300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes and Law enforcment

Hi, my name is Jeremy and ive been dreaming about being in federal law enforcment for years now. I recently got diagnost with type one diabetes in november(kinda sux cause im only 17). I am concerned now because im not sure if i can pursue a career in federal law enforcment because im not sure if there medical requirments will allow it(i know the military doesnt). I couldnt really find any information on it on the FBI website, so i thought i'd ask you all. Does anyone know if a person can get in federal law enforcment with Diabetes or any other form of Hyperglycemia? Thanks in advance

If its controllable with medication, I dont see why it will even become an issue.

Comment

It should no be a disqualifier as long as it is under control. How is the rest of your health. Are you overweight etc ???? If so get that under control now or that will count you out most places

Comment

Learn to speak Arabic, get a four year degree and the FBI will be kissing your *** begging for you to join. Diabetes or not
        Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

If it is controllable it really should not be an issue. There are actually laws that say they cannot discriminate if you can fulfull all of the qualifications. I really don't see where this should be a problem so long as you can self-medicate

Comment

Thanks you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear my stomach has been in a bind but now i feel good.

Comment

I don't know what the feds have to say about it, however, the California Commission on Peace Officer standards and Training publishes a Medical Screening Manual that addresses the effects diabetes on peace officers in great detail. I learned a lot reading from it. You can find it online at:

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Endo.pdf
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1, boil it down bro, can he serve or not? I can understand military saying no as there are times in the field he could not have meds avaiable, diet, etc but if he can easily control it with no ill effects....What's the bottom line?

Comment

Cruiser,

Didn't want to read all 40 pages?? (G)

The book pretty much leaves it up to the doctor's discretion, depending on the severity of the condition.

The whole gist of the publication is that diabetes poses a serious risk to the officer and the public. It is more than a matter of taking your meds on time. Even with the right meds, the illness can severely affect cognitive ability, motor skills, physical stamina, vision and internal organs just to name a few. This can severly limit an officer's ability to perform his duties. If it happens at the wrong time and in the wrong place it can be a real problem.

If a diabetic officer is hired, the recommended constraints and continuous employee medical testing requirements are extremely complex. Based on what I read, meeting these requirements would be so time consuming and disruptive that the officer would not be able to do his job effectively. In addition, the time and expense an employer must endure for a continuous medical testing program appears to go way beyond the scope of reasonable accommodation.

In other words, the outlook doesn't look too bright.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Take a look at this old thread. http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19639

It was a discussion re: asthma and getting hired, but deals with many of the same issues that you are concerned about (ADA coverage, life functions, job performance, affects on the hiring process etc.).

There's a link to ADA and hiring of LEO's, and one link to a site that discusses changes to the ADA's coverage of certain disabilities.

Comment

Hey, what can I say brother? I'm retired. It does sound like it could definately be a problem and looks like it has to be a case by case basis and depends on how severe it is I guess. With this in mind I'm afraid that none of the larger depts will take the potential financial risk involved. Maybe a small town will go along but it is hard to say. Shame that illnesses keep many potential good officers from reaching thier goals and dreams. I wish him the best but his safety and the safety of his fellow officers come first.

Comment

To those of you who say diabetes(Type 1) can simply be controlled by medication and diet, I am truly sorry to say that is not always the case.

How do I know? My Dad was a Type 1 diabetic all his life. That man religiously took his shots at the same time every day, ate a controlled diet at the same time every day, and never ate sweets unless it was to bring his blood sugar level up to it's proper level. Yet that man, at even the blink of an eye, could go into insulin shock with little or no warning. He had doctors bamboozled for years. He had to go on disability about the time I was born, on account of he nearly died. He'd been working as a mechanic/station attendant; the job was such a physical and mental stress both, he was going into insulin shock FIVE nights a week!

I'd hate to imagine him ever working in law enforcement. Any of us with any time at all in the job know about physical and mental stress, unpredicted overtime, unpredicted shift changes, unknown meal times(and those we have to go without). Let alone trying to maintain a regular time to take his insulin shot.

We get our bumps, bruises, and scrapes on the job. Not the thing for a diabetic to have happen, being they are subject to gangrene more than the rest. God forbid should a diabetic get stabbed, or bitten by a 4 or 2 legged animal.

There's more, but I think I have covered the worst of it.

I'm not trying to doscourage you, but one has to think this matter through, Choppa. I am also aware each diabetic is as different as his or her fingerprints, so perhaps you don't have a lot of the problems my Dad had. But you need to talk to your doctor to see what he(or she) thinks.

Some agencies will allow a Type 1 to be a police officer, while others won't, on account of risks involved(imagine going into insulin shock when in pursuit, or responding to a Code 3 call). Plus, in the long run, diabetes takes it's toll on your heart, kidneys, feet, and eyesight.

Best of luck to you.
                        Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10537 users online. 497 members and 10040 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X