300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammar=Job

I have been through two tests now. It seems that the Departments are looking for Officers who can write reports, that
    Last edited by Caprice66; 01-15-2005, 07:22 PM.
    Stay Safe!!

Just keep plugging away and try not to focus on "the other guy" because that wasted energy will only add to your frustration. It accomplishes nothing.

I'm sure you'll get that LEO job, be patient it's only a matter of time.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I know I will fight to the end, it's the waiting that sucks.
      Stay Safe!!

Comment

Originally posted by BRICKCOP
        Just keep plugging away and try not to focus on "the other guy" because that wasted energy will only add to your frustration. It accomplishes nothing.

I'm sure you'll get that LEO job, be patient it's only a matter of time.
        One of my advisors, when I was involved with the explorer program, had to apply over and over. Why? The interviewer didn't like his Oklahoma accent. He is one of the best cops I have ever had the honor of knowing.
        -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

One of the most important assets a LEO can possess is good grammar. It makes the reports easier to read (and better as evidence), and he sounds well-educated on the stand. The best way to improve your grammar is to read. I get the Chicago Suntimes, and I read every article up to the commentary section every day. I also read alot of non-fiction books on historical topics. I've been told by DAs that I am a good person to have on the stand because I'm able to articulate so well. BTW, I don't mean to toot my own horn here.
          Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Comment

I would have to second Sigman. Proper communication skills, both verbal and written are essential to this job. It would be fair to say that the ability to articulate reasons for your actions are going to mean the difference between a conviction and acquittal. If you know what you are talking about and can convey that properly it will help you considerably. If you sound like a boob then that is how a judge/jury will see you and you will not make it very far. Reading is definitely a big help.

-web
            "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I hope it's as easy as grammar=job. I'm putting myself through the academy and I'll be starting the application process soon. My reading comprehension and grammar skills are good enough to teach English classes, but somehow I suspect that there will be challenges that I will struggle to overcome. You're just fixated on the grammar because it's your weak point. Everyone has a weak point that they have to improve upon, at least you've identified yours and it's fixable. It could be worse, you could be getting DQ'ed for background issues (that cannot be changed).

Comment

Everyone
                Last edited by Caprice66; 01-17-2005, 08:47 PM.
                Stay Safe!!

Comment

I have always liked to read, and still do to this day. This is probably why reading comprehension and grammar come easier to me. I read 2 books a week sometimes. But I like to read. Some people (my wife, for example) view reading as a chore. All I can suggest is to do what you're doing and find something, anything, that interest you and read it. I love magazines and subscribe to over a dozen monthly mags, but books are even better.

Doing the daily crossword can also help you out with reading and your vocabulary. A lot of the words won't seem to make sense at first (and some never will). But you'll get better at the crossword if you do it every day. If your paper has an easy crossword and a tough one definitely start with the easy one. And always read the answers the next day, that's where you can learn a lot. After you get to where you can complete the crossword then start timing yourself. I do the crossword each day at lunch (Nat'l news, then local news, then crossword is my routine while I'm eating) and when I can do the NY Times crossword in under 10 minutes I'm happy with my performance. Some days it seems too easy, and some days I can't finish it at all, but it exercises the brain.

Also, try reading the paper every day for your news instead of watching the TV. At least when you read the paper you only get the liberal bias in words, not in words and attitudes like on the TV, right?

You'll be fine if you stick with it. Grammar can be improved. Some people are fighting things that cannot be changed. Turn off the TV and pick up something to read, in 90 days you'll see a marked improvement. And so will people around you.

Comment

I believe I well start reading more. I read "what cops know", and got through the whole thing; not in less then a week though, lol. Then I went on to read a book about homicide, but did not go all the way through it. I well go back to it though and finish it. I appreciate your post, I will indeed try harder to stay in reading.

Thanks Odin, and good luck in your career pursuit.
                    Last edited by Caprice66; 01-18-2005, 01:20 AM.
                    Stay Safe!!

Comment

Reading is truly the key to writing.

If all you can bring yourself to read is the sunday comics, then read the sunday comix. The sports page. The obituaries. ANYTHING.

Remember, the incident happened EXACTLY AS IT HAPPENED ON THE REPORT FORM. If it didn't happen on paper, it DIDN'T HAPPEN.

If your report reads like a 6th grader wrote it, then as far as your superiors, the courts, and - most importantly - the jurors are concerned, the cop probably conducted himself like a 6th grader.

Cops as a group are action-oriented. They want to DO it, not write about it. Unfortunately, the writing part is probably the more important of the two.
                      "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Comment

I do not want you all to think I am bitching about everything
                        Funny, cuz that's what it sounds like

Without writing skills you will be shamefully put on display in court and everyone will laugh and you will lose when they read your report. Yes, it may have happened the way you say in the report and all the facts are correct, but when a lawyer has nothing else to go on they'll dig in their *** and spelling and grammar in a report may be the only thing they have to go on.

Today's helpful hint: alot is wrong, a lot is correct
                        We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

Grammar and spelling is not to be taken lightly. I had an instructor in college who was a former officer, chief, and deputy warden. He had an experience when he was an officer where he made a spelling error in a report and his supervisor threatened to fire him if it happened again. Needless to say the man became obsessive with correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. He carried it over to the way he taught his courses. Our grades weighed very heavily on our ability to spell and correctly use grammar. I thank him for that lesson.

I've been working at a college the last few years in the student housing department and a part of my job is disciplining policy violations and executing the evictions for the more serious infractions. When going through the eviction process I depend largely on the incident reports turned in by my resident advisors. I will not allow a shoddy report with sentence fragments, misspelled words/names, and poor grammar. It will not fly when those reports end up in the hands of an administrator in an appeals hearing. I'm sure the same thing goes for arrest reports in court.

If spelling and grammar is a weakness, work on it.

Comment

I've used this example before, but it bears repeating. It was told to me by an academy instructor.

An officer attempted an arrest and had to use his baton. As trained, he struck the subject on the lower leg. He dictated his report and said he struck the subject's 'shin'. But the police clerk who typed the report misheard it or mistyped it and the report ended up saying the subject was struck in the 'chin'. The officer ended up getting in some hot water for failing to file the appropriate use of force reports. A simple spelling error and you go to a whole 'nother level of force.
                            Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

The civil service tests here are basicaly 10 memorey questions and the rest is all reading comprehenion( sadly you can tell my spelling sucks but I carry a Franklin speller). I new guys that were studying alot of definitions like the diference between burglary and robbery, assault and harrasment, none of that was on the test. Luckily I've always been good at tests, You could make the best cop in the world but if you dont pass the civil service test you have no chance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4614 users online. 205 members and 4409 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X