300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another handcuff question

I own a pair of hinged Smith and Wessons and I was wondering what I could do to lubricate or slightly alter to the ratchet or 'teeth' to allow for easier/smoother/quicker rotation. Any suggestions, or is this one of the 'it is what it is' type of things?
    "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

Romans 13:4

Lubricate with Break Free, and constantly ratchet the cuffs when you have some spare time.

It's been my experience that S&W cuffs are a bit stiff at first, while Peerless cuffs are much smoother when new. S&W cuffs will loosen-up with time/use.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Yeah, if you don't have Break Free, most any penetrating oil will work. Then keep working them.

I drove my wife nuts when I bought my own second pair, 10 years ago.

Personally I always preferred my Peerless Hinged. I never had a locking mech. come apart like my first issued Smiths chain type did.
      Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
      --------------------------------------------------
      Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
      Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

The only real way to get a pair of cuffs broke in is to work them & work them until they are where you like them. Oils etc can stain leather gera etc and ruin clothing. A light coat of oil from a cloth like a gun cleaning rag is okay. and a drop on the lock is all you need.

Comment

After the first 5-600 arrests, they will loosen up.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

As already mentioned breakfree works well. Every couple of months I put a couple of drops on the hinge, drop a couple of drops onto the ratchet and put a drop or two into the key hole and sit in front of the TV and just work the bracelets until they are nice and smooth.
            The only thing we have to fear is change itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Creeker
              Yeah, if you don't have Break Free, most any penetrating oil will work. Then keep working them.

I drove my wife nuts when I bought my own second pair, 10 years ago.

Personally I always preferred my Peerless Hinged. I never had a locking mech. come apart like my first issued Smiths chain type did.
              Anything you wanna say about those new cuffs and your wife??? Or is that for Penthouse Forums
              "I pay your salary" Yeah So, Can I get a freakin raise???

It takes a village, this he knows is true

Comment

Originally posted by easy-e1
                Anything you wanna say about those new cuffs and your wife??? Or is that for Penthouse Forums
                Yeah, I wish She got over the "kink" factor before the wedding when I was breaking in my first pair.

There WAS the time when she tried on my matching 'cuff tie tacks in her ears... that wasn't funny, either...

She gets irritated when I fidget while we're watching the tube.

Ratcheting handcuffs for an hour kind of fits that category.
                Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Comment

Originally posted by Creeker
                  Personally I always preferred my Peerless Hinged.
                  I carry Peerless hinged as my second set, but I've found them to be oversized, which is great when cuffing a big boy, but not so great with the 90-pound junkies, who can just slide out of them.
                  Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                    I carry Peerless hinged as my second set, but I've found them to be oversized, which is great when cuffing a big boy, but not so great with the 90-pound junkies, who can just slide out of them.
                    I never had that happen, but don't they give you guys any flex cuffs?

BTW, I have an old pair of Bianchi Thumbcuffs that never were worth a dang either. I had to lock up too many people one night and used them on the most compliant one. Good thing, too, because when we got to the station he handed them thru the screen to me. That was before flex-cuffs came on scene.

Comment

I use graphite to keep my cuffs lubed, if ya wanna call it that. Like the other posts were saying oil will stain and make a mess,but a little bit wont hurt them. Give the powder graphite a try, hope it works for ya....

Comment

Originally posted by pd821
                        I use graphite to keep my cuffs lubed, if ya wanna call it that. Like the other posts were saying oil will stain and make a mess,but a little bit wont hurt them. Give the powder graphite a try, hope it works for ya....
                        I put powdered graphite in my firearm action once...just once.

I got gigged during an inspection right after that for having a dirty firearm. I couldn't convince them it was graphite and it went into my file.

Comment

Really....I've never used graphite in my firearm, i could see where that would be a violation in inspections....it can be a real mess. Like i said just a little bit in the cuffs is all ya need, then ratchet them for awhile. You should see them start to work real well, w/o oil on your hands...good luck

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3041 users online. 147 members and 2894 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X