Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those departments that require you to purchase your own weapon...

Do abide by the states laws on having a weapon(s)? I mean how can the department keep a good track of your weapon then? If you would use it for recreation, etc...? I mean our weapons are assigned to us...by the department and they own it..
    I have never heard of such a thing, but that sucks for you guys!
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I don't know the history of agency's providing firearms for their officers, it probably in the last 20 yrs or so more agency's
      are doing it, except for big cities like nypd,
      it was very common in florida, and very common in illinois,
      as far as taget shooting, if ya wanted to do that you could,
      some places inspected yr private weapon, other's did'nt.
      my 1st agency when it came time to qualify, provided the 1st
      volley, if ya did not qualify then , the deputy had to provide the
      ammo, also..if you carried other than a 38 or 9mm, you had to qualify with your own ammo, and carry yr own ammo after qualification's. I guess a lotta things seem strange to
      the generation x'er's , but that's how things were.
      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

The Florida department I worked for('90-92) didn't provide a duty weapon. They DID, however, have an 'approved list' of duty ewapons you had to choose from. Neither did the Tennessee PD I worked for('00-04), until the last year(G22s). This department also had an 'approved list' of duty weapons, as well as forbidden duty weapons...SOME of which were FICTICIOUS! (Ex. single-action, centerfire Ruger automatic) Neither department furnished shotguns or rifles(unless you were on the TacTeam, then you had ALL weapons furnished).

FWIW, I had to buy my own vest, too.
        "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
        -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

I took the opposite track. Most of the time, I preferred to carry my own handgun vs. what the Gov. issued. Just after I retired, they came down with a 'shall carry only our gun" policy. I would not have liked that!
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Anyone know what Broward SO policy on sidearms, shotguns, and rifles is as of today?

Comment

for road patrol:....buy your own handgun approved list
              bu y your own shotgun remingyon 870
              rifles and smg's...swat team.special units

jail: glocks unless yr still qualified with the firearm yr now
              carrying and yr qual slips are up to date,
              off duty; anything ya want, as long as you don't take official
              action.

o
              " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
              " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I think any agency that does not either buy the vest or cut the officer a check to buy one is .Well I know that wording would be axed as profane etc.

Comment

My agency provides handguns (G17), but not shotguns or carbines to those who are not on the tactical team. Officers can carry personally owned SiG or Beretta sidearms and must purchase approved shotguns and carbines if they wish to carry them.

I believe the local sheriff's office issues shotguns, but not sidearms. Not sure about the other municipal PDs in the area.

Comment

I work for an agency in Colorado. The only thing I wasn't provided was a handgun. I was given a list of authorized weapons and bought whatever I wanted. The department does provide long guns to patrol that are checked out at the beginning of shift, ar15 and rem 870s. My situation is fairly comparable to others I know at other departments.

Comment

Hect the first dept. I worked for my vest was out of date..so u bet I told my family to sue the **** out of the city if I was shot! But anyway, we got a grant for new vests and my crooked chief use it for other purposes...a**hole...thank god I am not there anymore.

A firearm is an esential function for the duties as a LEO. Why not provide it for your employees. It can be in the budget, but these buerocratic towns don't want to help out their own...
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by ShortSeven
                        I work for an agency in Colorado. The only thing I wasn't provided was a handgun. ...< SNIP >... My situation is fairly comparable to others I know at other departments.
                        I looked up the policy of a few other PD's in the area and they also require the officer to purchase his own handgun. As to the subject of shotguns and rifles, I don't know. I would think that since your doing a job for them, they should provide you with the handgun as well as all the other equipment you'd use. Oh well.

Comment

Chicago does not provide sidearms.

Chicago does not provide UNIforms.

Chicago provides riot gear & the cheapest vest available. And that's it. If you want a better vest, you have to pay for it.

Oh, & no shotguns in the cars, either.

Comment

PBA pays for firearm and vest.

As large an agency as the NYPD is, you'd think that they would pay for your firearm, but they actually don't.

The firearm and the vests are provided to us at no cost by the PBA. We purchase our own off duty's from a list of authorized pistols (if you choose to buy one).

Uniforms, hats, equipment and all that come out of our own pockets.
                            <FONT COLOR=blue> It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.</FONT>
                            ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I for one would much rather by my sidearm over my ballistic vest. 500 vs 700+
                              In Memoriam:
                              Cpl. Chad Wayne Powell
                              USMC
                              Killed in Action
                              Fallujah, Iraq
                              June 23, 2005

Comment

Other than uniforms, all the equipment I have ever used was my own. In spite of the expense, I would rather have it that way, especially for firearms. That way, I know I am the only one using the weapon, or has ever used it, knowing it has been well cared for and not abused.

I've used cruiser shotguns, but a lot of the time I'd much rather carry my own shotgun, too. At the least, my own shotgun ammo.

Many skilled tradesmen use their own tools, such as carpenters, mechanics, electricians, etc. That way, they know they can count on them when they need them, and no one else uses them, to neglect or abuse them. Why should LE be any different?

Also, have we forgotten that equipment purchased for your occupation is tax deductible?
                                Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4737 users online. 270 members and 4467 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X