X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creeker
    replied
    issued stuff

At my first 20 man Department back in '83 they issued everything except sox and a coat... vests were new on the market and I had to buy my own Second Chance. Shotguns were either self purchased (parkerised Mossberg 500 w/8 round mag) or sign out the S&W shotguns each shift. It was really pointless, because they forced us to mount them in the trunk. A blued model 10 was the firearm. I wasted no time replacing that with a stainless Ruger Service 6 in .357.

My last Department issued everything...Everything...stuff I never even wanted to wear they gave me... except winter gloves. I still have 4 pair of shoes they wouldn't take back when I pulled the plug.

Anybody need some pens?

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    we get everything issued to us except for shoes and socks.

Leave a comment:

• ironwill
    replied
    Originally posted by DMS 525
    Also, have we forgotten that equipment purchased for your occupation is tax deductible?
    Yes I did. Excellent point. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• DMS 525
    replied
    Other than uniforms, all the equipment I have ever used was my own. In spite of the expense, I would rather have it that way, especially for firearms. That way, I know I am the only one using the weapon, or has ever used it, knowing it has been well cared for and not abused.

I've used cruiser shotguns, but a lot of the time I'd much rather carry my own shotgun, too. At the least, my own shotgun ammo.

Many skilled tradesmen use their own tools, such as carpenters, mechanics, electricians, etc. That way, they know they can count on them when they need them, and no one else uses them, to neglect or abuse them. Why should LE be any different?

Also, have we forgotten that equipment purchased for your occupation is tax deductible?

Leave a comment:

• CGPD4566
    replied
    I for one would much rather by my sidearm over my ballistic vest. 500 vs 700+

Leave a comment:

• hanuman
    replied
    PBA pays for firearm and vest.

As large an agency as the NYPD is, you'd think that they would pay for your firearm, but they actually don't.

The firearm and the vests are provided to us at no cost by the PBA. We purchase our own off duty's from a list of authorized pistols (if you choose to buy one).

Uniforms, hats, equipment and all that come out of our own pockets.

Leave a comment:

• CPDZone9
    Guest replied
    Chicago does not provide sidearms.

Chicago does not provide UNIforms.

Chicago provides riot gear & the cheapest vest available. And that's it. If you want a better vest, you have to pay for it.

Oh, & no shotguns in the cars, either.

Leave a comment:

• ironwill
    replied
    Originally posted by ShortSeven
    I work for an agency in Colorado. The only thing I wasn't provided was a handgun. ...< SNIP >... My situation is fairly comparable to others I know at other departments.
    I looked up the policy of a few other PD's in the area and they also require the officer to purchase his own handgun. As to the subject of shotguns and rifles, I don't know. I would think that since your doing a job for them, they should provide you with the handgun as well as all the other equipment you'd use. Oh well.

Leave a comment:

• irishlad2nv
    replied
    Hect the first dept. I worked for my vest was out of date..so u bet I told my family to sue the **** out of the city if I was shot! But anyway, we got a grant for new vests and my crooked chief use it for other purposes...a**hole...thank god I am not there anymore.

A firearm is an esential function for the duties as a LEO. Why not provide it for your employees. It can be in the budget, but these buerocratic towns don't want to help out their own...

Leave a comment:

• ShortSeven
    replied
    I work for an agency in Colorado. The only thing I wasn't provided was a handgun. I was given a list of authorized weapons and bought whatever I wanted. The department does provide long guns to patrol that are checked out at the beginning of shift, ar15 and rem 870s. My situation is fairly comparable to others I know at other departments.

Leave a comment:

• Delta_V
    replied
    My agency provides handguns (G17), but not shotguns or carbines to those who are not on the tactical team. Officers can carry personally owned SiG or Beretta sidearms and must purchase approved shotguns and carbines if they wish to carry them.

I believe the local sheriff's office issues shotguns, but not sidearms. Not sure about the other municipal PDs in the area.

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    I think any agency that does not either buy the vest or cut the officer a check to buy one is .Well I know that wording would be axed as profane etc.

Leave a comment:

• ftlaudcop
    replied
    for road patrol:....buy your own handgun approved list
    bu y your own shotgun remingyon 870
    rifles and smg's...swat team.special units

jail: glocks unless yr still qualified with the firearm yr now
    carrying and yr qual slips are up to date,
    off duty; anything ya want, as long as you don't take official
    action.

o

Leave a comment:

• gogeter
    replied
    Anyone know what Broward SO policy on sidearms, shotguns, and rifles is as of today?

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    I took the opposite track. Most of the time, I preferred to carry my own handgun vs. what the Gov. issued. Just after I retired, they came down with a 'shall carry only our gun" policy. I would not have liked that!

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4763 users online. 287 members and 4476 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X