300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many cops carry GUNS DAILY

RE: The posting about christmas shopping at the mall. Several LEOs have mentioned that they carry guns EVERYDAY EVERYWHERE they go. How many of you do too?

I don't carry everywhere, everyday. I do carry when I'm going to be anywhere with a large number of people.
    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Some departments I think require their off duty officers to be armed. That fact was proven to be unfortunate when in Rhode Island several years ago, and off duty Providence Police Officer was shot and killed when he was mistaken for a suspect as he came to the aid of fellow officers.

Comment

I work in small town U.S.A. so most of the time I do carry off duty. I know you think, "small town, no need". Here everyone knows you are a police officer, and when the poop hit the fan they are going to look at you to do something. I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I would have to say most of the guys don't around here, I even know a guy who doesn't when he is working!!!! That guy is a plan cloths detective though.
        Last edited by Rob 1529; 11-29-2004, 02:12 PM.
        In God we trust...everyone else gets searched.

Comment

Unless I'm going to be drinking alcohol, I carry a gun everywhere. Cutting the grass, raking leaves, you name it, and I'm carrying.
          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Becuase you are cops I imagine that that in and of itself makes it legal to carry a concielded weapn. Even though you're off duty? Or did you need a special permit? Call me stupid, say what you want I'm just a CIVILIAN!!

Comment

No, we don't need permits. And yes, I carry pretty much whenever I leave my property.

This subject has been beaten to death here a couple months ago...I'm to lazy to find the link, but maybe someone else here remembers a general idea of where to find it?
              Aggression will save you when caution won't.
              -Kent Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by civilian101
                Becuase you are cops I imagine that that in and of itself makes it legal to carry a concielded weapn. Even though you're off duty? Or did you need a special permit? Call me stupid, say what you want I'm just a CIVILIAN!!
                Don't worry...we make special exceptions for civilians. It's not really your fault!
                I guess it depends on the state. In KY, a sworn peace officer may carry concealed anywhere within the state, on or off duty, as long as s/he has the permission of their respective agency. No CCW permit is required (though many officers go ahead and get one anyway..that's another story).
                With the advent of the National Concealed Carry Law....current and most retired LEO are now able to carry concealed in all 50 states. (I'm not going to get into all the particulars of the law)
                I also carry concealed while off duty any and everywhere I go. It's just habit now after 14 years. And as Rob pointed out...I would rather have it and not need it than the other way around...any day!

Comment

Where do you wear it? Holster? Back of pants? Ankle Strap?

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Come on!! Serioulsy all at the same time?

Comment

Okay, I guess I'm not as lazy as I thought....here's a link to a previous discussion on off-duty carry.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...threadid=22671
                        Aggression will save you when caution won't.
                        -Kent Anderson

Comment

No, not all at the same time...lol, but depending on the type of pants I'm wearing, whether I'm wearing a shirt out or tucked in, or a myriad of other considerations...I will wear it in one of all of the places you listed.

Comment

Thanks. I browsed through the article and get the point.
                            Hey, on another subject can any CIVILIAN be on a ride along? Or do you have to have some special "in" to make that happen?

Comment

Has anyone, while carrying their weapon off duty, had a civilian see it, and freaked out about it, or has it caused any problems? Have you had to explain to someone why you're carrying it?
                              I am not afraid. I was born to do this.
                              -Joan of Arc

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3724 users online. 233 members and 3491 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X