300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 on the Civil Service test good?

I just got my score back from the New Jersey State Civil Service test and i got a 93.42. To me, 93 sounds pretty good considering it was my first time taking the test. But i was wondering how good a 93 really is. I am a white malethat is a resident.
    Last edited by BadBoy9782; 01-05-2005, 06:09 AM.

Don't know about in NJ but in Mass. generally speaking a score of 93 on the Civil Service exam is not typically high enough for consideration if you are a non-veteran, white male.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by BRICKCOP
      Don't know about in NJ but in Mass. generally speaking a score of 93 on the Civil Service exam is not typically high enough for consideration if you are a non-veteran, white male.
      Now I feel all better about the testing coming up.....
      Stay Safe!!

Comment

But i was wondering how good a 93 really is.
        Depends on A. What everyone else got, and like the other guy mentioned, B. What race and sex you are.

Comment

B. What race and sex you are.
          What a nice thought to know that these factors play any roll in whether you get the job or not.. I love this country!

Comment

Originally posted by StephWhit
            I got a 95 average, white female.
            DO you hire me????
            That depends...what do you look like? Can you cook?
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by heineken
              What a nice thought to know that these factors play any roll in whether you get the job or not.. I love this country!
              Amen to that..who cares if they can do the job, lets just make the race and gender qouta. Getting hired is looking better everyday.
              Stay Safe!!

Comment

93 here with 300 applicants MW no vetern points would put you in the lower half pretty much out of the running unless you are highly educated and have special skills.

Comment

I think if they give veteran points, they should give residency points too. I don't know of too many departments that use both, but it would be nice that if they used one, they'd use the other as well..

Comment

Originally posted by heineken
                    I think if they give veteran points, they should give residency points too.
                    In MA, residents in most cities & towns get absolute preference, which means that a resident that scores a 70 is called before the non-resident with the 100.
                    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Once got 100% but because I was a white male I was passed over in the late 70's for black males that scored 73 to 80. Department under court order to hire more minorities. A judge actually went thru the stack of applicants and told city who they had to hire. Some had backgrounds that did not pass standards but city had no choice.

Comment

93 on Civil Service Test.

Alabama allows a five point Veteran's Preference on entry level Merit System(Civil Service) Exams. If your actual score was 93%,and the 5 point preference applied, your score would be 98%. That would probably put you in the running for most positions including State Trooper, or other state law enforcement classifications.

Comment

So basically, as long as you have good grammar, your in. What BS. Of course my grammar sucks, but that is not the point. There are people coming in standing 5 foot nothing, and good grammar so they get the position. I just took a test, over 100 people showed up. I do not think of myself as above anyone by any means, but some of these people just don't fit the "bill". I'm sorry, just the way I feel.

Example: A friend of mine gets hired onto BART Police (a public transit system, they are like city police but just a transit system, same powers as a city officer). So anyway, he worked with a city PD for awhile, he was a tech. He got to know people and now he as letters of recommendation. So he easily gets hired. He tell me one day...."I think if I had to pull my gun out, I would sh#t myself". So, is this a "cop", not in my book.

I feel that a lot are like this, just from what I have seen so far.
                          Stay Safe!!

Comment

Instead of resenting people with better grammar who aren't as big as you, have you tried to improve yourself with any classes?

Comment

He tell me one day...."I think if I had to pull my gun out, I would sh#t myself". So, is this a "cop", not in my book.
                              Sounds like you have a little growing up to do. Most people don't want to have to use their firearm. If you're sitting here saying you wouldn't be scared, you're full of $hit! A cop is not defined by his eagerness to use his firearm. A person with sound judgement and common sense is what makes a good officer. If you're going to be the type of officer that can't wait to take his weapon out of his holster, do yourself a favor and others that may have the unfortunate fate of working with you and find another career path.

So basically, as long as you have good grammar, your in. What BS. Of course my grammar sucks, but that is not the point. There are people coming in standing 5 foot nothing, and good grammar so they get the position.
                              A pretty good sign that someone has poor grammar is by taking a written test. Guess what? If you can't write properly, you sure as hell can't speak properly either. The job of a police officer deals with a great amount of communication. If you're walking around talking like a moron, how professional do you think thats going to sound? Who the heck says that you have to be tall to be a good cop. My buddy's friend is a Sergeant down in Florida and he's all of about 5'6". He has no problem taking down tough guys that think they're bad. Its about tactics. Granted size helps, but its not a prerequisite in being a good police officer!

I think once your attitude AND your grammar improve, you might have some success and will find yourself not complaining about not getting a job!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2280 users online. 137 members and 2143 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X