

I agree with both of you. It's just my pesky religious upbringing that keeps rearing its head. Like I said, I think I could personally pull the switch myself on some of the scum bags. I wouldn't mind if some of them suffered a little first.....Or how bout we ship all of them to a remote island they can't get off of and let them kill each other off. These feelings are part of why I feel like I need to embrace my faith and remember to let God be the judge, I feel like I am trying to put myself and all my hateful thoughts above God's will. QUOTE]

Why would your religious upbringing deter you from supporting the DP? There is an abundance of killing, torture, and violence advocated in the bible.
            Retired

Comment

• Delta784
              Battering Ram of Justice
              • Aug 2004

I support the death penalty, mostly because I have yet to see someone escape or get paroled from a cemetary.
              Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

• BullCity_45
                Shoalin Priest
                • Aug 2003

...like i said, sum people need killing.
                "Its not cheating, unless you get caught."-Al Bundy

Comment

• ag9295
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2005

[QUOTE=retired]I think some people need the Death Penalty}

I agree with both of you. It's just my pesky religious upbringing that keeps rearing its head. Like I said, I think I could personally pull the switch myself on some of the scum bags. I wouldn't mind if some of them suffered a little first.....Or how bout we ship all of them to a remote island they can't get off of and let them kill each other off. These feelings are part of why I feel like I need to embrace my faith and remember to let God be the judge, I feel like I am trying to put myself and all my hateful thoughts above God's will. QUOTE]

Why would your religious upbringing deter you from supporting the DP? There is an abundance of killing, torture, and violence advocated in the bible.

Well, one of the beliefs in the Catholic faith is that all life is precious. I do not believe in abortion, because my faith says that that is taking a life. I was brought up with the notion that God is a loving and forgiving God who asks us to live in a way that follows His teachings and not to judge others. That's how I;m supposed to live my life, but like I said, sometimes I fall short in that regard because of my thoughts about the death penalty and wanting vengence for the victims and families and society in general. Catholicism does not advocate killing or torture or violence, just the opposite in fact. And Catholics are not Fundamentalists who follow the Bible word for word.
                  These are just my personal beliefs and I'm not trying to sway anyone or offend anyone with my thoughts. I was just curious how others in le feel about the death penalty.

Comment

• Netopalis
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2004

[QUOTE=ag9295]
                    Originally posted by retired

Well, one of the beliefs in the Catholic faith is that all life is precious. I do not believe in abortion, because my faith says that that is taking a life. I was brought up with the notion that God is a loving and forgiving God who asks us to live in a way that follows His teachings and not to judge others. That's how I;m supposed to live my life, but like I said, sometimes I fall short in that regard because of my thoughts about the death penalty and wanting vengence for the victims and families and society in general. Catholicism does not advocate killing or torture or violence, just the opposite in fact. And Catholics are not Fundamentalists who follow the Bible word for word.
                    These are just my personal beliefs and I'm not trying to sway anyone or offend anyone with my thoughts. I was just curious how others in le feel about the death penalty.
                    You have my respect for standing on your beliefs. And not trying to sway anyone.
                    Last edited by Netopalis; 03-23-2005, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• TRichie
                      Forum Member
                      • Apr 2004

Dp

I believe in the death penalty 100%. I also agree with the idea of public executions. Even using "old sparky" again would be good. The power grid has seen great improvements since it was last used. Huntsville would experience the blackout/brownout conditions it used to during an execution. Lethal injection is just too easy in comparison to the crime committed. Here in Texas we are about to execute our 4th death row inmate of the year and we are behind our "normal" schedule.

I can see you religious feelings but early in the Bible the phrase "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" is used and that is where I derive my death penalty feelings from. Why should some scumbag that knocked off a gas station and then killed the attendant and 2 or 3 other innocent people be allowed to sit in prison and do nothing that contributes to society for the rest of his/her life while living off my tax dollars?

I was a witness to an execution a last year. I was hard for me because the guy murdered my best friend. But I did get some closure from it. Knowing that he could never hurt someone else was the most important aspect. Just because someone is serving a life term, that doesn't mean they don't pose a risk to toher people. They can injure or kill correctional officers, or escape like the Texas 7 did a few years back and go on a multi-state crime spree. I see it as the ultimate way of protecting everyone from this person.
                      Just my $0.02 on the matter

Comment

• ag9295
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2005

Just because someone is serving a life term, that doesn't mean they don't pose a risk to toher people. They can injure or kill correctional officers, or escape like the Texas 7 did a few years back and go on a multi-state crime spree.
                        Good points, and to be honest I never actually considered them until you mentioned it.

I was a witness to an execution a last year. I was hard for me because the guy murdered my best friend. But I did get some closure from it. Knowing that he could never hurt someone else was the most important aspect.
                        I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope I didn't upset or offend with my comments about the dp- that was not my intention at all.

Comment

• FNA209
                          We Patrol Night and Day
                          • Apr 2003

Keeping my response short:

Death Penalty- YES.

Does it conflict with my religon- NO. I interpert "Thou shalt not kill" to mean "Thou shalt not [commit] murder". (Found in most older translations of the bible.)
                          "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

• Mraughh
                            Right Wing Fanatic
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by retired
                            hehe, I had a feeling you would point that fact out. Or used the crusades or the inquisition as an example.
                            Liberalism is a mental disorder
                            -Resistance implies Guilt-

Comment

• squad51
                              STORM THE CASTLE!
                              • Sep 2003

I really have mixed feelings about this...
                              But did anyone see the movie starship troopers? There is a scene with the news "a murderer was arrested today and here is his trial," cuts to a scene of a prisoner being brought before three judges, and they say guilty cuts to a scene of the lethal injection chair "the execution will be tonight at 5pm on all channels. Kinda cool
                              Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 21295 users online. 41 members and 21254 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...