Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying for an academy

Hi everybody,
    I just joined this forum hope to learn a lot here. Anyway for my question, does anybody know of any academies that take civilians in louisiana. I have yet to come across any and the ones I call say no. Or if anybody knows of one within the surrounding states. Also the first place I applied to be a reserve told me to wait two years, but I don't what to just sit around because next to I apply I plan to go for full time. I want to show that I'm truly dedicated. So since I have to wait a little bit don't know how long the academy training would be good for if not immediately hired by a department. Thanks in advance for your help.

There are none in Louisiana that you can pay your own way...do they take citizens, yes..lol...but you have to be hired by a department first. Most agencies in LA fall under civil service, so you have to take the test, apply to a department and then if hired, they will send you to an academy somewhere in the state. Then you are POST certified. Other states are different. Where in LA are you?
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

There are plenty of them in Texas.

Comment

Around here DUMB thing to do unless you do it with College Credit.
        90% of all that pay their way thru never get leo job.
        Something stops them. be it height/weight. Driving record or lack or education.
        Since it takes at least an Associate Degree to even get considered.

Comment

Originally posted by frogdust
          Hi everybody,
          I just joined this forum hope to learn a lot here. Anyway for my question, does anybody know of any academies that take civilians in louisiana. I have yet to come across any and the ones I call say no. Or if anybody knows of one within the surrounding states. Also the first place I applied to be a reserve told me to wait two years, but I don't what to just sit around because next to I apply I plan to go for full time. I want to show that I'm truly dedicated. So since I have to wait a little bit don't know how long the academy training would be good for if not immediately hired by a department. Thanks in advance for your help.
          check out the community colleges that border alabama and florida,

this state it's more or less the rule: the agency signs off on the paperwork
          to sponsor you, and you actually pay the cost.
          unless yr going to a corrections academy, then the agencies in fla
          foot the entire bill.

big metro agencies may sponsor and pay

in south fla, the agencies sponsors and pay.

depending on what state yr in, the northern states the economy's seem to never be growing and are stagnant, and police tend to stay on the job
          a long time....and when the big northern cities do seem to be hiring
          the cities tend to cess pools of corruption and racial tension.
          such as chicago, and detroit....
          " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
          " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Paying for an academy.

In Florida and Alabama, quite a few community colleges offer "Police Academy" courses. Successful completion is no guarantee you'll be hired by a law enforcement agency. Not knowing what your law enforcement career goals are, it's difficult to advise you. In general though, I'd prefer to be paid while attending the academy.

Comment

I live in the New Orleans metro area. I plan to finish my college degree in about 2 to 2.5 yrs in hotel, restaurant, and tourism, and Spanish. After that I plan to reapply to the department and several others. I just want to do whatever I can to improve my chances.

Comment

Bodie can u back that 90% up figure u just tossed at us. about ohio with some sort of ducumentation. Thats an awful strong number u just threw out.

Comment

I went through a 'pay' academy. I passed TCLEOSE (Texas Commision on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education) with an 80, I missed 40 out of 260 questions. I would say out of the 26 I went through with 20 are working in Law Enforcement now. When an agency carries your commision, it is still the same red, white, and blue card as all the other peace officers in Texas. Rio Salado Community College in Arizona is allowing you to change your TCLEOSE hours in to college credit for an AAS in Law Enforcement Technology, I believe it comes out to 39 hours of college credit.

I am not saying that it is the way to go, but it is an option.
                  Last edited by mrcarroll71; 03-20-2005, 12:46 PM.
                  “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”- Romans 12:12

Comment

TCLEOSE = Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education.

Comment

Originally posted by Reapp
                      TCLEOSE = Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education.
                      It was 8 am in the morning, I apologize, you are correct. That is what I get for being more concerned with grammer and spelling Nazis, next time I will be more careful with my acronyms, ehh.
                      Last edited by mrcarroll71; 03-20-2005, 12:55 PM.
                      “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”- Romans 12:12

Comment

In Georgia, you can also pay your way through. Couple folks in my academy class did that. I think it was 2 grand or around that. Some of them qualified for financial assistance also.
                        Liberalism is a mental disorder
                        -Resistance implies Guilt-

Comment

It is 2500 here in PA for the Act 120 certification
                          Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty thigns

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8399 users online. 401 members and 7998 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                          X